Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What's up with the horror genre producing less cool books than even like fantasy or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

The Wolf's Hour isn't strictly horror, but it has elements of horror. High concept: what if James Bond fought in World War 2, and was a werewolf?

I'd like to know what you think a low concept is if this is high concept

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Is Raw Shark Texts supposed to be a play on words of Rorschach tests?

No it's just a coincidence

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

The worst part for ME is when Hell is properly described for the 1st time and some of the demons are riding about the City of the Damned on bicycles. loving bicycles. I'm hoping I hallucinated that particular detail so please let me know if I'm mistaken.

A much better and unjustly much-neglected novel is The Shaft, by David Schow, which I read recently. Written in the late 80's, The Shaft is set in Chicago in the depths of winter and it's a gritty crime thriller where the supernatural elements are only slowly and subtly introduced (most of the key characters don't realise that they're actually starring in a horror story until it's FAR too late...).

This is a beautifully well-written book: I've read plenty of godawful horror, so I know something good when I see it. The key characters are deftly drawn and you really start to care about them, even the shithead drug dealer Cruz, who flees to Chicago after successfully daring his bosses girlfriend to leap from a hotel roof into the pool while they're all shitfaced drunk (you can probably guess how that turns out). Also, look at this front cover. LOOK AT IT:

In short, this book owns and everyone should read it.

Pretty cool this dude wrote a book about his cock with a pic on the cover and everything

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What if it was called house of jeeves and was an epic post modern reinterpretation of the pg wodehouse mythos and lore

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

This glorified picture book is too drat heavy!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

About a quarter into CORPSEPAINT by David Peak and if you're a fan of metal I'd say pick it up. No idea what happens, went in blind, but the idea of a Black Metal band producing a new album in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Europe should be familiar with you. There's not been much supernatural dread or horror up to now, but the characters are strong and you just know things are going to go south hard.

lol the book is about a black metal band from chicago going to ukraine to record an album, how false can you get?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

loving posers.

please don't entry unless you want to be burned and died

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i've never read ligotti but that current 93 album he wrote the lyrics for is badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i don't think uncooked sharks are very scary. seems like a big time fail for a horror book in this reader's opinion.