Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Raw Shark Texts supposed to be a play on words of Rorschach tests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone heard of the judges before? I'm not as well read as my Tinder profile says I am.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/21/621953925/summer-horror-poll-meet-our-expert-panelists

Edit: What the gently caress how does having World War Z not instantly invalidate this list?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Len posted:

Cthulhu sells right now. Slap him on a boardgame and you can get drat near all the money from nerds on Kickstarter

You don't even need the game, to be honest. I imagine most people bought that one game with the baby-sized Cthulhu (to clarify: I mean a Cthulhu that is the size of an actual human baby) for the "mini."

Pththya-lyi posted:

Caitlin R. Kiernan is another that comes to my mind.

What Caitlin Kiernan would you/the thread recommend? I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but goddamn a lot of the covers for her books are terrible and look like supernatural romance.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm reading North American Lake Monsters, and drat it does a good job of setting up these haunted people with their haunted lives, even if the stories themselves aren't necessarily horror in the traditional sense. The fact that most/all the stories tend to end on a hanging thread just sorta makes it a bit more real, since, well, these lives aren't gonna be wrapped up all nice like.

I was seeing what Amazon recommended, and does anyone have thoughts on Langan's The Wide, Carnivorous Sky? I remember a mixed reaction to his The Fisherman, but maybe he's better with short stories?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'll put her complete collection on the ole wishlist! I honestly only read NALM because of this thread (or maybe the cosmic horror thread), so thanks goon recommendations!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hell just read Conspiracy Against the Human Race. Ligotti is basically a Ligotti character.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Thanks for saving me the time and money, thread!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I had to stop reading and take a walk after Wild Acre. gently caress that's a good story.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I think the monster is important, given its symbolism as a primal force of nature, which ties into how the main character becomes emasculated throughout the course of the story and basically becomes a victim of their own toxic masculinity. . I don't think you would get that if the inciting incident were just an accident.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I hear there are gang tags here. Gotta get the 'gotti.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

It bothered me how much True Dicks was plagiarized and praised for its plagiarism. Like the closing line is literally just Alan Moore and goddamn that was a beautiful moment in Top Ten.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations for (good) stories where a phenomenon is slowly being discovered or studied? It can also just be weird, rather than actually horrific. Probably the weirder the better, honestly, as opposed to like, I dunno, zombies.

I'm primarily thinking of Biogenesis as my prime example here, but styles similar to Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness, the priest's story in Hyperion, the good parts of House of Leaves, or Unto Leviathan.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Thanks all for the recommendations! Looks like I have some new stories to read.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I finished reading The Cipher. I liked the first parts of it where they were investigating the Funhole and something resembling a mystery and horror stuff was happening. But then the next two thirds of the book was about a tedious toxic relationship and the Funhole seemed secondary to it. The main character seemed adamantly opposed to doing anything, which kills a lot of motivation for me, the reader, to care about the story. The book eventually felt like I was reading the same plot beat over and over again and then the book ends.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Weirdly enough, Bundle of Holding (which normally does tabletop RPGs) is having a horror bundle from Night Shade books. I don't know how good these anthologies are, but it's probably worth a look for people in this thread: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/BestHorror

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

For those interested, Bundle of Holding has a Clark Ashton Smith and William Hope Hodgson bundle here: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Weird2022

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

nate fisher posted:

March 21st. It is a Tuesday and I live in Knoxville, so we are going to make a day of it. We use to go to Asheville a few times a year, but we haven’t been there since COVID (besides driving thru it to go to the beach).

You do have to register before hand, since I assume limited seating.

Link to register:

https://www.malaprops.com/event/hybrid-book-launch-strange-nathan-ballingrud-conversation-dale-bailey

Thanks for this! I'm nowhere near the area, but I love me my signed books.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Digging The Gone World but drat the author really isn’t shy about ripping straight from True Detective

True Detective wasn't shy about ripping straight from Alan Moore so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

In terms of horror comics, I also enjoyed Something is Killing the Children, Gideon Falls, The Nice House on the Lake, and Monsters. The Sandman is also probably mostly horror but that's not exactly an obscure recommendation.