Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Please never stop posting your adventures and pictures! I love this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
All the best, Dan!

Hope you will get better soon.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Hi Dan,

Please don't be desperate.
I love this thread!
Please continue on your 5 acres!

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

Also people had previously asked about donations and such and the fellas on the pod cast prompted me to set up this ko-fi link where you can give me money and I will put it into planting trees/shrubs/etc- if you have a preference of what then state your poison

Done!
Rock on!

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

Thankyou! Anything in particular you want it spent on?

You probably know best :hfive: - feel free to use it as you like!

I am enjoying all your adventures you report on here!
(And this thread is what rekindled my gardening lust and lead me to spending much time in my garden in the last 1,5 years (as long as we are living in our house). The garden is small and it is totally different than your garden and especially the Five Acres - but I am feeding the birds, have put up some housing for wild bees, have restarted the compost heap, have planted a lot of (simple) plants, ... So - thanks!)

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks for the post and the pictures! :tipshat:

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Best of luck, friend! :roboluv:

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
So, there will be no gifts for christmas this year for my children but the Five Acres will live again!

No fear - I don't have any children :classiclol:

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Why did you chop down the trees near the pond? (Honest question, not trying to throw shade... but that shade is now missing from the pond in the summer?)

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

Thats fine- I like talking shop :)

There is a reduction in shade- this will increase the sunlight for vegetative life and warm the water/surrounding mud a little for amphibians- the woodland around the place will still provide plenty of shade to various parts of the pond at various points of the day even at summertime sun angles

Other reasons are the leaves clogging up the pond and the water soaked up by the root systems- both contributing to low water levels overall

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation :hfive:

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry for the situation with your dad.
All the best to him, you, your family in a lovely situation.

Looking forward to your plans over the next years.
This thread brings me joy.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Still loving this thread!

It's been a big inspiration to do more and more gardening (after we had some space to ourselves).

Part of our garden just now:

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

Looks fantastic- that some buddleia at the back there? Got some in my front garden I really need to clone over to the farm

Yes, a dark violet buddleia (also called "butterfly lilac" here - a fitting name (even if it's not a lilac at all)).

Even some "Hummingbird hawk-moth" (Macroglossum stellatarum) Wiki have visited - a butterfly looking like hummingbird:

(Sorry for the bad image quality.)

Next year, I will sow some Galium verum (lady's bedstraw or yellow bedstraw) as I learned this is the food for the caterpillars of the hawk-moth above (and it's a native plant around here).

Other than the buddleias which have been taken over marginal spaces here and are considered quite invasive. But they stay in my garden. :)

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
My condolences, Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Hi Dan, all OK?
Been thinking about you and your thread.