Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Happy the catte is doing well!
Stay safe out there, I'm in Hampshire working in the countryside and the heat is brutal at the moment. We've just been told that there's a level 3 heatwave this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

cakesmith handyman posted:

If that's the largest tree bit you'll tackle a cordless sawzall with a long rough cut wood blade will do you fine, the problem will be running out of batteries.

New Lithium Ion batteries last for ages. We've just got some Husqvarna hedge cutters at work and they'll go a few hours of trigger time before the batteries need changing. A single tree shouldn't be a problem.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

The fungi is called King Alfred's Cake, amongst other names and is found on dead wood. The black ones can be used as a fire lighter if it is thoroughly dry!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DesperateDan posted:

Found a length of terracotta pipe while I was at it- can't dig or search too vigrous for more as it was right on top of a badger/fox set and I don't want to disturb those cool buds. Seems old.

If the hole is like a capital D on its side, it is probably a Badger sett as they are fat fuckers. You can tell it is active if there is signs of bedding around/in the entrance. You may also see some hair/fur around the entrance. Fox earths tend to be taller than wide and will have a lot of earth excavations in front of them.

You probably know this, but it is worth stating that it is illegal to dig/disturb the ground around a Badger sett.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DesperateDan posted:

And then one allowed me a few moments more, which was kind

Thats a Cinnabar moth. You find them on ragwort and they have really cool orange striped caterpillars!

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/cinnabar

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Probably a Sparrow hawk. Buzzards and Kites tend to be scavengers, where as Sparrow hawks and Peregrine falcons are the Exocet missiles of the bird world.
Someone I work with keeps and races pigeons and he absolutely hates them because they constantly take his birds!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

This video came up in my Youtube feed. Looks like a fun project if you have a bit of woodland to play with. It would go well with your home made shillelagh.
I really want one of this guys knives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViQF11GPhtI

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DesperateDan posted:

btw these fancy brand name "mechanix" gloves barely lasted a day or two of actual work before coming apart at the seams and customer service don't give a poo poo

I use leather drivers gloves (different from leather driving gloves - they’re a bit Partridge) when I scrub bash or do chainsaw work. They’re very hard wearing (and importantly thorn proof) and you can get fleece lined ones that keep your hands nice and toasty in the cold weather too.

You can get them on Amazon, but if you have any ag supply shops near you, they usually stock them also. A pair normally lasts me about a year and I pretty much use them everyday.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DesperateDan posted:

Chainsaw next? More planting? Who knows. Probably future me, that ruggedly handsome bastard! More soon!

A few tips, take it slow and work from the crown back. Depending on how long it’s been over, the root plate may fall back into the hole once the weight starts to be removed.
Also, the tension and compression could be all over the place and it’s very easy to get your saw trapped, so again take it slow and keep an eye on what the cut is doing.
This is literally what I’ve been clearing over the past couple of weeks!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DesperateDan posted:

count with me to one, two, three!

First picture is a Meadow Brown, the second is a Small White.
Good pictures! They don’t usually sit still long enough for me.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Maugrim posted:

Huh, is he a wilding enthusiast as well or did he just buy it on a whim and then realise it was too much work or what

What advantages does what you're doing have over leaving it completely to its own devices - I presume nicer to be in/wander in and a wider variety of habitats for better biodiversity? And lots more fruit for everyone of course :)

I read that you need permission from the council to set up a caravan on even privately owned land - was that an issue for you or was it already there & permissions sorted

Sorry this is a bunch of questions, I get suddenly intensely interested in stuff and today the topic of choice is rewilding!

There is a little more to rewilding than simply leaving it to it's own devices. If you did nothing, it would simply scrub over in time and become a dense thicket of thorn and bramble. Whilst that is pretty good habitat for some things, its not great for others. What you are looking to do when rewilding (at least on the scale that Dan is at) is to replicate what animals would be doing. So you would be looking to cut meadows a few times a year and clear scrub in the winter months. Larger animals such as cows and horses will trample scrub and tend to supress young growth so it doesn't entirely take over. Ideally, when you cut you should also remove any cuttings (or burn them) as leaving them would enrich the soil more and you find the bramble (and more vigorous species) will overtake anything else!

One of the sites I help to manage currently have some exmoor ponies (they are pretty hardy and good at keeping scrub down), about 30 cows (and we are getting some Highlands which I'm pretty excited about) and some sheep. I ought to start posting some pictures of them, but I don't want to take the spotlight from the great stuff that Dan is doing!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Ok so I got some pictures of the animals I currently have on the site!

The Exmoor ponies (or the bastard ponies when your trying to count them and one of them is up that hill somewhere in the background)

Jakobs Sheep, they are very friendly, always come up to you! (although I don't trust the one at the back with the straight horns :devil:)

The cows, not sure what breed, I think they're a mix. They're pretty chill and tend to leave you alone.

A few more pictures taken from around the site!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

AceClown posted:

it's not too bad at all, the sites that we manage are joint owned between the council and Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, every once in a while they go "hey we have a few thousand quid spare, what do you lads need?" and honestly it baffles me how it happens but I'll take it

few years back we got a couple of these imported from Canada as our trails get fuckin battered with alder saplings and they're a pain in the arse to mattock out

Those Tree poppers are great, bloody heavy though. If you can get a volunteer work party in they can clear a large area really fast. I'm currently restoring some chalk grass land and those things get the small bastard hawthorns out by the roots. Best thing is, I don't have to treat any stumps with chem afterwards.

That mower, is it a flail head as those just destroy undergrowth?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

To add to this, traditionally spindles (the tool) were made from this shrub, which is why they are called Spindle bushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Best of luck Dan. Thanks for taking us on this journey with you. Your own health and wellbeing should be your priority though. Go and enjoy the Acres.