Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Meeces are terrifying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dead Goon posted:

Meeces are terrifying!

if it was at home I would cold draw my .22 or set a trap but it doesn't somehow seem right or fair to do so at the acres, I just need to improve security, see below

pallets. again. yay. totally. so pumped. much enjoyment

hello

pond got lower so I got youngest to bucket in 120 litres of rainwater and then forgot an after pic but it looked higher cause they put the water in

mice busted one of the thinner containers, in a cupboard I was sure they couldn't get into, wrecked my reserve coffee and some ration pack drinks, probably move to metal boxes I uno

least they left the cushions alone, treated them again

so fukken good, bursting with flavour and sweet

Re-cleared the cabin area, low effort but needed

found lots of funky moths chilling

And we did some more pallets and forgot the shot showing theres now like a fuckin' dozen pallets ready for war, or at least to become furniture or a wall or some'hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOd0dpHCIKA

spirit is willing, body is weak, circumstances are lovely but there's always more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I have no energy and yet I must camp

hi

first we got youngest set up with accommodations

blackberries still excellent, really juicy/flavoursome, they really hit the weather jackpot this year

alright, let's not get this out onto a tray because I'm fuckin' lazy tbh, it's all the way in the caravan

pretty sure I had this before, not bad but fairly bland, choc orange biscuits were grand though

brought loads of tools but not all the right tools for the job so I repeatedly hit it with a big hammer instead and it worked out okay and the big chair project is most of the way done and its also gonna get a little deck to go with it I think, so I can really lord it over the place

Bit less spicy than I had hoped for but nice enough

Fire was started to keep mosquitos away but quickly was appreciated as a source of heat, dropped a lot colder than expected

butane hobs in the dark become a lot more scifi looking

slept fairly well despite foxes running through the bushes and owls doing the hoots, wandered around an hour or so after dawn

second and first breakfasts, all day breakfast 10/10 no notes

elevenses was some cherry plums from a tree I never got to try before and they were amazing and I'm kicking myself for not saving the stones, will have to take a cutting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Z9WnvuxP0

hoping to do this again soon and do office bits like I had wanted to, post exertion malaise is slowing me down a lot right now but dear reader there will always be more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the grand so what the fucks happening update September edition

Yo. Moving to monthly updates for a variety of factors- my health is absolutely poo poo right now, I'm still stuck in financial limbo so I can't buy more poo poo to do things with, I have lots going on with family and friends going through both some beautiful and some heavy stuff but I guess the main thing is it got pretty fuckin' depressing to keep posting updates with nothing to them because it became a reminder of all the poo poo going on, rather than an escape from it

Alright, poo poo part done, 4 visits this period let's get it on

5/9

real fuckin' nice day

Chair got some stain, that was about it workwise

14/9

Real fuckin' nice curry

brought in poo poo

tried and failed filling some gaps with glue and not nearly enough sawdust but sometimes it's nice to learn the hard way

knocked some pallets together as well, making two parts of the south wall for the office

22/9

RIP Wilko's, killed by asset stripping capitalist fucks who should be [redacted on legal grounds]

What a lovely fuckin' start to autumn/fall

well now, wood filler. it fills wood! It does it about a thousand times better than something not designed to do it!

Anyway, it's important to that chair throne living a long time, not letting bugs or moisture in the gaps by getting rid of the gaps

ripped up some pallet into boards and bits, all parts ready for use on the office build

30/9

Autumn seems to be snapping faster than previous years, maybe because it wasn't as hot this year

Apple crops are grand, especially the Bramley (not pictured)

Main task was birdfeeding and sit and stare at things cause it was that or nothing and I like to show up at least once a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=env4ArYuL-M

well I guess that's it for now, more, soon

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Home grown apples taste so much better than shop bought.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 2, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

Home grown apples taste so much better than shop bought.

they do indeed and I'm especially looking forward to a big bramley crop this year

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Hey Dan, your updates are always beautiful and much appreciated and we will look forward to them on whatever schedule suits you!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Mousepractice posted:

Hey Dan, your updates are always beautiful and much appreciated and we will look forward to them on whatever schedule suits you!

here's a sneaky peek from today- don't show anyone else!

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Hahahah joke’s on you, I already shared it with everyone!!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Lackmaster posted:

Hahahah joke’s on you, I already shared it with everyone!!

u littel poo poo

I L U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtbfV205_dE

So this finished and its ready and it probably just went live so watch that or wait for me to write it up oldschool tomorrow while storm Ciaran wrecks my poo poo right up and I sit under a blanket and get high watching discovery

choice is yours

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

October '23 Roundup

now see people don't understand discovery because they simply just don't understand I just watched survived four seasons of loving enterprise and need something bright and flashy and with a lot of heart leave me alone with my bad opinions goddamn

8th

main mission was getting myself comfortable taking squirrels with the "new" gun, then I went and did so, a sorry task but necessary

much rather be stalking apples tbh

I changed batteries and cards and such but I haven't had the time to sit and sift the footage much- one is currently on timelapse and I might switch another over

15th

this day was particularly nice, sunny but with just a little bite in the air

never sure if its the same robin or not

As it was nice I stained wood, took awhile for the woodstain to soften but it got there with a lot of stirring- can't over sell how much having pressurised water for cleaning is, definitely going to buy some more kit for that when the time comes

I got some bramleys but they both had a worm hole so I cast them unto the scrubland in the hopes one day they may be new trees

24th

hi here's your helpful farmland tip don't stand near and especially not downhill of these things or gently caress with them because they get soggy and unevenly weighted and will loving demolish you if they choose to roll suddenly I have seen them move on their own as if shifted by a real buff ghost k thanks bye

sun was out but the chill was distinct

a few plants still put out hopeful flowers but these will never bear fruit

the day was mainly spent not doing much digging but it was still enjoyable to break in a new digging implement that's definitely a spade and not a shovel

definite autumnal feel

26th

and it kept sliding that way, whole place gets a bit quieter, bit like the afterparty to the rave of summer

pond had gotten quite dry and most insect life is going dormant now but these water beetles were having a ball in the slowly refilling murk- video shows this better go like comment and subscribe because it makes me tingly feeling

even the squirrels are acting sleepy

En Revue

wish I had more chances to get down there but between various poo poo and health issues I was lucky to manage my roughly one a week pace- what happens next is likely to be a short planting season (not quite soft enough yet where I need to plant) and then hopefully a lot of chainsaw action over winter- more, soon.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

October '23 Roundup
So much goodness in one post.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hey, nice jacket patch! And interesting info regarding the straw bales that I did not know despite growing up next to a farm.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

down and to the left

Also happy to see you post

:respek:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

:stoked:

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Great update!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

So much goodness in one post.

AKZ posted:

down and to the left

Also happy to see you post

:respek:

Lackmaster posted:

Great update!

thanks all!

Maugrim posted:

Hey, nice jacket patch! And interesting info regarding the straw bales that I did not know despite growing up next to a farm.

thanks I have done a few shirts with a few patches and really like em :)

I didn't know about the bales either till I saw one move and asked the neighboring farmer wtf

when I went today this fox was shaking hands with danger

need to talk with them about health and safety rules I guess

goddamn autumn hits just right

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

November Pain

Right so the video is ready because I do the sections as I go through the month but the post and the pictures aren't ready and I'm detaching myself from duties/reality for a day or three now to go raving so the proper post with pictures and all the hidden background poo poo will be later on when the ceiling has returned to the normal dimensions or however this goddamn spirit quest is going to proceed this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDbCWusGeg

more, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Placeholder/proof of life/proof of death

I'm still doing stuff and wanted to do updates etc but between irl stuff (nothing bad just lots of poo poo to deal with) and my health (es no bueno mi camarada) morale is good but I have gently caress all time/energy to spend, still been making visits, but ah...

don't read on if harm to rodents bothers you, skip it dear reader, because it sure as gently caress bothers me, hence I'm writing it out stream of consciousness style to try and get it out of my head and if you want to keep your experience as pretty things and life I don't blame you at all and I will post something pretty in a day or two

---

someone told me that people dream of being the farmer but not of doing the farming and I love the line but oftentimes forget it's real meaning and just feel smug about the little bits I do and in a small way end up deserving a rapid trip back to reality

about a month or so back the number of mice in the caravan was on a definite uptick, they weren't touching anything of mine but were nesting in the top front cupboard I had abandoned, 4 or 5 that I saw, so probably a dozen more but I had other things to do so I left them alone with the intent of chasing them out later

went back a little over a week ago, thought I would check up on it and opened up that top front cupboard and got an immediate diorama of a charnel house, blood and poo poo and torn fur and... parts everywhere and direct to eye and nostril level right in front of me because rats had gotten in and torn the whole nest apart

I don't know how many seconds I was stood there just staring at this tableau of horror but it wasn't many before I heard/felt/imagined a rustle by my leg and then I turned and it wasn't imaginary at all- I was in an enclosed space, trespasser to an unknown number of rats with a thousand places to hide and my skin felt like it was jumping off me

so then I wasn't in an enclosed space anymore very quickly and that was good because I could see a lot of movement when I looked behind me

Always know your exits, so if you need to take one quick, you sometimes find you already have.

I shot a rat earlier this year at home in my kitchen, that wasfound chewing on a mouse too and I'm not gonna lie it hosed me up a bit. Taking an unaware squirrel at twenty five metres in woodland is very different to a terrified rat at two metres and closing in the kitchen you make your porrage in every morning, and I had lovely dreams over it for it was neither swift nor merciful

And I had lovely dreams over this one too, of being torn apart in the dark with no escape.

The only real solution is going to be in more blood spilled and a lot of very nasty cleanup and repair work.

I love rats. Even with the fear of them. Even with the resentment of the job they have left me. Like with squirrels the more I learned about them the more I didn't want to kill them, but I have no real options here now if I want to keep the caravan functioning as even a storage shed.

people dream of being the farmer. if they are dreaming of the stuff I have to go do now, they need a therapist.

happy holidays!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 24, 2023

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

happy holidays!

And all the best to you and yours Dan.

RIP mice family.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
We had rat infestations in our two previous homes, and I was the primary (only) exterminator in the family. It took a while, but I got them all, most with traps, some with the air rifle - and the biggest one beat to death with a short wooden plank when I surprised it in the attic.

My somewhat recurring rat nightmare is about the time I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and looked down to see a pair of legs and a tail disappearing into the toilet bowl.

I respect rats, but I have no sympathy for them. Kill 'em all.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I have sympathy for them. I find that for every day I get older, the less anything about any living being can be wrong to me save for evil actions.

"And at the end of all, eternity asks you but only one thing: wether you lived in despair, or not."
- Søren Kierkegaard

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Happy Christmas and a better New Year, Dan.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Thanks all- lets get caught up a little first then talk about how things are

No-vember Recap

I'm not doing a daily thing I think there were 4 visits and the bulk of it was feeding the birds and then chilling out

Had to empty the water container as it was looking fit to split

And there was hedgerow management going on too

Can't remember if I mentioned that the foxes like to chill out on haybales? Well, they do (editors note, I did, like a post or two above, lol)

The more will be very soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

December Roundup

Rave my loving face off with some of the finest people I ever met, again? Sure!
Engage in a mind melting psychedelic and spiritual quest afterwards? Sounds great!
Doing this again in a month or two? Can't fuckin' wait!

Hasn't really gotten properly cold yet, I'm sure that bodes well for the climate, heh heh :smith:

Still observed constantly by cats

A feed bucket got eaten into- think there might have been a scrap or two of food trapped in the handle support bit, and once they found that out it attracted rats to nibble at the rest of the buckets, no breaches yet but definite attempts

nothing graphic within just gonna let people skip this part if they want

I have traps currently set, visiting a lot more often right now to check them/patrol even in spite of health/schedule and always with an air-rifle to hand. No results yet but equally I haven't had any more feed buckets hosed over (yet) but rats are smart- they know there is food in the caravan now and that knowledge must pass away with them- I will be patching holes etc as I find them but its a mostly wooden 1970's caravan and they can make new holes very easily if motivated, say, by a hundred fat balls and ten kilos of seed, my squeamish moralism has seemingly been quashed and I want this situation resolved. so the current plan is eliminate them as required while slowly clearing out the caravan- a task that will probably last into spring/summer priorities dependent

If it hasn't already by time of writing, this tree is going down and will probably make for a nice bit of habitat and firewood

told myself I wouldn't get anymore but my lovely neighbors gave me this wonderful present

As well as hedgerow management and a few other bits I sorted some firewood- still too muddy/warm to take more trees down yet

ah now see this is the fox on a bale picture I probably was thinking about in the last post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tBeKdlvxE

hopefully by this point next month it will be tales of tall trees felled and no feed buckets hosed over- whether you celebrate or not, I hope your holidays were happy.

More. Soon.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Thanks for the updates Dan

Them some fine apples.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Made two visits so far to feed birds/check stuff and another due tomorrow to hopefully do something useful, but with the ground still unfrozen and very boggy I can't safely deal with felling/pathway management yet and I feel pretty thrown by it fuk climate change

spookygonk posted:

Thanks for the updates Dan

Them some fine apples.

thanks bud

I got them at a really good time and the Cox/gala were especially good- the skin of the apple produces a very intense red juice, and the taste is very similar to a kanzi/jazz

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I love jazz apples, but they're so expensive in Tesco!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I did an instagram thing but I have little idea how it works and it seems very confusing and I suddenly felt very very old and was reminded of trying to teach my da how to use napster in 2001

anyway there's no real update on rat wars, today I fed the birds and cleared leaves from around the caravan to compost and there might be footage of that posted I'm not opening it again yet

Dead Goon posted:

I love jazz apples, but they're so expensive in Tesco!

They are really expensive and trademarked and such and that riles me to the point I dream of guerilla cutting raids on jazz/kanzi orchards

In Minecraft, with my solicitor

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

pushing the numbers

so in the last 4 weeks to this date I have hit 14 visits total and done very little on each of those other than face the invasions or feed birds, but its been a nice little challenge regardless and the end of the month video has some pretty stuff I guess

losses in the rat wars have been about 4-5 fatballs at the start of the month, no definite sign of them since, nothing caught inside the caravan but 2 rats seen taken nearby by the black cat, our lord and saviour. Being down there with the old rifle so often led to some incidental squirrel control efforts. Have now disarmed the live catch trap so I don't have to be there every 48 hours, next phase is figuring out more of a secure container for the feed and starting to patch some holes in the caravan. I also spent some time clearing and composting the thick layers of leaves from the ground around the caravan (about the only thing approaching labour) which might help a bit. So that was a lot of empty checked traps, and I can't say if I'm glad or not at all.

but finally the cold came and the ground finally started to firm up properly, so with any luck I might actually get to do some forestry work soon, only months late at this point! More! Soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

so yeah the ground didn't stay firm, january was record temperature by over a degree past previous record and

stuff that shouldn't be blooming yet is, bugs that shouldn't be out yet are and things feel loving wrong

because the ground is super slippy and the trees still active I haven't been doing much forestry work and largely I just trade in making coffee and sitting around the woods with a rifle looking like a low rent maquis re-enactor (send gauloises+beret plz)

I will do a better update with the video and some pretty pictures and less reality when I get time, nothing really much to mention because I can't do much seasonal work when the season just doesn't show up and frankly it's hard to post when I keep redacting vengeful threats from my own depressing writing

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Hey Dan, hope is all okay with you and your perfect plot of nature.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Sent a beret but I don't know if it will make it to you because I addressed it to "Dan, the five acres, Engerland."

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Hi Dan, all OK?
Been thinking about you and your thread.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Happy world rewilding day, apparently! I hope you're holding up okay Dan.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

touched that folks reached out to check on me and my apologies for disappearing/being unresponsive- it wasn't planned- just kinda happened

I think I posted before that line about the climate emergency being something you experience as videos from other people recording catastrophes on their phone until you are filming one yourself on yours

In some small ways I have now spent years doing the latter- and many tiny doses of that over a long time accumulated and now have caught up with me, hard.

not just the acres after what's effectively been a year without a winter nor the grim reactions of locals far more experienced and learned of the land- I see some childhood photos and get reminded of just how many thousands of loving insects would be smeared to paste on the windscreen of my dad's car after a drive on a summer's day back around '92 or '93 and my heart drops off a cliff because I'm watching a disaster movie play out, not over a lazy afternoon but the decades of my life

it has felt weird/dishonest/surreal and increasingly difficult to selectively post only of the beautiful and fine things while my head screams ever louder that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood- but continued john brown posting will likely end up with me getting a knock and talk from the local police at best (not gonna do a terrorism- honest 'guv- not even a little stochastic one for the lads) and it's not helpful to me nor good reading for you fine folks either

so I'm taking an extended posting break- not just here ITT or on SA but generally and I think it's gonna last awhile. I miss being around and I'm sad not to be sharing beautiful things and shitposting but it's giving me a little more time and energy to do some living, focus on the work (I haven't stopped, I will not ever cease) and deal with health/family stuff, which I haven't really touched on here but certainly is a thing right now.

Stay fabulous, and stay safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXe344hXFA0

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Godspeed, Dan. And thanks for the update - I was getting a little worried.

Hope to see you again in here.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Godspeed gentle spirit. Worried as well.

Hope to meet again some sunny day

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanks for all you've given us. I have enjoyed the ride a lot. Peace and good health to you and your family.

E: I will think of you when I feed the birds. I saw beautiful Eurasian Jay today who was too shy to go for the peanuts and a one eyed jackdaw who had no such compunction. The smaller birds seem to love the dried mealworms. The blackbirds are brutal enough to come begging.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Best of luck Dan. Thanks for taking us on this journey with you. Your own health and wellbeing should be your priority though. Go and enjoy the Acres.