Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Is it like the difference between a simple machine (i.e. a ramp) and a complex machine (i.e. a can opener)? Or is there a more in-depth explanation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Weapons systems go online, weapons get armed. Jesus.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It's like an OS.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Arrhythmia posted:

Weapons systems go online, weapons get armed. Jesus.

So if I give my hunting rifle wifi it becomes a weapons system?

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
Tripods

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I didn’t know a ramp was a machine and you find can openers complex. Coupled with your earlier thread I’m somewhat concerned you had a stroke. I’d suggest you get immediate medical attention, friend.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Kuato posted:

I didn’t know a ramp was a machine

Then I'm glad you learned a five hundred year old basic concept today, friend.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kuato posted:

I didn’t know a ramp was a machine and you find can openers complex. Coupled with your earlier thread I’m somewhat concerned you had a stroke. I’d suggest you get immediate medical attention, friend.

:smug:

The technical definition of a “machine” is a device which increases mechanical advantage. “Simple machines” include levers, inclined planes and wedges. A “complex machine” is two or more simple machines working together.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Learn something new everyday. Thank you, gentlemen!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Weapons systems use Linux.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One kills people but your enemy knows what it is and can plan against it, the other is just a vague threat that keeps your enemy at bay since in their heads it is more impressive than it really is.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
And "weapons system" is what you call it if it's really fuckin' expensive.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

if it comes with maintenance and upgrade contracts that cost more than the actual weapon then it's a system

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
it's also like when you have more than one weapon working together to kill poo poo

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My wiener is a weapon. My entire dick and ball assembly is a weapon system. This is simple, not sure what the confusion is.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

My wiener is a weapon. My entire dick and ball assembly is a weapon system. This is simple, not sure what the confusion is.

Finally an analogy I can grasp.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

weapons system generally means it has a bunch of accessories with it as standard

like i think just a rifle with a scope counts as a weapons system

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
when you get your dick pierced

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

weapon: fat guy in shorts

weapons system: fat guy in shorts, but he's got sunglasses and a 'tude

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

juggalo baby coffin posted:

weapons system generally means it has a bunch of accessories with it as standard

like i think just a rifle with a scope counts as a weapons system

lol don’t tell any rednecks this or they will become even more insufferable about their gun fetish.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

weapon: 1 square of toilet paper
weapons system: using the whole roll at once

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

weapon: pounding your dick with a hammer while crying in the broom closet

weapons system: your tool cabinet, and all of the dirt you would sweep up with the broom. Also you, pounding your dick with a hammer while you cry in the broom closet

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I think this is a weapon system

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
1 dick = weapon
5 dicks = ur underoos fit like a glove

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Skeleton Ape posted:

I’m assuming the volkswagen is going to have a race with a recoil-powered vehicle, but shouldn’t one or the other of those be facing the opposite direction?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Skeleton Ape posted:

so after they shoot the gun does the red curtain on the bottom part and a little corgi in an army helmet comes out?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
is it a missile launcher, or is it METAL GEAR!!??!???

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

that's warthog guts i think

\/\/\/\/\/ half a' one, six dozen of t'other

dee eight fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 13, 2018

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dee eight posted:

that's warthog guts i think
Technically, that's the warthog's dick.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Skeleton Ape posted:

Herbie 2: Up Your Arsenal.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah that's the thing they built the A10 around. It's loving bananas

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Complex machines will typically resolve to a simple algorithm over time unless energy is added to the system. If you have infinite energy in a closed complex system, the overall ability of the system to do work is infinite unless acted on by information, cryptography, which results in loss of the overall ability to do work.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Applewhite posted:

Is it like the difference between a simple machine (i.e. a ramp) and a complex machine (i.e. a can opener)? Or is there a more in-depth explanation?

How can a ramp be a machine? I thought that a machine, by definition, had, like, parts.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Complex machines will typically resolve to a simple algorithm over time unless energy is added to the system. If you have infinite energy in a closed complex system, the overall ability of the system to do work is infinite unless acted on by information, cryptography, which results in loss of the overall ability to do work.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Dennis System posted:

How can a ramp be a machine? I thought that a machine, by definition, had, like, parts.

Heh, keep reading chum. You’re about to be brought up to speed with the second grade.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Applewhite posted:

Heh, keep reading chum. You’re about to be brought up to speed with the second grade.

Dude, second grade was like 40 years ago. I don't remember stuff from 40 years ago.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

a screw is a bent ramp

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

What's a machine, what's an algorithm, what's a system, what's an equation, what's energy, what's information, what's a weapon, and on and on. I don't know an exact definition of any of these things. I just have a vague and hazy idea of them at best. Apparently a VERY hazy idea of a machine, since I didn't know there was a distinction between simple and complex machine and that a drat ramp of all things was considered a machine.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The Dennis System posted:

What's a machine, what's an algorithm, what's a system, what's an equation, what's energy, what's information, what's a weapon, and on and on. I don't know an exact definition of any of these things. I just have a vague and hazy idea of them at best. Apparently a VERY hazy idea of a machine, since I didn't know there was a distinction between simple and complex machine and that a drat ramp of all things was considered a machine.
A machine is a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

A system is the computer you use at work.

• Locked thread