Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

No One Gets Out Alice by Adam Nevill is very much a haunted house story and I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A Night In The Lonesome October is by Roger Zelazny and is actually very kid friendly. It is about a dog, his master, and a Ctulhuean ritual.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you cannot multiply by zero

IT is trash and anyone who says its their favorite book is also trash

Maximum Overdrive is good tho.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Dope

Ideas of eternal damnation or tortured souls in particular, especially when they are based on arbitrary things. Basically anything where the moral order of the universe allows for a perpetual state of punishment.

Roko's Basilisk style or just arbitrary Demiurge style?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A different take on Azathoth. https://zerohplovecraft.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/the-gig-economy-2/

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

There was a short story about owl monsters or possibly bear monsters vs a gang of outlaws. One of the outlaws shot a baby monster, maybe. Does that ring a bell?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Last Days is so good. Spooky cultists? No fucker, it's hell-spawn bird monsters time! :unsmith:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

There was a short story I read online that was about bear monsters loving up a gang of outlaws in the old west. It might have had massacre or monster in the title. It was good is all.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

grobbo posted:

It was both pretty inept and fundamentally light-hearted, but I just watched Velvet Buzzsaw and I was struck by how it probably had the most Ligotti-ish premise I've seen in mainstream cinema or TV.

('The Bungalow Tapes' for the macabre outsider art that reveals a hypnotic, horrific truth, or any story where a bunch of affected, competitive artists are destroyed by their exposure to something genuinely visionary and awful)

Am I missing anything else, that one unmade episode of the X-Files aside?

every story that references the King In Yellow is what you're looking for

It's a good collection of short stories but the title story is not as good as some of the pastiches of it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

MWINYD is a concise summation of Ligotti's actual beliefs imo. It's very good.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

My own white noise generator, sold.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cyberdud posted:

I had a weird streak where i was interested in the concept of copying one's mind into another body after playing a specific video game a while ago (I assume you'll figure out which one at the end of this post). So i went looking for books that tackle this concept in different ways.

One of those books were "Six Wakes" by Mur Lafferty, where a spaceship is in transit for a multiple generations voyage from earth to a new planet to colonize. Everybody on board is in cryosleep so the ship is being maintained by a skeleton crew of cloned criminals that are brought back to life at the prime age of 21 in peak physical shape each time they die with their cumulative memory up to that point (from the latest daily backup). Things seem to go wrong when they all wake up in new clones to find their previous corpses and no recollection of the 25 years that have elapsed since the trip began. So they must find who among them is the culprit and why they were brought back without the latest backup. That cloning technology being widespread in the world comes with some terrifying concepts and solutions but speaking about it too much would ruin the story.

Have just read the book thanks to your recommendation. Felt more like a mystery than horror, the clones were all at peace and basically avoided any body horror, even the dude who wasn't a clone. Book owned, thanks for mentioning it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Read The Death and Life of Schneider Wrack and really enjoyed it. It's sort of a high fantasy/horror mashup. An industrial labor zombie wakes up and things only get better/worse from there. Highly recommended.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good Witch books? My partner wants to read one for October, and the only ones I know of (but haven't read) are Hex, the Anne Rice witch series, Roald Dahl's book, and that's about it.

Anything from short stories to novels, old public-domain to modern, really any suggestion is welcome.

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

a foolish pianist posted:

I started Jeremy Robert Johnson’s The Loop last week, and so far, it’s pretty much just 90s teen horror film Disturbing Behavior (which isn’t a particularly good teen horror movie, even by the low standards of the genre). Anyone else read it?

Yeah I read all his stuff. I didn't think it was bad, I liked the antagonists. Also the stoner teen doing mushrooms seemed reasonably well written.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bilirubin posted:

Reading another Philip Fracassi chapbook, a little novella called Commodore. So far its like a weird Stand By Me, but the body isn't quite dead and its in a junkyard and is a car. Really needs a milkshake

This is set in the same setting as his short story Soda Jerk included in the chapbook Shiloh. He has a pretty unique style for horror IMO and is an engaging story teller

I'd never heard of this dude, just read Altar. Brutal, gently caress. Very good.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr. Nemo posted:

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. It was extremely gripping. It had been like a decade since i last read King novel, i'll probably work my way through his catalogue.

make sure to read his short story collections, a lot of them are imo better than his novels

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Trucks is the rare King short story so excellent it got turned into a movie twice.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Opopanax posted:

Do any good horror comedy books exist?

The John Dies At The End books (fourth one coming!) are very funny cosmic horror.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ceramic Shot posted:

I also enjoyed it a lot.

Has anyone read the same author's other works to completion? I read the preview of The Blacktongue Thief (fantasy) on Amazon and wasn't really impressed with the beginning, though the reviews are profuse in praise. First-person POV and a more standard fantasy setting don't really suit his writing style I think. The bleak, phantasmagorical not-kidding-Catholicism of B2F was a lot more charming.

I really enjoyed The Lesser Dead. A really interesting version of vampires. The Necromancer's House was also strong.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Finished In the Valley of the Sun. It was really great, western with vampires. The vampires don't know much about being vampires, which is the funniest kind of vampire.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Read the Wolf Hunt trilogy by Jeff Strand and they're all a lot of fun. They're gory but it's all so fun that mostly the comedy of a couple of middle-aged thugs trying to survive werewolves overwhelms the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch and it was really good. Cosmic horror and time travel. It's hard to talk about without spoiling it, it's not particularly gory but there's a fair amount of deaths.