Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I was very into Stephen King in high school, though I haven't read any of his books since 11/22/63. I can't say how good most of the books I read are, since that evaluation would be based on distant, nostalgic memories, but I'm still confident in saying that "1408" is my favorite short story of his.

Oxxidation posted:

IT is longwinded in the extreme and includes a child sewer gangbang and still shows considerably more craft and wit than anything his kid's put to paper

also as king's gotten older he's turned misanthrophic and mean and it's benefited his more recent collections like Full Dark No Stars or Bazaar of Bad Dreams quite a bit

Weird. I gave up on Full Dark No Stars because the first few stories gave me the opposite impression, especially the dumb one about exercise and cholesterol or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

You're thinking about Stationary Bike from Just After Sunset, which was totally forgettable. FDNS was published years later.

Whoops. I guess I'll add those good collections to the pile.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Also everyone in this thread should give at least a passing glance to Blake Butler, especially Scorch Atlas and the first half of Three Hundred Million (it gets really, really loving abstract after a certain point that will be punishingly evident).

Scorch Atlas especially contains some of the best apocalyptic imagery I've ever read.

I have a copy of Scorch Atlas at home right now but I'm swamped with other stuff to read at the moment. I need a better way to manage my queue.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Gdanskman was my online handle in certain games I played for a few years after I first read House of Leaves.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I started reading The Familiar recently, but that's not horror (as far as I know). No footnotes this time.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i read four volumes of that stupid thing for some godforsaken reason and the memory of it fills me with blind rage

how many raindrops

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Ornamented Death posted:

I haven't read it, but at least one potential source of rage is that it likely won't ever be finished due to poor sales.

Aw, that sucks. Still understandable, because I'm checking them all out from the library instead of paying $75 for the whole first season.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I didn't mind the Truant parts when I first read HoL, but I was also into Chuck Palahniuk at the time. Once I'm done with The Familiar I'll check back and see how the book holds up.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I'm a big fan of Emrys's "The Litany of Earth," but I haven't gotten around to her other fiction or nonfiction articles yet.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Gonna rec Scorch Atlas for the nth time.

alright alright i'll read it

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Fallom posted:

I read Black Tom because people said it was good cosmic horror with a different perspective. I didn't realize it was supposed to be a companion piece and I probably still won't read the Lovecraft story.

Same for me. Until I found out about Red Hook, I thought it was a generalized rebuttal to Lovecraft's racism like Lovecraft Country.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd also be interested to hear recommendations for x-files-like books. I'm big on books where there's an expedition sent to figure out what the hell some weird thing is, but I haven't found many books that scratch that itch very well. Honestly The Sick Land is one of the better examples, if you're willing to read it in the blog format.

I haven't read nearly as much horror as the regulars in this thread, so take this suggestion for what it's worth, but The Sick Land is one of my favorites and I'll recommend it any chance I get.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I haven't touched The Dark Tower since high school (probably the best time to read it), but I only remember being disappointed by the sixth book.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Is Best Horror of the Year a good anthology? The tenth volume is on sale for $1.99 on Kindle.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

So Ligotti was Q all along?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Before this thread started, I decided to give my thoughts on every single story in The Weird in the cosmic horror thread and got sidetracked after a hundred pages IIRC. I contemplated picking that back up but now there are two threads I could do it in.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart is currently two dollars on Kindle. Is it worth it?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Also I liked Annihilation :smith:

The book was decent, but I like the movie a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

gey muckle mowser posted:

what (if any) Stephen King novels from the past 10-15 years are worth reading? Last of his I read was Under the Dome.

I really liked 11/22/63, but that's not horror.