Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I was a professional Script Editor/Doctor for about a year and a half.

I think maybe the thing you need to understand most about a place like that is the people looking at your script are likely to be looking at two other scripts in the same day, and will need to write either Development Notes (what we send to writers) or Coverage (what we send to studios) for each. It's very likely they won't have time to read your script more than once, and it's also very likely they'll read your script and then immediately begin writing up a report on it without really having any time for it to sink in/ This can be a problem, as this process doesn't always allow for the... best way to "absorb" a work, especially one that#s written very visually/with directorial cues, or one with a lot of subtlties.

Not to toot my own horn, though, but I think despite the hectic working conditions, most of the people at my company really knew what they were talking about. So, my take is that you're essentially going to be paying for a professional's opinion who has read 5000 scripts, but also has a bunch of other poo poo to do that day.

I don't know about the Black List, but the biggest problem sites like these have is selling the lie of there being a "formula" to make your script better or, even more ludicrously, there being a formula to make it more sellable. Any place that says you need to hammer and bend your screenplay into following a strict set of guidelines is totally delusional imo.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just started a tiny youtube channel and was thinking about talking as my time as a script doctor, so if you're interested feel free to check it out and suggest a topic or whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all! Second part of my series on Screenwriting is out. This one is about what it is a Script Consultant does, and whether or not it's a good idea for you (as a screenwriter) to hire one.

• Locked thread