Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
The Boy of Silence jump scare in Bioshock: Infinite got me good. In retrospect it's totally out of place with the vibe of the rest of the game, but at the time I jumped out of my skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLm7ZAJUe5o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nostradingus posted:

there was some flintstones game on the nes with a creepy dinosaur right at the beginning and four year old me couldn't handle it

You dumbass that game is worth like $1,500

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sector_corrector posted:

i think the only time i remembered being scared of a game is when i was like 5 or 6 and we'd rented one of the Dizzy games for the NES. you go down to a cave part of the map, and there's a dragon that's like 10 times your size. that scared me for some reason.

egg

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

the part in quick man's stage when you're falling and lasers are coming from sides of the screen

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Those pendulum enemies from Silent Hill 3 and the horrible metallic noise they make.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
was playing myst at my aunts house when i was a kid and her cat jumped on the top of my chair, sending me into a panic

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my buddy was playing amnesia in his room back in college. right when he got to the first big jump scare i knocked on his door to ask if he wanted a burrito and he screamed so loud a neighbor called the cops

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

my buddy was playing amnesia in his room back in college. right when he got to the first big jump scare i knocked on his door to ask if he wanted a burrito and he screamed so loud a neighbor called the cops

lmao

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

When psycho mantis read my drat mind

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The scene in FF7 where you break out of Shinra jail and Sephiroth has killed everyone and left behind a weird blood trail really unnerved me as a kid

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The robot chapter of Live a Live was fairly freaky as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

lmfao

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Epic

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Lmfao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

"yeah, dispatch, it's a 648 - yeah another one - no need to file a report."

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fungah! posted:

lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Fungah! posted:

sector_corrector posted:

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

lol

Burnt Dick
May 3, 2018
SOMA, when you're on the ship and have to run to the escape pod before the freak catches you, I got caught a few times but each attempt was just as frantic. Same game when going into the room to get the high pressure suit and you're again being chased with main character shouting to close the door behind, drat near poo poo myself

Burnt Dick
May 3, 2018
Oh yeah, and apparently this game has a VR mode, I'm absolutely sure I wouldn't be able to deal with that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SOMA gave me some solid spookfeels for sure

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The first time someone shoots at you in Alien Isolation gave me a jump. The game has such great sound design, and a gun being fired is a major event. You're meant to really feel it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the first time i hit reload in condemned criminal origins and instead of reloading it just showed me how many bullets were left in my clip

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The tortured lady in chains they added to REmake is terrifying. Both in running away from her and the nauseating room she lives in in the well

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

the first time i hit reload in condemned criminal origins and instead of reloading it just showed me how many bullets were left in my clip

drat yeah. I have no idea how I managed that game, especially the mannequin area

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

As a kid the first time you have to do a stealth section in BG&E past the Alpha Section guards was so overwhelmingly terrifying that I stopped playing for several years rather than risk seeing what happens if you get caught, which was that they start hitting you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I was terrified every time Nemesis appeared in RE3, I didn't realize the encounters were scripted so I was always on edge wondering if he would randomly show up

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Also in Wario Land 4 this boss phase change ——> reduced me to my hands and knees on my bedroom floor with my heart pounding in my chest and my GBA buried under the covers of my bed

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Also in Wario Land 4 this boss phase change ——> reduced me to my hands and knees on my bedroom floor with my heart pounding in my chest and my GBA buried under the covers of my bed

that sprite is so drat good

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

To me that’s probably the original hyper realistic Mario crying blood.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i didn't experience it as a kid, but the scenery shift in monster party had to have made several children extremely frightened, especially before the internet with video game rental stores, when you were often getting a cartridge with almost no idea about what might be on there

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was terrified every time Nemesis appeared in RE3, I didn't realize the encounters were scripted so I was always on edge wondering if he would randomly show up

Oh yeah, whenever SA-X in Metroid Fusion showed up freaked me out until I figured out it was scripted

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

Oh yeah, whenever SA-X in Metroid Fusion showed up freaked me out until I figured out it was scripted

Yeah that too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anytime a game has a super-powerful enemy that follows you throughout the whole game it's guaranteed to put me on edge.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hans Grosse gave me recurring nightmares for weeks when I was three years old.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Y'all all played Alien Isolation right? It's got some faults but it does a great job with an unscripted unkillable AI monster stalking you. It's regularly on sale for like $10 or less on PSN and worth it at that price for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

this theme song left six year old me so shook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veUjJnbOKMg

• Locked thread