Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I made it a New Years goal to read a bunch more then I have previously and I am sticking to it a lot more than I thought I would. And it's mostly been Horror stuff-

Nos4a2 by Joe Hill - Like Father, like Son... Hill does have some semblance of his dad's mind, but he wasn't fully there with this one. Even then, the underlying premise gives me chills still and an enjoyable read despite it's length.

Brother by Ania Ahlborn - This was one I was researching strongly before I made the New Years goal and it lived up to the seemingly high expectation. Reb is such a hatable character and it was done with such ease. Roller Coaster of emotions with a brutal (sad) ending

The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn - I read this one before Brother and Im glad... Ahlborn still had kinks to work out. Still enjoyable, but not on the level of Brother

The Troop by Nick Cutter - I finished this one pretty quick. Isolation and body horror is a pretty solid combination

Dracula by Bram Stoker - Felt like I had to read this out of obligation. I'm glad I read it, but wasn't a big fan of the style until the last quarter or so Once they go on the actual quest to hunt Dracula after the coffin was shipped back to Transylvania

The Ruins by Scott Smith - Not sure how everyone else felt about the movie but I thought it was alright... but the book is much, much better.

Penpal - by Dathan Auerbach - I think this got a lot of hype and it was pretty well deserved. The feeling of the walls crumbling down on the narrator during the last chapter still gets to me.

Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie - While skimming some of the pages of this thread, there were questions about whats a good "found footage" esque book... this would get my vote.

Come with Me by Ronald Malfi - Just finished this one and out of the books Ive read so far, this was my favorite. Such a great, tense story with a wonderful build along the way.

I have Intercepts next to go and have a couple more books on hold at the library (libraries are great)

TUS fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU