Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Crossposting from The Terror TV/IV thread with questions for the book:

It's been a while since I read the novel so I don't actually recall the reasons behind the first question, but the second was random spooky ghost nonsense. I don't think Simmons intended any concrete explanation for what happened on the ship before Crozier found it again, and I think that's kind of the point; it is a true Ghost Ship then, on which unspeakable acts have been committed, which haunt it long after any physical deaths. Knowledge of specifics would spoil the intended effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

In the vein of international horror authors, I would like to recommend the Japanese writer Otsuichi for his novels Summer, Fireworks, and My Corpse and Goth, both of which got decent translations a few years back. The former is a collection of novellas, of which Black Fairy Tale is the absolute stand out and pretty unique, while Goth is a little more of an acquired taste, about a sociopath and the girl he is obsessed with.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Scarlet Gospels was a huge bait and switch for me. I'd never read anything by Barker before except The Hellbound Heart and flipped Gospels open on a whim while browsing in a bookshop. The first two chapters were hands-down amazing and convinced me to get the book, and then the rest was a wet fart.