Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A towel should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bump
This is two weeks of growth. Lettuces, mint, eggplants from seeds out of eggplants I cooked, peppers under it all which I’m about to free.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any idea what this could be? Growing mangold in GHE flora series, I mixed it 1.5ml grow, 1ml micro and 0.5ml flower per liter.

Could this be nutrient burn because of too much nutrients? Never grown anything but peppers in hydro before.

Edit: I guess it's called Chard in English.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 8, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sistergodiva posted:

Any idea what this could be? Growing mangold in GHE flora series, I mixed it 1.5ml grow, 1ml micro and 0.5ml flower per liter.

Could this be nutrient burn because of too much nutrients? Never grown anything but peppers in hydro before.

Edit: I guess it's called Chard in English.

That looks like it could be leaf spot, a fungal infection. That one won’t go away so I’d pull it before it spreads.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Usually nutrient burn is a universal thing that shows along the tips of the leaves all around. I’d chop off that leaf and see what happens, all the other ones look happy

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Yeah already removed some leaves. Seems to keep happening to more leaves.

I think I hosed up by starting them in the tub with high water level, so the rockwool got mouldy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah already removed some leaves. Seems to keep happening to more leaves.

I think I hosed up by starting them in the tub with high water level, so the rockwool got mouldy.

Yep. Once it’s in the plant it doesn’t go away. Sanitize all your surfaces with a surface sanitizer. Bleach works when there aren’t plants around, I’ve used my food safe brewing sanitizers before but they’re more expensive. The surface wipes can also work, but give everything a good scrub and sanitize to keep it from coming back.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any chance that other plants in the same tub could be ok? Or should I just cut my losses and remove everything and sanitize and replant?

I have some StarSan I assume you mean something like that?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sistergodiva posted:

Any chance that other plants in the same tub could be ok? Or should I just cut my losses and remove everything and sanitize and replant?

I have some StarSan I assume you mean something like that?

Yeah, I use starsan. I liked that there's no worry about wiping it off and already have it laying around. If the others look okay, they might be. It's the curled leaves and yellow/grey spots. I started putting grapefruit powder and paying more attention to the oxygen levels in the water when it happened to me. Better circulation on the leaves would also help keep it away.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Jhet posted:

Yeah, I use starsan. I liked that there's no worry about wiping it off and already have it laying around. If the others look okay, they might be. It's the curled leaves and yellow/grey spots. I started putting grapefruit powder and paying more attention to the oxygen levels in the water when it happened to me. Better circulation on the leaves would also help keep it away.

Yeah I need to silence my pump more so I can have it higher. Also need more wind I think. I only have fans for in and out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s tougher when it’s tight on space of course. That’s a cool looking cabinet space for it. It’d be easier if you put it in the middle, they can get to be large plants. Mine get 16-18” tall outside, but I don’t do greens indoors anymore. Ran out of space for it and I still have four plants growing outside with the cabbage and collards. Benefits of moving to a climate with less cold in the winter.

Now I mostly just use the indoor setup for rooting peppers and other house plant cuttings.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cloning plants is awesome

I’m gonna try to grow a bunch of raspberry clones from this little bush I have and then have a whole raspberry fence!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
A cautionary tale.

I've never grown broccoli before and I always like trying out new things in the grow tent, but I was not aware at how monstrous broccoli is. I assumed, what, like 2-3 feet tall to make a broccoli? More like 5ft! Does broccoli normally grow this large?

It is just about done, but it shaded out everything growing in there with it, including some parris island romaine that decided it would just grow up to where it could get light. Anyone ever see a romaine vine?

The photos don't do it justice just how dense and jungley it is in there, but someone gonna have the most expensive broccoli side real soon now! The lights consume about 30 cents worth of electricity and the plants consume over a gallon of nutrient solution a day. These bois have been growing since early November.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Eat the leaves. I’ve got a daikon radish growing in a container it’s about 6in tall right now :shobon:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I tied to grow cabbage in my aquaponics setup when I had it and I had a similar thing happen- the leaves just got huge and it never formed a head. I suspect brassicas just don't do what they are supposed to when not in soil.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Oh it is growing broccolis too, you just can't really see them at all through all the leaves. You can kinda see one poking up on the last photo. It just cracks me up how giant the thing is when every photo I have seen shows broccs being harvested from 2ft tall plants.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Arven posted:

I tied to grow cabbage in my aquaponics setup when I had it and I had a similar thing happen- the leaves just got huge and it never formed a head. I suspect brassicas just don't do what they are supposed to when not in soil.

I was able to grow red cabbage in my NFT setup. Decently dense heads, only real problems were they choked out the tube at times causing it to overflow and my eternal curse: aphids. Last year I grew exclusively tomato, pepper, and eggplant because those fuckers loved the broccolini and other leafy stuff (it's all outdoors). I'm not sure if it's soil they need vs some sort of stability for the roots to hold onto - I'm going to try brussel sprouts again this year in my clay/pearlite buckets.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
So glad I found this thread. I was hoping to get a more balanced view of how hydroponic lettuce *really* goes, and finding people talking about everything constantly dying of molds and aphids does great for putting me off throwing down $100 on all the hardware and consumables for 6 wilty gross lettuces and then giving up.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Man that sucks I’ve got a shed full of hydro weed and lettuces and three kinds of mustard greens and you can buy some ladybugs too which is fun

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

So glad I found this thread. I was hoping to get a more balanced view of how hydroponic lettuce *really* goes, and finding people talking about everything constantly dying of molds and aphids does great for putting me off throwing down $100 on all the hardware and consumables for 6 wilty gross lettuces and then giving up.

I'll say this as someone who has now had multiple aquaponics and hydroponics setups- you need to look at it as a hobby, not a way of actually efficiently growing food. It's almost like figuring out a puzzle and any food you get is a reward. To do it efficiently it has to be done large scale with natural sunlight.

The biggest trap in hydroponics is that youtube has hundreds videos showing systems in their prime a month or so in, but almost nobody has followup videos a year later showing all of the problems that ultimately crop up and cause most people to tear it all down. The few people that do have long term followups with working systems are all growing outside or in a greenhouse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arven posted:

The few people that do have long term followups with working systems are all growing outside or in a greenhouse.

This is basically why I'm reading this thread. The last time I had a green house (hoop house actually) I was going to try it and didn't. I'm ready to build a hard sided actual greenhouse and want to know if I should be planning on space for this.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Arven posted:

I'll say this as someone who has now had multiple aquaponics and hydroponics setups- you need to look at it as a hobby, not a way of actually efficiently growing food. It's almost like figuring out a puzzle and any food you get is a reward. To do it efficiently it has to be done large scale with natural sunlight.

The biggest trap in hydroponics is that youtube has hundreds videos showing systems in their prime a month or so in, but almost nobody has followup videos a year later showing all of the problems that ultimately crop up and cause most people to tear it all down. The few people that do have long term followups with working systems are all growing outside or in a greenhouse.

Hey! I'm lazy I can't be blamed for not continuing any of the hobbies I try.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 13, 2022

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Arven posted:

Yup, I already had that experience with an earthbox and other, plainer, cheaper kinds of growing things. I wasn't being sarcastic or anything, I genuinely appreciate this thread for showing what I was looking for, the dirty underbelly where it actually kinda sucks.

I started at "what the gently caress why would anyone buy this $900 automatic lettuce growing thing that can grow 12 lettuces at a time, once you factor in the running costs that'd take like 40 years with no problems to even pay for itself", then I found the $50 half-assed DIY ones and was starting to get tempted, but once I ran some numbers on the nutrients and pH balancers and poo poo it was looking like you're paying half the regular grocery store price of a lettuce per lettuce, plus a bunch of effort and the up front cost, and I assume the success rate is a fair bit less than 100%. (And I'm in Florida, where the humidity can grow mold and mildew even on an acidic piece of fire that's in a freezer.)

I guess mustard/alfalfa/sunflower sprouting in a jar is more my speed.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I was just about to start some of that

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I mean I love my system but I'm also a chemical engineer that never got to work in a refinery and loves Zachtronics games so an endless tinker system hits a lot of spots for me. That said, I've never had mold issues and just stopped planting things that aphids love. And as you point out, leafy greens are definitely on the "easier to just buy" end of the spectrum, but one or two plants gives me enough bell peppers in the freezer for over half a year and fancy tomato production, even after loss to birds and a very fat mouse, was ridiculous.

Also, and this is the big selling point for me, it lets me do garden stuff without having to bend over.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Indeed. A home hydroponic vegetable garden is like if you made a machine that could turn charcoal into a single 1 carat diamond and all it takes is about 20-30 hours of your dedicated time over 4 months and $50,000 worth of supplies.

I think we all started out thinking that maybe we were going to grow reasonably priced, perfect food but it is comforting to hear that others have had a bit of sticker shock when it comes to their hydroponic-grown delights. My broccoli grew for 3-4 months, using roughly $35 in electricity and about $10-15 worth of nutrients, or around $50 for 4 good sized heads of broccoli. The cauliflower that was in there too got so shaded by the broccoli it never achieved its potential, so I let it grow after removing the broccoli plants and it took off but then where the cauliflower would actually grow it just became filled with mold so I ended it.

I am also in Florida and during the winter the indoor humidity is around 60% since both the A/C and heater don't really run, so it is challenging to keep up with a tent that's transpiring a gallon every day on top of that. This year I even bought a 50 pint dehumidifier ($220 + 60 cents a day) to run in the same room. It has a significant but ultimately fruitless effect on the humidity level.

Yup, you gotta do it just because it is fun and interesting. Most of the other conditions such as watering, light intensity, fan speeds, and nutrient mix are fully under your control, so the whole thing is like a fun experiment more than anything else. I've also spent hundreds of hours building custom control solutions, sensors, designed PCBs, and had a dozen failures of trying some cheap eBay generic parts. I'm disappointed when things don't provide a product at the end, but it just means I'll either try again or just grow something else random next. And if anyone wants some of the billion thai bird chilis I still have in the freezer from a grow 2 years ago, swing by!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

CapnBry posted:

And if anyone wants some of the billion thai bird chilis I still have in the freezer from a grow 2 years ago, swing by!
Spicy peppers do seem to be the one thing that doesn't grow mold before the plant is ready in Florida. Well, that and some trees (citrus, avocado and banana seem to do okay). We had broccoli grow tall fast, outside, but then it went to seed almost before it had even formed a head. Gotta just grow hot climate stuff, which is mostly stuff I either don't really like, or that takes ten years to become a productive tree before it falls on your house at the next hurricane.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’ve found that a little shelf of hydro herbs is nice because you can put thyme and oregano in everything and you can have infinite mint.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mint and cockroaches are going to be the only thing that survives the nuclear apocalypse. I told my MIL not to plant it in the ground next to the other stuff. Two years later it's absolutely taken over everything

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What's up guys, I bought a Gardyn 2.0 for cheap off Facebook. This thing is a chintzy piece of poo poo and no one should pay full price for it. Honestly don't pay more than a couple hundo. But it does work and so far I'm liking this hobby.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My insane plan to do aquaponics from a fish tank has failed and I lost everything.

I still think it's 100% possible to set up a system that needs zero water changes ever. If I ever had the chance to try again I would buy green coconuts (live ones I mean), and try to germinate them from a salt water fish tank. Once that worked I would slowly add in more cool fish & corals and stuff.

Alternately, there's glasswort or whatever it's called. That could be easier to manage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I still think it's 100% possible to set up a system that needs zero water changes ever.

I setup this 5x6'x2' "pond" outdoors and other than scooping about 30 gallons of water out during a freak thunderstorm all I ever did was top it off with the garden hose every couple of weeks. Rightnow I have water hyacynth and water lettuce sucking up all the nutrients, but if I removed about half, I could probably feed my family on the plant matter grown from this 150 gallon stock pond thing. Many thousands of goldfish live in stock ponds across rural america keeping the mosquito population in check

Hadlock posted:

Put together a 450 gallon above ground pond for father's day. It is about 6' x 5' x 2' deep Started out about two weeks ago with a bowl full of water, added some dirt from the pond site, leaves, moss, sticks from the immediate area in an attempt to cultivate something approaching local outdoor acquaculture to prime the pond. It's now a disgusting mosquito larvae infested dish. Soon to be fish food I guess. Color of the water looks like tea, orange brown but clear. Some pond plants arrived, tossed them in large Tupperware storage bin with a pump. My toddler promptly disassembled them but I think a few survived. Innoculated the Tupperware container with two ounces of water from the bowl of mosquitoes. With the aquatic plants and no fish the water has stayed very clear. I think I have ~4 lbs of ceramic and plastic bio balls in there

Pond is just screwed together pressure treated (rot resistant) lumber from Lowe's, and an Amazon 10x13' pond liner. Took almost two hours to fill this afternoon. Tossed a 650gph pond pump with ceramic and plastic bio media, and a UV light in the pond after running it for a bit in a bucket. Top is trimmed with raw, rot resistant cedar. Didn't have enough will need to come back and fill in some gaps

And a year later:

Hadlock posted:

Pond update. Pretty amused how well this has worked over the last year or so. I'm pretty sure the huge amount of water relative to the number of fish has helped with the overall health of the system. Anyways

Lilly pads bouncing back nicely, had died back to a handful of half dollar sized leaves over the winter

Java Fern thriving, survived the winter with 33-50F water no problem. Snails went into dormancy over the winter and they got brown with algae but since water temps are in the 60s now they're keeping them clean again

Hard to photograph the moss but it's absolutely exploded since getting established late last fall

More plants that appear to have survived

Moss that has spontaneously started growing on surfaces I definitely didn't plant it on. Based on the size looks like it got established in mid January

Going to harvest all this stuff and ship it cross country in about two weeks, gonna have to buy a tank or two and use that "instant dechlorinator" not super happy about that but don't see any other choice

Then I moved to California and things are going fine, I just top it off with a hose once a week (a lot hotter/less humid here)

Hadlock posted:

Ricefish breeding update
Pond plant situation getting out of control, ha;lp

plants getting out of ontrol

Hadlock posted:

I have a bunch of water pond plants you can have

Hadlock posted:

This side of the pond has more of the dwarf hyacinth. If you scroll through my posts in this thread the plants are pretty well documented

Adding fish slowly, and not overpopulating the tank are key. I have like 3 dozen 1.5-2.0" fish + 3 Large goldfish plus six snails and maybe a couple hundred daphnia. Plus I dunno 3 lbs of high surface area filtration media the pump blows over/near

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 16, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My insane plan to do aquaponics from a fish tank has failed and I lost everything.

I still think it's 100% possible to set up a system that needs zero water changes ever. If I ever had the chance to try again I would buy green coconuts (live ones I mean), and try to germinate them from a salt water fish tank. Once that worked I would slowly add in more cool fish & corals and stuff.

Alternately, there's glasswort or whatever it's called. That could be easier to manage.
Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Hydroponics: My insane plan has failed and I lost everything

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the actual purpose of the freshwater aquaponics setup was to try and flip the script: instead of maximizing fish and trying to use plants to recuperate waste into some kind of side product, the animals are instead only in there to convert whatever i throw in to fertilize the plants. I was thinking there's gotta be a way to figure out and model how nutrient loads work -- like electronics or something as a metaphor -- and if i can do this I can have completely crazy poo poo, avocados and limes and whatever stuff, basically for free by throwing dead leaves into a tank of water.

The assumption being that throwing some stuff into water makes it break down pretty fuckin fast, possibly faster than in normal soil. Eventually you might be putting all kitchen and a lot of yard waste into a tank and it is able to rip through everything no problem, if you carefully select the tank residents.

the saltwater version was supposed to be slightly different: stuff like coconuts or mangroves or whatever, but the system set up to self-regulate in a simple way, because a lot of saltwater animals have very fragile reproductive cycles and if you could have a reliable baseline system that stabilizes all that you could get crazy cool stuff like scallops and weird critters reproducing in there. It'd be like putting an electric grid in a state of continuous brownout, but for nutrients (which if they build up will kill the inhabitants), but also have the benefit of not needing all kinds of bullshit like nutrient skimmers and poo poo like that which is a huge pain to clean and deal with. The plants being strong enough and demanding enough that they strip every available bit of excess out of the water column.

Somebody surely has already figured out this modeling system, but i couldn't find any info about it and tried to DIY

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I still think it's 100% possible to set up a system that needs zero water changes ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1u-XVMU3Q&t=818s

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just top off this planter every couple of weeks with untreated hose water. There's some heavy feeder pond plants on top, and a big ball of probably java or Christmas tree moss at the bottom, along with two small (1/2" and very fat - you can see a baby blue silver blur on the right of the first photo, that's one of them) fish and about 9 baby fish fry in there. And a chunk of cuttlefish bone about the size of my thumb. Total water volume is probably 8-12 gallons

My pond snail population exploded and I had a bunch of fry hatch about two weeks ago so I've been dosing it with a shake or two of fry food every morning during coffee. Also started picking pond snails out of there so they're not out-competing the fish for algae/infusoria. Also there might be a handful of daphnia in there keeping the water from going too green

The yellow-orange stripe along the bottom is pH which is reading about 6.5-7.0 which is about right

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 24, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

the actual purpose of the freshwater aquaponics setup was to try and flip the script: instead of maximizing fish and trying to use plants to recuperate waste into some kind of side product, the animals are instead only in there to convert whatever i throw in to fertilize the plants. I was thinking there's gotta be a way to figure out and model how nutrient loads work -- like electronics or something as a metaphor -- and if i can do this I can have completely crazy poo poo, avocados and limes and whatever stuff, basically for free by throwing dead leaves into a tank of water.

The assumption being that throwing some stuff into water makes it break down pretty fuckin fast, possibly faster than in normal soil. Eventually you might be putting all kitchen and a lot of yard waste into a tank and it is able to rip through everything no problem, if you carefully select the tank residents.

Somebody surely has already figured out this modeling system, but i couldn't find any info about it and tried to DIY

This is an interesting idea

I think you'd need a pool at least twice the size of a regular pool, so like 30,000 gallons to create a bioreactor for your kitchen/family of four. I'm not sure how exactly you'd model it but something like 4-8" of gravel on the bottom, some daphnia, pond snails and then I dunno like 40 medium to large size koi and 3000 rosy red minnows

Probably like 2 cubic feet a week of biomass (leaves and sticks mostly) fall into my pool, presumably natural ponds of the same size have the capacity to absorb and digest this. The big problem I see, besides slowly ramping up the bioreactor/pond in your backyard, would be that if you go on vacation, or start eating out more regularly, you'll starve off a lot of your pond and end up with a death spiral fish kill with low-oxygen/hypoxic/blackwater situation. This could probably be solved by having an even larger pond (90,000 gallons?) dilution is the solution and all that

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
At that point it's basically just a freshwater pond though, which are self-sustaining as long as the water is oxygenated.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Arven posted:

At that point it's basically just a freshwater pond though, which are self-sustaining as long as the water is oxygenated.
New hydroponics idea, just grow stuff outside wherever it grows naturally with zero maintenance, and graze on it occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah but it's a pond designed to throw all your trash into :science: