Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Maybe John Dies at the End?

Edit: not sure if this counts as epistolary but you might also try Rant but Palahniuk. It reads mostly like a chat, if I remember correctly.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
What's a good place to start with Straub? I know he did that thing with King.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I always thought bug chasing was an urban myth, maybe it is, I hope so.

I remember reading about this in a Rolling Stone feature 20 years ago when I was a teen :corsair: and it was mostly an online niche for sad depressed people. I don't recall if the reporter followed up to confirm what people were posting, but yes people did fetishize the act of catching the big bug, or whatever they called it. I remember believing it because I was already reading this website.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 20, 2022

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
I quite enjoyed the 2022 Hugo winner for best short story for it's format alone: https://www.uncannymagazine.com/article/where-oaken-hearts-do-gather/?utm_source=pocket_mylist

If you like reading dead forums, this story is really up your alley.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
Cool I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed it. I really do think this is the niche audience for that story, and everyone in this thread should read it.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
I read a handful of books for spooky season, and here's what turned out.

The Color Out of Time: I'm mixed on this one, mostly because of how it misses the thematic mark as sequel to the original story. It feels kind of small and reductive to go from an unknowable, weird lifeform to something petty and vengeful. I enjoyed the dynamic between the over-the-hill professors and a bunch of normie campers who reject their attempts to harsh their good times with facts and figures. Our protagonists are absolutely sloshed with alcohol throughout the story, so I think it's with good reason that everyone dismisses them as cranks in the lead up to a climactic showdown. As a pastiche, it rings authentic, except for the inclusion of a woman as a protagonist!
TLDR: we live in a society

Fellstones: Ramsey Campbell's latest is familial abuse as horror. It's a real slow burn of a weird tale and it really drags in the middle. But I also think that's kind of the point with a protagonist suffering from arrested development.

Ghost Story: I think at the time this was meant to be a modernization of the classic ghost story (ghosts are memories of guilt and trauma!), but in 2022 it's such a throw back. There's good stuff here for sure with lovely prose and a terrific job done of making the town a character in a story about generational trauma infecting an idyllic community. But in a story that explores the toxicity of masculine archetypes it really falls on it's face when the best solution is violence against women. Also those crimes and abuse against women that set up the story are totally fine because they were ghoulies.

I watched the 1980s adapted film, and it's even worse in its theme because it doubled down on the woman scorned trope. I did actually enjoy that movie for it's amazing cast and old- school sensibilities, anyway.

Something Wicked this Way Comes: I get why people balk at the florid prose, but this was such a pleasure to read. This is less of a throwback and more of a tour through an earlier time -- though admittedly idealized for it's innocence.

My Work is Not Yet Done: Three Tales of Corporate Horror
These were a blast to read. They're super exploitative and nihilistic, but still a great romp through neoliberalism run amok.

Dracula: I revisited this with the Dracula Daily substack sending me emails for each journal entry date since last May. It just wrapped up today. Enough has been said about this book already, but I'll say if you've only ever seen movies there's lots of great stuff here that's never been adapted.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 8, 2022

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

General Battuta posted:

Dan Simmons (he of the writhing post 9/11 brain worms)

I wondered about this remark and googled Dan Simmons jerk and got exactly the context I needed from Jeff VanderMeer: https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1176950521468506113?t=KUPJ_QMFhC8TgTxivIQ7iA&s=19

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

DurianGray posted:

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov. A novel told in the footnotes to a lovely poem. It's not really horror but iirc it was not exactly uplifting either (the main POV character is basically a stalker iirc).

Thank you, yes. I liked Page Fire fine but I was really struck by how navel gazing and uninteresting the poem was. I actually wondered if that was maybe a layer of satire.

Anyway, to get on topic, I've a question for the thread. Does anyone in this thread actually ever get scared when reading? If so what was it?

I can't even fathom it, maybe because I'm not a particularly visual reader. I've been plenty creeped out by good audio books and plays, however.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
Despite being extremely reactionary and racist, I've most often seen Lovecraft's stories having more impact on liberal to left leaning individuals, and adaptations have borne out that way too with stuff like Lovecraft Country.

One would think his back catalog would be catnip for far right wing loonies the way the Turner Diaries are, but it's not really panned out that way. I just wonder why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

Bilirubin posted:

With a good editor it would have been House of Leaf. Or House of Leave?

I never figured that one out.

Leave house