Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Owlkill posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for sea/underwater-themed horror? Don't mind whether it's short stories or longer-form stuff - just tried scuba diving for the first time and it have me a horrors-from-the-depths itch

I liked 'Hell Ship' by Benedict J. Jones, 'Into the Drowning Deep' by Mira Grant was OK as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Can't remember the title, but I read this book by Koontz where he made sure to mention that the protagonist made his wife/girlfriend cum three times before he came himself like a true gentleman. There was also a a novel about time travelling Nazis, another one about a dog that was given human intelligence by the CIA, a poor Firestarter knock-off, and something about the CIA putting mind-controlling drugs in water with several detailed passages describing how the antagonist used said mind control to molest women.

What I'm saying is that Koontz is a horrible hack and I can't believe how many lovely horror novels I read in my youth.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
My favourite Nevill story is the one set in a capitalist dystopia, I wish he'd write more of this kind of stuff

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

Lost Girl?

ah, no, it was one of the short stories in 'Hasty for the Dark', I can't remember the exact title now.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, ok, thanks, I'll check it out.

I looked it up, the title is 'White Light, White Heat'.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Black Griffon posted:

Yo what's good space horror?

'Obscura' by Joe Hart

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Revival. I liked The Cell well enough too, but most people seem to dislike it.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Yesh posted:

Does anyone know of any haunted house/ghost stories with a strong cosmic horror element?

The House of Frozen Screams by Thana Niveau

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Seconding the Obscura recommendation, also the best space horror-adjacent movie is Sunshine

szary
Mar 12, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Is anybody writing throwback 80's movie style horror novels? I've read Final Girls and Camp Ghoul Mountain whatever, and neither were really what I'm looking for, assuming what I'm looking for even exists.

Basically I'm looking for somebody who is doing what Puppet Combo is doing, only in novel form rather than games. Campy, self-referential, but still genuinely scary homages to peak 80s horror.

Maybe 'Scapegoat' by Adam Howe/James Newman

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I've finished some horror novels recently, here are my absolutely 0 :effort: reviews.

Adam Nevill - The Reddening - strong start and middle but a lackluster ending, which really mirrors my experience with Nevill.
Todd Keisling - Devil's Creek - way too long, way too much gross and pointless sex stuff, avoid
Paul Tremblay - Survivor Song - this one felt a bit too shallow to me, like it never committed to analysing its themes but merely skated over them with some cursory commentary thrown in
Jason Parent - Apocalypse Strain - some fun body horror in this, it cribs from The Thing a bit too blatantly though

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Ariza posted:

Can anyone recommend any books that deal with suicide? Thanks! :cool:

'The End' by Gary McMahon

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Blastedhellscape posted:

I kind of want to read more stories in that sub-genre now.

Stick with Tremblay, that's basically his entire schtick. It's also what ultimately soured me on his novels.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I can do an anti-recommendation and say avoid Those Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero. I found it pretty bad and boring.

I liked it :(

nate fisher posted:

See my PM, there has a been misunderstanding (change your signature link lol) and you don't have to send me a record. Sorry for thread spam.

To add to the thread, but does anyone have cult type horror/thriller recommendations? I recently read Children of Demeter and Harvest Home, and want to see what else is out there.

Within These Walls by Ania Ahlborn

szary
Mar 12, 2014

FPyat posted:

I'm on the hunt for body horror in the mode of The Thing. Strange body plans, twisted appendages, surreal appearances, different creatures being morphed together, the works. Both people being mutated into weird forms and monsters that are just naturally that way are of interest to me.

Apocalypse Strain by Jason Parent

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I thought The Watchers by A.M. Shine was a really good folk horror novel.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I was spooked by certain parts of the Heart-Shaped Box and No One Gets Out Alive.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I quite liked The Acolyte, but it's not much of a horror novel

szary
Mar 12, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Can anyone recommend any books in the vein of The Clovehitch Killer and Summer of '84? Stories of kids suspecting local person/family member is a serial killer.

Bay's End by Edward Lorn

szary
Mar 12, 2014

escape artist posted:

I keep trying to read Boys in the Valley by Fracassi but everytime I get to the epigraph where he uses a My Chemical Romance lyric, I go "what the gently caress am I doing?" and read something else.

It's an okay book, but nothing special. It also felt like low-key Christian propaganda, but maybe I'm reaching here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Dead Silence had a good plot hook, but the reveal was a wet fart. I'll probably read the new one anyway, space horror is hard to come by.