Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Hi friends. One of the thread faves, Laird Barron, is very ill with a life-threatening condition. He's hospitalized after being sick since September, and John Langan among others are raising funds for his healthcare costs (he doesn't have health insurance).

here is the GoFundMe if anyone feels inclined to kick it some cash.
I really enjoyed Swift To Chase. Lard Baron's other collections were great but I found them a tiny bit repetitive (big dicked, hard drinking protagonist goes into the forest and finds A Satan). Swift to Chase solves the "problem" by leaning hard into it, using the same cast of characters but changing the perspective or the timeline with each iteration.

The one about the robot dog was also cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

sephiRoth IRA posted:

You missed a bunch of his stories if that's your takeaway

Don't get me wrong, that protag is there, but there's so much more than that
You're right, there's also big dicked film noirman and big dicked bounty hunterman.

Though you may be onto something, because Strapado, the one I liked best as a pure horror story, did not have any hard boiled elements, or any supernatural element at all.

The other thing I liked about Swift to Chase was the absence of a cliche that I found a little immersion breaking in the earlier collections, where a character interrupts the tale to soliloquize about how he once read an ancient tome that described the exact situation they're in (I'm looking at you, Men From Porlock).

gey muckle mowser posted:

The only Laird Barron books I've read are The Imago Sequence and X's for Eyes. What of his should I read next?
The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All is good. Occultation is also good. Swift to Chase is great. Even at his most hackneyed he can still create incredibly evocative images that stick with you. The caveman screaming in the rock. The paper wasp nest on the ceiling of the barn. The hunter guzzling Laproihag like it was cheap rotgut by the campfire. The black sloth.

I haven't read any of his longer form stuff, but I've heard people speak highly of The Croning as well.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

UwUnabomber posted:

I just found a bunch of Alien comics. Anyone got any hot tips on which series are good?
Labyrinth is the only Alien product made in the last 40 years that comes close to recapturing the horror element of the original.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The Dreamer/Grimscribe collection is front loaded with the weakest stories. I don't know whose idea it was to put Frolic first but I've never met anyone who liked it. I have a soft spot for Dr Thoss and Dream of a Manikin, but I don't think it gets good until Masquerade of a Dead Sword.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Wrapped The Croning. It was okay, like Barron's shorter work but with more padding. In some cases literally so, tying his short stories into a broader mythos and metaplot. The nadir was the part where the evil villains explain their evil plan to the protagonist, and then a chapter later a different villain does the same thing. It's cheesy as gently caress and it robs the story of its mystery and power.

As always, even at his worst Barron can still pump out some very evocative descriptive text. My favorite part is the spooky museum at the rich guy's mansion.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I am on book 5 of thr Laundey Files and I have to know. How much of the injected social commentary or politics is satire or the author just being an idiot?

It is also some of the most British bullshit I've ever read.
I think Apocalypse Codex (book 4) is the last one before the series starts to decline in quality. From 5 onward it all feels a little formulaic and the "bureaucracy horror" element which served as comic relief or background noise in the earlier novels grows to consume more of the narrative. The shifts in POV characters are a valiant attempt to keep things fresh, but it doesn't help that all the other characters' internal monologues are basically identical to Bob Howard's.

The Urban Fantasy Thread might be a good place to discuss the topic.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Found a copy of Lovecraft Country in a little free library.

So far it reads like a play report of someone's CoC game. The characters talk and act like modern people pretending to be characters from the 1950s. They even have an "investigator organization" that prompts them to go on adventures - a fictional version of the Negro Motorist's Green Book which sends them to check out locations and verify if they're safe for Black people on road trips.

The whole thing feels oddly safe. There's no sense of peril because characters keep getting knocked unconscious or stunned by danger. I know that Matt Ruff is capable of writing horror, Bad Monkeys was far more effective at creating atmosphere and a feeling of dread.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Giragast posted:

Great timing, I just finished this and wanted to ask: should I read Hyperion if I what I didn't like about The Terror was those chapters where characters lore dump in incredibly awkward conversations, instead of just recalling them internally (e.g. let me tell you all about Darwin and my other friend Charles Babbage and his mechanical calculating device)? I don't know how much of that exists in his other books.
Read the first Hyperion book and and stop there.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Idle Amalgam posted:

Any cosmic horror recommendations that fit the Twin Peaks type of cosmic horror? Less tentacled monster and more ominous grandmas eating creamed corn. Or Dossier style "alt-history/supernatural conspiracy" stuff like the Mark Frost books that accompanied the series?
Try Tim Powers, either Declare or the first two books of the Alternate Routes series.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Finished Song of Kali. It wasn't as good as everyone said, and it wasn't as racist as everyone said. It was just okay.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

ravenkult posted:

Boo on that AI cover though.
What are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Makes sense. I thought it was a reference to the Hellboy page and was baffled for a moment.