Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Bentley Little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
based on this thread I had to try Kiernan. I got Red Tree and Agents of Dreamland... Will report back soon.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Absolutely loving North American Lake Monsters.

Is Visible Filth available to buy anywhere? On Amazon it's like $900...
Is it different than Wounds? The covers look so similar.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

COOL CORN posted:

Visible Filth is a short story contained in Wounds.

Thanks! Ordering it today.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
11/22/63 is in my top 5 King novels ever. Definitely a must read.

I hear good things about Duma Key but haven't read it yet

edit: Finished NALM and holy poo poo. I can't wait to re-read it. That was some of the best horror I've ever read. Each story was great. It also helped that I visited New Orleans, St. Petersburg, and the Blue Ridge Mountains last year, so all of these places were fresh in my mind.

Anything else universally acclaimed on the forums like NALM?

escape artist fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 31, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Started Wounds last night. Atlas of Hell was definitely trying to do something different than in NALM, but I loved it, and I anticipate re-reading it many times. I'm gonna be so sad when I finish all of his published work.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Spoiler-free thoughts on Nick Cutter?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
so what's a good Ligotti entrance point

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I don't understand much of the past few pages, but they somehow made me really excited to experience Ligotti. I ordered Teotro Grottesco

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What is Blackwater?

Also, does Ballingrud have any other (horror) books besides NALM and Wounds?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

chernobyl kinsman posted:

a novel by malcolm mcdowell

viddy well

is it horror?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I ordered my Ligotti book with Prime. It still took a week to get here.

I don't know why but I feel this is appropriate and how Ligotti would have wanted it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Someone recommended The Ruins to me. I haven't read it yet, but I came across a Scott Smith story in an anthology and thought it was fantastic.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

COOL CORN posted:

Now that I'm done with Wounds, I would give anything for a Butcher's Table movie

I've been saving that story. Last thing he's published that I haven't read. I'm gonna be sad when I am done with it.

I think I'll get to it tonight.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What do you think of Matthew Bartlett?

I drunk-ordered one of his books and I'm digging his style.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I loved The Stay Awake Men so much that I have to now get Gateways to Abomination and Creeping Waves. How many does he have total? I'll buy his entire bibliography

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
how do I get the Ligotti tag?

I have been enjoying the poo poo out of his short stories on Youtube. He's got like 39 short stories in audiobook form on Youtube.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Fan readings yes, but they're very very good ones.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

post a couple good ones and then ask mods nicely for the tag and perhaps you'll get it, although there is no such thing as mods, nothing of the sort. Just infinite empty blackness.

Dear shadow gods (mods?), please take pity upon my wretched existence and grant me this request.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7B_Q2yUPRs Nethescurial, I really enjoyed even though I don't like Lovecraftian / Cthulu-esque stuff very much. Great voice work by the narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w11mfpEVSDw Frolic, a story about a criminal psychologist who works at a prison with a monstrous inmate. Loved Ligotti's take on this type of story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKl_kNXc7Vs The Town Manager, DUSTROY TROLY. Great prose here. This one deserves to be read as well as heard.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I got Conspiracy Against the Human Race today!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
gently caress. I've been saving the Butcher's Table because it's the last published Ballingrud I haven't read.

I guess it's time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
https://www.amazon.com/Raymond-Carvers-What-Talk-About/dp/1632460610
What exactly is this Evenson book?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ornamented Death posted:

Was the description not clear enough?

Prior to looking at the item on Amazon, I read a recommendation from another website that seemingly conflicted with Amazon's description

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
are Kiernan's short stories good? I know what everyone says about her novels. But she released a collection of short stories last year and I haven't heard anything about that.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

COOL CORN posted:

Have any of y'all ever encountered a book that's too obscene or grotesque or unsettling? I just realized that's happened to me movies but never with books. Maybe it has something to do with the limits of my imagination. I'm not sure but now I want to push myself!

I always hear Cows by Matthew Stokoe is the grossest book. I haven't checked it out because I'm not into that genre. Couldn't get through an Edward Lee.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The Wasp Factory and Glamorama are two books I couldn't finish. They bored the hell out of me.

(And I've read everything Ellis has written besides Glamorama and Informers. I consider myself a fan, even if he is a piece of poo poo person.)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
How many short story collections does Brian Evenson have and can you list them so I can buy them all?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I assume most of you all know this but just in case, Tremblay has a new book coming out on 7/7 about get this... a plague.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
new Datlow anthology dropped, Final Cuts, and is supposed to have new shorts from Barron, Ballingrud, and Langan among others

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

joke recommendation: brian evenson's last days. it has TWO cults

I just finished this one and it was incredible.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
New Ballingrud story, Scream Queens, is a loveletter to 70s horror cinema while being a harrowing story on its own. When I finished it, I went back and read it a second time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
https://silentmotorist.media/2020/08/03/hymns-of-abomination-secret-songs-of-leeds-a-tribute-to-matthew-m-bartlett/
There's gonna be an anthology with Langan, Evenson, Ballingrud... all doing stuff in Matthew Bartlett's world. Pretty loving cool but it begs the question - is Bartlett dying soon? How did he get a tribute like this so soon?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MockingQuantum posted:

It's not too unusual, there was a collection of stories all inspired by/based in Barron's Old Leech setting a few years back. Or at least, I hope he isn't dying or something.

I love the idea and I really hope he's healthy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Robot Wendigo posted:

A friend recommended The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones. I like his writing style but the animal stuff may stop me from reading much more of it.

How bad is it? That's all I hear about when this book is brought up

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Anyone read Gateways to Abomination or Creeping Waves?

I really like the Leeds universe

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah loved Gateways. Also recently read If it Bleeds. I like what he does

Check out Creeping Waves. It's the follow-up to Gateways and is similar in style, but at least twice as long. Follows up on a lot of the ideas started there.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
new John Langan short story collection dropped

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

the_enduser posted:

Nothing new but I recently got a copy of an anthology book called Lost Signals edited by Max Booth III I guess. Deals with spooky radios and signals. Not all gold but some really good ones in here. I think I just dig the creepy signal stuff. I'm only a third way through so it all may end up poo poo but so far not terrible. Some decent cosmic spookies.

Matthew M. Bartlett, who has the first story in Lost Signals, has several collections of short stories that revolve around this strange radio station in Leeds, Massachusetts. If you dug his story you should definitely check out more of his stuff.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Those Datlow collections have so many of my favorite authors in one book. It's a great way to discover short story writers. Evenson, Barron, Langan, and so many more.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Children of the Fang by John Langan is stellar, continues his wonderful deconstruction of the genre. Anyone here dig into this yet?

Also read three Laird Barron short story collections, a Phillip Fracassi collection, a Christopher Slatsky. I have found a lot of authors that are consistently good. Feel like we're in a horror literature boom at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ That one was a disappointing DNF for me. Only got 200 out of 500 pages through. Your review confirms I made the right decision.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Loved it. Langan continues to be an author that writes stuff that is designed to delight me.

I didn't like it as much as Wide Carnivorous Sky but more than Sefira, with The Fisherman still at my top.

I really need to reread that opening audition one cause the imagery stuck with me hard, but the actual structure was a lot to follow. You got a favorite?

In Wide Carnivorous, my favorite was The Revel.

The ones from Children that have really stuck with me so far (only halfway through) are "Into the Darkness, Fearlessly." I love when he writes about writers. And the Max Berry story really flips that idea of "go into the light" on its head.

I have both Sefira and Mr. Gaunt to read after this, as well as House of Windows. Mr. Gaunt appears to sell for over $100 on eBay these days, and I'm actually weary of opening it and reading it because of that. I snagged it a couple years back right after I read The Fisherman, for a low price, brand new, and I guess his celebrity has grown since then.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 26, 2022