Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Not sure if The Library at Mount Char counts as pure horror, but it’s definitely horror-adjacent at least. A bit dark fantasy, a bit cosmic horror. Welp that’s my recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
also seconding/thirding Books of Blood

Stephen King chat: I used to be a big fan when I was younger, but I tried to re-read It last year and it's absurdly loving long and I got bored halfway through. I have gone back and read a bunch of his short stories too, and they do hold up. Pretty much everything in Night Shift is great.

Has anyone mentioned Joe Hill yet? 20th Century Ghosts is real good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

joe hill is worse than his father by an order of magnitude

Yeah that's fair, Horns was alright but I didn't think much of his other novels that I've read. I do think most of the stories in 20th Century Ghosts are great though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Irony.or.Death posted:

David Searcy's books (Last Things and Ordinary Horror) are the only horror I've read that did not either bore or annoy me, which is distressing because I love horror and I love books and it seems like they should mix well but most of the time they just don't.

Ooh, I forgot about Searcy. I loved Ordinary Horror but haven’t gotten around to Last Things yet, I’ll have to fix that.

One author that I don’t see discussed much here is Joyce Carol Oates. I haven’t read any of her novels, but I’ve read a bunch of her horror short stories and they are excellent. Anyone a fan and have a recommendation for her?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I'd say Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle counts as Gothic, and it's extremely good.

Le Fanu's Carmilla is a classic if you haven't read it yet.

I also enjoyed Elizabeth Gaskell's Gothic Tales a lot.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

There was a short story about owl monsters or possibly bear monsters vs a gang of outlaws. One of the outlaws shot a baby monster, maybe. Does that ring a bell?

Those Who Went Remain There Still by Cherie Priest

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Len posted:

Speaking of Tingle you can get a bunch of his books on the Humble Bundle store right now. Someone might consider them horror.

I've never actually read a book of his but I might have to check out "Heavy Metal Unicorn Lawyer Sings Into My Butthole Legally"

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

sicDaniel posted:

X's for Eyes - Laird Barron: I had never read Laird Barron and I will never read anything from him again. This is only an 80 page novella - again, sounds very interesting, Lovecraftian gods and so on - but I couldn't finish it. The style is terrible and it feels like reading only every third chapter out of an actual novel. The plot moves with nonsensical speed and new characters jump in and out all the time and everything is so, dunno, lolrandom and edgy or whatever you call that. If you gave me this book and told me it's a Garth Marengi tie-in novel, I would believe you.

I actually liked this one, it's intentionally ridiculous and kind of disjointed but it's also short and (in my opinion) a fun read. Sort of a weird mix of cosmic horror/Johnny Quest-style adventure serial.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I finished The Fisherman yesterday and overall I really liked it. Parts of the first half were not great, especially some of the long-winded stories, but once the action picks up I thought it was really cool.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

nankeen posted:

can anyone recommend a decent horror shorts anthology (with various authors)? i already have the treasury of american horror stories (which is good and i'd recommend btw), so something without too much overlap would be great

Not sure what's in that collection, but two of my favorites are American Supernatural Tales and The Dark Descent

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Anyone here familiar with Adam Nevill? I picked up the short story collection Some Will Not Sleep on a lark because it was only 3 bucks but I'm really enjoying it. Things get wonderfully weird while (so far) never diving into grotesqueries per se (although Mother's Milk might come closest).

Highly recommend it. After this one, I'll definitely jump further into his bibliography.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LBBQV7W/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

House of Small Shadows has been talked about in this thread before, and I liked it a lot.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

MockingQuantum posted:

I want to read more Clark Ashton Smith, but it looks like there's about a billion different collections of his work. Anybody have a good definitive one they'd recommend? Or individual stories that are worth hunting down (since it looks like a lot of his stuff is online in some fashion)?

I see there's a Penguin Classics collection, which I'm usually pretty happy with, but it looks like a lot of it is his poetry, which if I'm honest, I don't care about reading at all.

I have the Penguin Classics edition (The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies) and only maybe ~20% is poetry. I definitely enjoyed the book.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

Yo what's good space horror?

Event Horizon, Alien, Jason X... there aren't a ton of really great ones. I like Sunshine, Europa Report, Last Days on Mars, and Apollo 18 but ymmv on those. Life was OK.

e: Lifeforce!

e2: this is not the thread I thought it was!

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 13, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

I was thinking books though, but thanks anyway!

Edit: for reference, I've read Blindsight twice and I love it.

lol sorry I thought I was in the horror movie thread.

Yeah Blindsight is great. "The Voyage of the Space Beagle" by A. E. van Vogt is mostly sci-fi but it does have some good monsters and dangerous space stuff.

e: I liked Crescent by Phil Rossi too

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 13, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
what (if any) Stephen King novels from the past 10-15 years are worth reading? Last of his I read was Under the Dome.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Thanks for the recommendations, hopefully my library will have one of those two this weekend!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

MockingQuantum posted:

First, I'm looking for some poetry that's horror-adjacent. I'm not thinking stuff like Lovecraft's space mushrooms or Poe's scary birds, but more poetry that captures a sense of the macabre, dread, or darker side of human existence. Someone on SA (chernobyl, possibly?) recommended The Virginia State Colony for Epileptics and Feebleminded and I'm basically looking for more like that.

I like Stephen Dobyns, haven't read a ton of his poems but the ones I have I'd definitely call macabre. Cemetery Nights was the first collection of his I read and I enjoyed Pallbearers Envying the One Who Rides too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I really enjoyed all three, but agreed that the second is the best and the third is the weakest.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Untrustable posted:

Finished Growing Things by Paul Tremblay and God drat dude can write. It's all very grandiose but not like, in a lovely, forced way. It's not overwrought. All the stories are excellent except the dog walkers one, that one got a bit self-indulgent. I guess I'll start on Obscura.

I liked the dog walkers one, yeah it's self indulgent but I also thought it was really funny. If every story in the book had been written like that it would probably be insufferable but as a standalone I think it works.

Unrelated, I just finished The Wise Friend by Ramsey Campbell and really enjoyed it. It's not essential or anything but I'm a sucker for stuff with witchcraft and the occult. I know I've read some short stories of his, but I believe that was the first novel. What other novels of his are worth checking out?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Finally started North American Lake Monsters, only a few stories in so far but holy poo poo :stare:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ravenkult posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for something like John Dies at the End? Like, edgy, dirtbag loser type horror?

Skullcrack City by Jeremy Robert Johnson fits that bill, and I liked it better than John Dies at the End

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
E: taken!

I received 2 copies of Michael McDowell’s The Elementals for Christmas, obviously I don’t need both and returning either will be a pain, so if anyone wants a copy I will send it to you for free (US only). Shoot me a PM if you’d like it!

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 25, 2021

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

grobbo posted:

Working my way through a pile of Christmas horror books, with mixed results:

Nothing But Blackened Teeth by Cassandra Khaw: Great title, lots of high praise, and I've enjoyed the short stories by Khaw that I've read, so I was a bit surprised that this one just didn't work for me at all. The premise is oddly wobbly and artificial, with a group of protagonists - a five-person wedding party in a real Japanese haunted house, which is supposed to have been a huge and expensive endeavour to plan even though most of the characters are barely tolerating each other's company, and one of them has travelled all the way but doesn't seem to even remember the groom's name - who don't make any sense to me. There's meant to be tension rising from the protagonist's Hill House-esque feelings of isolation and inadequacy, but everyone comes across as equally dysfunctional, and the tangled relationship issues sometimes just skip into banter along the lines of 'if this was a *real* horror story, I'd definitely die first!' The grand reveal of the ghost is followed by the characters standing in front of it, bickering at length about their next course of action. Really not sure what I'm missing on this one.

I felt the same way, I was very disappointed

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

It's my own personal horror hot take.

And yes his short stories are universally better than his novels.

I liked Insomnia a lot too, although I wouldn’t call it one of his best. Creeped me out in a way that most of his writing doesn’t. It’s been years though so I can’t remember many specifics.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned in this thread yet - I just finished an anthology from earlier this year called Dark Stars that has new short stories from John Langan, Stephen Graham Jones, Gemma Files, and some other notables plus a number of authors I hadn’t heard of. A couple were a little weak but for the most part I really enjoyed it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ravenkult posted:

I can drop some short story recs (available online) if there's interest.

Please do!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
For multi-author anthologies I really liked both American Supernatural Tales edited by S.T. Joshi and The Dark Descent edited by David G. Hartwell. The latter is massive.

Joyce Carol Oates writes fantastic short stories and I don’t see her name come up as often as it should. She has published quite a few collections (out of the handful I’ve read, I liked the stories in The Collector of Hearts the most) and I’ve read many of her work in various anthologies over the years and have always enjoyed it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Yea thanks for posting these, I’ve been busy and hadn’t had a chance to read any yet but I’m off work next week and plan to go through them

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

escape artist posted:

is Catriona Ward worth reading? I started Last House on Needless Street but once the POV shifted to that of a cat I checked out and switched to something else

I’ve only read Sundial, which I thought took a bit to get going but I did end up enjoying it overall.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Double post, but what are some fun horror novels. Everything I’ve got lined up sounds bleak.

I’m not looking for something like John Dies At The End. More like the Evil Dead 2 of horror novels.

this has come up before in this thread so you may have already read it, but Skullcrack City by Jeremy Robert Johnson is similar to John Dies at the End but in my opinion the better novel.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
The only Laird Barron books I've read are The Imago Sequence and X's for Eyes. What of his should I read next?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
it's been like 20+ years since I've read Pet Sematary but I remember it being scarier to me than anything else King wrote. Except maybe The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, for some reason that really got to me too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Kestral posted:

Funny you should mention WXXT, I've had Gateways to Abomination in my to-read list for a while now. Is that a good place to start, or is there a better entry point?

Now this is fascinating, which collection was it? Beneath a Pale Sky seems well-regarded, but I haven't been able to find any excerpts to judge by.

Yes to Gateways to Abomination. Creeping Waves is the same concept but better executed but it’s also essentially a sequel so you’d want to start with Gateways.

Beneath a Pale Sky is the only Fracassi I’ve read but FWIW I thought it was the best short story collection I’ve read since North American Lake Monsters. Lots of stuff in there that has really stuck with me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I’ve read a lot of horror recently (thanks escape artist) and keep meaning to make a post sharing my thoughts on them, but never find the time. But I just finished Tell Me I’m Worthless by Alison Rumfitt the other day and it kind of floored me so I felt compelled to post. It’s the best haunted house story I’ve read in a long time and a really impressive debut novel. Rumfitt is a trans woman as is one of the main characters, and that’s important but the book is more broadly about the insidious nature of fascism. I finished it the other day and can’t stop thinking about it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

zoux posted:

Halfway through Library of Mount Char - which fuckin owns - and would you guys call that urban fantasy or horror

Dark fantasy I guess? It has some horror elements but I wouldn't call it a horror novel. That was a fun book.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

New BR Yeager collection just dropped — Burn You the gently caress Alive

Sweet, excited to check this out. Negative Space was so loving good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Any thoughts on:

The Puppet King and Other Atonements
Home Before Dark: A Novel
The Secret Of Ventriloquism

?

I have them saved to a list of potential Kindle purchases but I’ll be damned if I remember adding them or what might’ve spurred me to do so. The 1st & 3rd kinda’ ring a bell but I wanted to get some opinions before pulling the trigger on any of them.

The Secret of Ventriloquism is very derivative of Thomas Ligotti (openly so), but I did enjoy it and think it’s probably worth a read. It’s a short story collection but there are threads that tie the stories together that become more apparent the farther along you get in the book.

I’m pretty sure I enjoyed Home Before Dark when I read it but I also can’t remember anything about it (and in fact grabbed it from the library a second time a month or two ago and got through 20-25 pages before realizing I had already read it). Not exactly a ringing endorsement but I can say that I at least liked it enough to seek out other novels by Riley Sager.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Kerro posted:

Finished Catriona Ward's Looking Glass Sound and it was great. I think I've found another author where I enjoy and will now read anything she puts out (joining John Langan, Tana French, CJ Sansom and Harry Bingham). Last House On Needless Street was the weakest for me but still a really enjoyable read, but I thought Looking Glass Sound was really strong even if it felt like less of a horror novel than some of her other work and more in the psychological thriller vein. I dunno why but these coming-of-age combined with hosed-up-poo poo novels (IT, Summer of Night, December Park, even stuff like The Secret History and If We Were Villains) really strike a chord with me.

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. The only two books by Catriona Ward I've read were Sundial and Little Eve, and my experience with both was that I wasn't sure if I liked them at all until about halfway through when I realized I was hooked. Sundial was definitely the stronger of the two but I liked both well enough to keep reading her work.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Centrist Dad posted:

Plot twist snipe: BOO

whoa whoa, just because this is a thread about scary books doesn't make it ok to make scary posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Bilirubin posted:

Also just saw this article about LGBTQ+ horror writers on Reddit, thought I would pass it along
https://www.them.us/story/lgbtq-horror-authors-reading-guide

Thanks, some good recs on there. Didn’t know Alison Rumfitt had a new book out, bumping that up to the top of the reading list!