Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Halisnacks posted:

I wasn't sure if this was a topic for D&D or E/N, but in the end I opted to post here.

I've had a number of dilemmas recently in which I didn't know what choice was the correct one. They were dilemmas precisely because both sides could have healthy defences, and neither would seem "wrong". To give a flavour, these were questions like "do you want to live near your family [and cultivate healthy, closer relationships with them]" or "do you want to live abroad [and make new connections, develop cultural awareness and a deeper understanding of the world"? Or, "do you want to work very demanding hours in a tough profession [to increase your earning power and savings and make later life more certain and comfortable]" or "do you want to follow your (less well-remunerated) passion [and find your life's work meaningful and stimulating, beyond a paycheque]"?

I'm sure you all have opinions on the specific examples, but that's beside the point. In those two examples, I think I could rationalise either course of action and not feel like a terrible person. But I find I'm lacking a framework to actually make these decisions: I don't know what I value.

How did you (or does one) determine what is valuable in life?

Our value structures are largely driven by the frameworks our society has created for us, and largely our ability to rationalize, (the pure libertarian, frictionless sphere ideal) is an illusion that morphs as our circumstances see fit. We're infused with moral decisions before we even reach self awareness.

If you are raised that part of your family's or societal structure is that consuming meat products is immoral, you have a far more likely chance of adopting that as a value. In contrast, there are things that we have wired into us from our DNA that are mostly common, like care for other humans. These things can be not present in someone and cause what is identified as sociopath.

Nothing I can say will ultimately be unique or entirely novel as a product of the circumstances that have created me, created you. The important thing is to decide what your aspiration is in this life, now being middle aged I can see several paths I might have taken, there were many things along the way that I wish did not happen for one reason or another but the best you can hope for is that you appreciate you have ended up where you have. Some people never experience this satisfaction.

Often the situations we're dealt don't give us much choice, how you determine these choices can be solved by having a religion. I don't mean that in the strictest sense, I mean an ideal that can be a signpost for which general direction will satisfy you. As an example in my case, the religious ideal is "A just world where everyone has the chance and means to become a Hero for someone" because I believe in the inherent positive forward progress of humanity and that there will be more heroes than monsters if no one is oppressed.

If you lack your signpost, you should study a while. Not anything in particular, I don't know what would most benefit you. Self examine and decide what things most cause you fear and doubt, study them and be prepared to be proven wrong, you will be stronger for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ytlaya posted:

I think most people don't even have the freedom to make such big decisions about what path their life should take. When you're barely getting by you can't exactly just choose to move abroad or make a lot of money through working hard.

Unfortunately true. Which should inform ones decision making.

• Locked thread