Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I was very into Stephen King in high school, though I haven't read any of his books since 11/22/63. I can't say how good most of the books I read are, since that evaluation would be based on distant, nostalgic memories, but I'm still confident in saying that "1408" is my favorite short story of his.

1408 is an absolute ripper and everyone should read it

gey muckle mowser posted:

One author that I don’t see discussed much here is Joyce Carol Oates. I haven’t read any of her novels, but I’ve read a bunch of her horror short stories and they are excellent. Anyone a fan and have a recommendation for her?

If you like serial-killer stuff then Zombie is worth a look, it won't take up too much of your time anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

And surprisingly, I think House of Leaves very rarely got recommended in the old thread. I also have kind of cooled on it as a recommendation to friends looking for weird books because one of them did read it recently and didn't care for it. Or rather, he did care for everything but anything to do with Johnny Truant, which I can agree with and kind of makes me want to read the book again but skip all his sections. Or go through the book and cross out all the lovely Johnny Truant sections and go leave it at a bookstore somewhere, I like the idea of an increasingly weird and hand-edited copy of HoL wandering around town.

I stopped reading the Truant bits about a quarter of the way through, what'd I miss

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
spotted in tofino british columbia, it's a regular tourist gallery place but the name (and tentacles) made me unaccountably happy

with lovecraft's name in the nerd news again though it could lead to some pretty loving uncomfortable conversations for the owner

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

That has to be a little on purpose, right?

It’s absolutely on purpose, we checked with the owner:cthulhu:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm further along in this collection, and I'm kinda running out of steam. The first story (about a young actress caught up in a strange occult film) was pretty good, but the rest feel kinda like factory seconds from other authors - there's even a bad sequel to Laird Barron's Hallucigenia. I've still got about 20% of the book to go, but the collection has been pretty weak.

Does he awkwardly shoehorn his thoughts on 9/11 into any of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

Dead Sea is awesome at first, but it really drags out and ends poorly. I felt like it could have been a great novella at half its length.

This also describes Curran's Hive quite well