Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My favorite by a long shot has to be the warp effect from the 2009 Star Trek movie.

It's a shame they only got one good shot of it. In the sequels they added those dumb sparkles and it significantly detracts from the effect, IMO.

For a while I was partial to the "jump" from Battlestar Galactica.

It makes for a great visual when performed by a large fleet, especially jumping in. I don't think it has the impact of the Star Trek warp, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The FTL effect from the CGI Captain Harlock film gets points for creativity, but I think it's too drawn out to be top tier.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Applewhite posted:

The FTL effect from the CGI Captain Harlock film gets points for creativity, but I think it's too drawn out to be top tier.

That's pretty awesome.

I like the jump effect for capital ships in Elite Dangerous. The noise they make and the dark clouds it generates is foreboding. You don't wanna get near one when it jumps in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwtZrtmOCU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Nothing will ever top going to plaid.

MY BRAINS ARE GOING INTO MY FEET

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

When I was 6 there was a cartoon I watched every day called “Starblazers”. In one episode they use a warp engine and the effect was almost scary, the ship dissolved and existed in all times at once, like flying over cavemen and dinosaurs.

As an adult I found out it was a Japanese cartoon and they edited out the fact the the warp engine made the girls be naked for some reason.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TopHatGenius posted:

That's pretty awesome.

I like the jump effect for capital ships in Elite Dangerous. The noise they make and the dark clouds it generates is foreboding. You don't wanna get near one when it jumps in.

Oh that's pretty cool. That's a good one for when you want suspense. Like "oh poo poo, what's gonna come out?"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Collector ship jumping in from Mass Effect 2 startled the poo poo out of me when I first played it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
RIP SR-1.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The hyperspace effect from Star Wars is pretty good. Very basic and minimalist but still packs a lot of punch.

It shows FTL doesn't need to be flashy to be cool.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I remember this being way cooler but still:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us3j3n_QMWw&t=96s

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Was going to share the warp effect from Star Trek: The Motion Picture as my least favorite because it's so busy, but watching it again I guess it isn't as horrible as I remembered. The flash at the end makes up for a lot of the gaudy nonsense. Still I think it's way overdone.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Of course there's a supercut of all the Star Trek starships going to warp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1kkB_qF28

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Enterprise E had a pretty good one.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Applewhite posted:

The hyperspace effect from Star Wars is pretty good. Very basic and minimalist but still packs a lot of punch.

It shows FTL doesn't need to be flashy to be cool.

Yeah, Star Wars ships going to hyperspace is good, but I always preferred when they arrived. Rogue One did a great job when the rebel fleet arrived above Scarif. I like the stutter as the fleet pops in.

It was well handled in the X Wing games, great tension to finish your objective near death and frantically close the S foils and mash the H key.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, Star Wars ships going to hyperspace is good, but I always preferred when they arrived. Rogue One did a great job when the rebel fleet arrived above Scarif. I like the stutter as the fleet pops in.

It was well handled in the X Wing games, great tension to finish your objective near death and frantically close the S foils and mash the H key.

Watching the fleets in star wars popping in like popcorn is really fun. I also enjoy watching a fleet arrive in Sins of Solar Empire, especially when it's mine.

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts
i just realized ftl = faster than light

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Sins, their in-game FTL effects were okay, but they looked really hot in the trailer for Rebellion

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Applewhite posted:

Speaking of Sins, their in-game FTL effects were okay, but they looked really hot in the trailer for Rebellion

Individual FTL was meh. But maxing out fleet size and jumping as one in formation to war was always great.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Considering how it works, the Warhammer 40k Warp Travel in Dawn of War 2 looks rather awesome. They're not flying in - they're being PULLED in.

Here's how it looks when a ship goes in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9BPyXkPmM

And very briefly - when a ship (after being lost for hundreds of years in the warp) comes back out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni9znmTuV4U

Soul Reaver has a new favorite as of 07:53 on May 17, 2018

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So which is your preferred type of FTL? Instantaneous jumps or zooming from one place to another really fast?

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
WH40K FTL owns because rather than humanity discovering a cool technology to provide some novel method of transportation they have hosed up psychics who die at like age 30 from doing this open a portal to a crazy demon dimension that coincidentally is faster to travel through than normal space. if something goes wrong chances are extradimensional horrors will torture and murder everyone on board and the ship will get spat out somewhere filled with flesh-beasts and just drift in space until somebody tries to retrieve it. everyone assumes the god-emperor has their back or whatever while they're in there but also they're hoping all the warp-demons don't just one day decide to test that en masse. drat I wish I had discovered this poo poo when I was 16.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Kinsky posted:

WH40K FTL owns because rather than humanity discovering a cool technology to provide some novel method of transportation they have hosed up psychics who die at like age 30 from doing this open a portal to a crazy demon dimension that coincidentally is faster to travel through than normal space. if something goes wrong chances are extradimensional horrors will torture and murder everyone on board and the ship will get spat out somewhere filled with flesh-beasts and just drift in space until somebody tries to retrieve it. everyone assumes the god-emperor has their back or whatever while they're in there but also they're hoping all the warp-demons don't just one day decide to test that en masse. drat I wish I had discovered this poo poo when I was 16.

It’s still bitchin when you’re 30.

:foreveralone:

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Kinsky posted:

FYI the movie "Event Horizon" is sort of like WH40k fanfiction.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Heres a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPrtQ9AdoM0&t=296s

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Applewhite posted:

For a while I was partial to the "jump" from Battlestar Galactica.

It makes for a great visual when performed by a large fleet, especially jumping in. I don't think it has the impact of the Star Trek warp, tho.

I loved the "Adama Maneuver".

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

that's what I needed, thank you

oh and I guess if I am to sorta contribute maybe this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2hM1tyEL0U&t=79s

incoherent light has a new favorite as of 02:50 on May 17, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kinsky posted:

They have technology that keeps the demons off of them while they're flying through Hell to get to where there going. The craziest thing about FTL in 40K is that that's literally the only way to do it. Every form of meaningful space travel has something to do with the Warp in one way or another as the setting assumes that relativity completely, totally holds as a hard and fast rule of the physical universe. The Warp, though...poo poo's different there.

Anyway, the books tend to talk about things like Geller Fields that keep the Warp at bay so they can travel through it safely. It usually works. You know...usually. The other snag is that you can't even look at the warp without special protection without completely losing your mind or getting corrupted by it so the ships themselves don't tend to have a lot of windows. The Warp is also how the Imperium handles galactic-scale communication. Specifically trained psychics with special equipment are hooked into a network of other psychics that send messages through the Warp to each other.

Only, well...this is Hell we're talking about. Sometimes what you get back, uh...isn't the message, the psyker explodes, and now you have a huge loving demon on your ship just itching to bring some friends with him. For all their uses psykers aren't exactly loved and respected as their powers are literally channeling the power of Hell into the real world and that can have consequences.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

When playing a Psyker in the 40k RPG, you have to roll on this table every time you use an ability:

:getin:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
40k always just sounds so tryhard edgy grimdark, but god drat I love their take on it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Super Waffle posted:

When playing a Psyker in the 40k RPG, you have to roll on this table every time you use an ability:

:getin:

It wasn't every time you used any power. At least not the version I played. Even so anybody playing a psyker really, really didn't want to use the big powers even if it would solve the situation completely because the stronger the power the more likely bad poo poo happened. Granted you didn't even want to be spamming weak powers because even minor stuff could potentially leave you clawing your own eyes out while you vomit demons.

Sentient Data posted:

40k always just sounds so tryhard edgy grimdark, but god drat I love their take on it

It's a fun setting because it knows how completely absurd it is and just kind of revels in it. It's not trying to pretend that it's some masterpiece of anything. It's just standing there like "yeah I'm totally loving ridiculous and I like it. Deal." It doesn't even play itself entirely straight or act like it's super duper cool or anything. It's just kind of there, doing its thing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i feel like i'd stop using my smartphone if every time i shitpost on twitter there was a 1% chance of it turning into a demon and a .25% chance of it getting sucked into a black hole

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Soul Reaver posted:

FYI the movie "Event Horizon" is sort of like WH40k fanfiction.

Same with Chronicles of Riddick. The Necrons are all kinds of based off 40k. I cant find either clip but they talk about the warp and going mad looking into it as well as using Psychers for communication through the warp.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Soul Reaver posted:

Considering how it works, the Warhammer 40k Warp Travel in Dawn of War 2 looks rather awesome. They're not flying in - they're being PULLED in.

Here's how it looks when a ship goes in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9BPyXkPmM

And very briefly - when a ship (after being lost of hundreds of years in the warp) comes back out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni9znmTuV4U

In Homeworld they open a gate that envelops them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BcZ5rgs_Us&t=710s
The artists said it was a placeholder effect they never totally finished but liked enough to stick with. Just imagine it's anything else. :v:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

TopHatGenius posted:

That's pretty awesome.

In the same vein I like the ones from Freespace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGyDbzLwX0&t=745s

Usually you just see smaller lights as fighters or lighter cruisers come in but when a massive one pops open with the schweeeeEEEEEEE, it's like... poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zXnTKkEr54&t=863s

e; about 12:30 and 14:25 for each video respectively, if I hosed up the timestamps

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The craziest thing about FTL in 40K is that that's literally the only way to do it. Every form of meaningful space travel has something to do with the Warp in one way or another as the setting assumes that relativity completely, totally holds as a hard and fast rule of the physical universe.

The Necrons have FTL that doesn't use the Warp at all (seeing as warp travel requires a soul, which the Necrons lack). Except they're Clarke's Third Law: The Faction, and they refuse to explain their technology to any of the fleshy races.

:goonsay:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The Necrons have FTL that doesn't use the Warp at all (seeing as warp travel requires a soul, which the Necrons lack). Except they're Clarke's Third Law: The Faction, and they refuse to explain their technology to any of the fleshy races.

:goonsay:

Warp travel actually doesn't require a soul. The warp exists whether you have a soul or not but things without souls don't interact with the warp. But yeah the necrons don't explain themselves so who the hell knows how any if their poo poo actually works?

Even the Tau use part of the warp for space travel and they have no presence in it at all. They don't have psykers because they can't.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Warp travel actually doesn't require a soul. The warp exists whether you have a soul or not but things without souls don't interact with the warp. But yeah the necrons don't explain themselves so who the hell knows how any if their poo poo actually works?

Even the Tau use part of the warp for space travel and they have no presence in it at all. They don't have psykers because they can't.

No explanation offered for why none of the other races in their commune can’t cover down.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

No explanation offered for why none of the other races in their commune can’t cover down.

I think they were playing with a new variety of space dwarf that could be psychic that the Tau were bros with but I have no idea if that idea actually took off. Haven't paid much attention to the fluff in recent years. The Tau used to have a non-Warp way and were really nice dudes but that got retconned away to fit the setting better. Now the Tau don't go full on into the Warp to do space travel but they basically dip their toes in. They know what psykers are because they exist all over the rest of the galaxy but the Tau themselves are never psykers and don't register in the Warp. But that, you know, doesn't stop a demon from tearing a Fire Warrior in half or from a psyker puking lightning all over them. Even if they can't interact with it personally they know it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I dunno if it's my favorite effect ever but I absolutely love the presentation of this one.

• Locked thread