Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
horroe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
weaveworld is the best thing barker ever did and i will recommend it to everyone

i read it when i was 11 and it shaped me as a person

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i bought some issues of tall trees and shadows and welp i guess horror is dead

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

ravenkult posted:

Elaborate.
it was just all dreary sub-fictionpress-quality trash

i feel bad about saying that because it's new less-exposed authors, but drat

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the fisherman is really terrible help me lord. i regret this purchase

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

epoch. posted:

Finish the book.
i did, i started skimming after 100 pages but got the gist of it all and honestly it wasn't worth it. the whole novel felt like a second-rate creepypasta that had been filled out to book size with the most bloated, turgid, dead-bland narration i've ever experienced in my drat life. that's just my opinion though and i may be feeling unusually vicious because i actually paid for it lol. it had good reviews! it had good reviews!!

horror is in the doldrums at the moment but soon something horrific is going to happen irl and it will return to its former glory, i feel it in my psychic rear end

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't disagree with any of this. It's the hyperbole that I find irritating. It's impossible to simply dislike a book for X, Y, and Z reasons. No, it has to be literally the worst thing you've ever laid upon eyes upon in your life, and reading it has left you emotionally and physically scarred and you are less a person now because of the book and so on. It's just..pointless. It doesn't actually relay anything about the book in question, it just tells others that you're kind of stupid.

And to be clear, this isn't a problem limited to this thread of this forum, it's become widespread. This just happens to be where I'm bitching about it today :v:.
i killed myself because of your friend's terrible book and am now posting as a revenanf

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i feel guilty about my harsh words now, so here is some actual measured criticism. if you know, or are, the dude who wrote the fisherman - i was being facetious, it's far from the worst book i've ever read and there was probably a really good 20k-word novella in it so my initial reaction was more from disappointment than anything else. but there just wasn't enough material there to sustain a book of that length. please, please resist the urge to pad the narration in future. i know lovecraft did it, but lovecraft's strength wasn't actually his writing, it was that he was an insane autistic racist with a phobia of shellfish and that gave rise to a unique worldview. there was some genuine good horror spots and ominous tension in the fisherman, but the general verbosity messed with the pacing and sparked a "get on with it already" response from me until eventually i just couldn't wade through anymore waiting for a pay-off that may or may not come. character voice is also not the writer's greatest strength. it got to the point where i was like three characters deep into nested flashbacks, but i was losing track of whose story was being told because all the voices sounded the same.

however. it was not the worst book i've ever read. in fact it had promise. i'll read another book by the same dude if i see it in the library. i'm sorry for being mean :smith: (but if the next book is bad i'll be mean again)

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

TOOT BOOT posted:

Lovecraft is the only problematic author I enjoy because he's been dead like a billion years and I don't have to feel like I'm supporting him or his views by reading his work.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
once i did a huge poo and it grew six dicks and waved them at me, oOOoooOOOO ps: i'm a ghost. or am i?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
based on my impression of ligotti, at no point did i assume the title wasn't referring to suicide lol

(after getting burnt a few times on horror recs, i've made up my mind with great deliberation to spend money on ligotti next)