Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
It's from a book but A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet had a neat version where ships punch through the fabric of spacetime into a place called the "sublayer." They need a specially bred alien who can perceive cardinal directions within in order to guide ships through it, and being in the sublayer screws with your perception of time, space, place, and your senses, so most of the time nonessential personnel just take a sleep tab and zonk out for the duration of a jump. The author was more interested in explaining how travelling through the sublayer felt rather than how it looked, so it really stood out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
That was the one where they have to create a tunnel between two gates with a specialized ship to do FTL right? That was a fun idea. You always have to send a special ship with a special alien through the sublayer first so it can drop buoys and build a gate at the exit so that normal ships can use FTL.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Doesn't wh40k lore basically say that the warp is only as hosed up as it is because a) the eldar went a bit too overboard with their sex&death orgies and b) because the humans firmly believe in it being hosed up, therefore making it so? Or am I mixing things up?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

System Metternich posted:

Doesn't wh40k lore basically say that the warp is only as hosed up as it is because a) the eldar went a bit too overboard with their sex&death orgies and b) because the humans firmly believe in it being hosed up, therefore making it so? Or am I mixing things up?

It was hosed up from the word go with sentient species and their thoughts - at least in this galaxy. One book they go slightly beyond our galaxy and a few dozen psykers go nuts when they can't hear/feel anything anymore in just a short time.

Tzeentch may have always been there, Khorne after the first murder, who the hell knows about Nurgle. The eye of terror, the big incursion into the real world was pretty much Eldar murder-orgies for millennia that resulted in the birth of the fourth chaos god. There are no good Eldar - just death bed repentant ones who don't want their souls devoured and those that sell other people's souls for extra time. Timeline wise we were around for Slaanesh's birth, but weren't the cause for it anymore than rocks and rising sea levels.

Most of the repentant ones see humans as making it worse, because they are in the trillions and Eldar are just dicks who got upset when their Housing Authority was ruled null.

One of the early Tau codex books said they don't have FTL, which is why their expansion is so slow out of the Eastern Fringe - and one of the games had them not hearing any of the taunts from Chaos because they are either soulless husks or just lucky enough not to interact with the warp

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I thought Warp was pretty okay place up until "War in Heaven", in which so much psychic energy and agonizing death happened that Immaterium became Warp we know.

Also Nurgle is the chaos god of "I do not want to die", meaning hes also very old.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sormus posted:

I thought Warp was pretty okay place up until "War in Heaven", in which so much psychic energy and agonizing death happened that Immaterium became Warp we know.

Also Nurgle is the chaos god of "I do not want to die", meaning hes also very old.

Yeah the warp predates humans a lot. It's basically just always been there and reflects emotional responses from nearly all sentient beings. The strongest emotions are things like fear, rage, and lust so they register strongly. Given that 40k is a pretty dismal setting overall the Warp reflects that. In theory the warp could become nicer but good luck on getting that to happen when everybody is fighting everybody else all the time. The chaos gods are also immensely powerful so of course they're going to stir the pot constantly to keep things that way.

There are suggestions that the Eldar gods are created the same way as chaos gods. Which is why they died except Kaine and the laughing god. The warp was less awful before the Eldar became decadent. Still not a place you wanted to be but not the horror we think of. The Eldar individually are way more psychic and emotional than humans so they affect the warp more strongly. There were a lot more Eldar before Slaanesh happened. Their collective decadence coalesced into...well, that. They view humans as little more than undisciplined cattle. The Dark Eldar look at humans as no more than food.

What the war in heaven did was let the enslavers out and destabilize the warp. It didn't quite become horrible yet but it was less nice. More life makes the warp stronger which is why the necrons wake up to do a lot of murdering when they notice enough life around. They hate life, they hate the warp, and they can't even properly interact with it. So now that everything is terrible the warp is just awful.

Fun fact: space orks also register in the warp which makes gork and mork real. They basically just run around the warp and punch each other a lot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

System Metternich posted:

Neither of those things help, but it was the War in Heaven (the one between the Necrontyr and the Old Ones, not the one between Vaul and Kaela Mensha Khaine) that originally hosed it up.

Speaking of, Ive always thought it was cool that the Tyranids travel by sucking up a planet's gravity and then using that to create a work hole. This rips the planet apart in a catastrophic manner.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjjANMCYm9o&t=50s

i've always been a fan of the Homeworld method of gates.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Applewhite posted:

So which is your preferred type of FTL? Instantaneous jumps or zooming from one place to another really fast?

The orgasm-powered starships from Norman Spinrad's novel The Void Captain's Tale.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Now that I think about it the Tau not registering in the warp is pretty clever. They've been retconned to hell and back but the ethereal caste controls the rest of them with pheromones. They're more like very intelligent humanoid bees. They're generally portrayed as mostly unemotional and stoic. But they don't think entirely for themselves. The warp exists so they could prod at it technologically without understanding the psychic side of it until they met other races.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Even though the actual look was a little "eh" (because of a tiny budget,) I liked Babylon 5's take on hyperspace in that it was an actual "layer" or space that, once in, you moved about as normal.

So you needed either a jump engine or a jump gate to get into it, but once in, you just used regular engines to move around; so small transports, even small fighters, can get in/out of hyperspace via a gate or jump point opened by someone else.

They also mentioned how stars, black holes, etc... have gravity "shadows"/tides/eddies in hyperspace, and if you lose a homing beacon from a "known" location, you'd have no idea where you were and just drift forever.

Edit: That being said, I still have no idea why hyperspace is red when you're in it, blue when you come out, and yellow when you go in.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: That being said, I still have no idea why hyperspace is red when you're in it, blue when you come out, and yellow when you go in.

The gate colors were probably chosen as a reference to the Doppler effect so that objects moving toward you (incoming gates) are blueshifted and away (outgoing) are redshifted. The color of hyperspace when actually inside always was weird to me but w/e.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

Applewhite posted:

The gate colors were probably chosen as a reference to the Doppler effect so that objects moving toward you (incoming gates) are blueshifted and away (outgoing) are redshifted. The color of hyperspace when actually inside always was weird to me but w/e.

I always just assumed that someone had played too much Star Control 2, because the B5 hyperspace and SC2 hyperspace have a really similar vibe.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I’m a big fan of “punchy” FTL like in Battlestar Galactica and Elite: Dangerous. I like when ships arrive with a BOOMF. Elite kinda flubs the pilot view though IMO - witchspace is just kinda messy feeling and Supercruise is a bit understated. But the capital ships are loving awesome to see arriving.

Goonmade game House Of The Dying Sun has loving great FTL too - the jump out at the end of a mission feels amazing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah the warp predates humans a lot. It's basically just always been there and reflects emotional responses from nearly all sentient beings. The strongest emotions are things like fear, rage, and lust so they register strongly. Given that 40k is a pretty dismal setting overall the Warp reflects that. In theory the warp could become nicer but good luck on getting that to happen when everybody is fighting everybody else all the time. The chaos gods are also immensely powerful so of course they're going to stir the pot constantly to keep things that way.

There are suggestions that the Eldar gods are created the same way as chaos gods. Which is why they died except Kaine and the laughing god. The warp was less awful before the Eldar became decadent. Still not a place you wanted to be but not the horror we think of. The Eldar individually are way more psychic and emotional than humans so they affect the warp more strongly. There were a lot more Eldar before Slaanesh happened. Their collective decadence coalesced into...well, that. They view humans as little more than undisciplined cattle. The Dark Eldar look at humans as no more than food.

What the war in heaven did was let the enslavers out and destabilize the warp. It didn't quite become horrible yet but it was less nice. More life makes the warp stronger which is why the necrons wake up to do a lot of murdering when they notice enough life around. They hate life, they hate the warp, and they can't even properly interact with it. So now that everything is terrible the warp is just awful.

Fun fact: space orks also register in the warp which makes gork and mork real. They basically just run around the warp and punch each other a lot.

The orks seem like the nicest of the bunch. Maybe the Tau? IDK much about them

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Applewhite posted:

I liked how all the young races and the Vorlons use jump gates, but each of the other old ones have their own way of getting in and out of hyperspace

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
I know it's been linked already but it needs to be seen

https://i.imgur.com/CB1qdWF.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/3kRCYYR.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/LeODAfF.gifv

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I prefer going into another dimension where you can't tell if you died or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJio07EtKYc

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I always liked the FTL drives from the Hyperion books. They were only usable by people who were infected by a parasite which could rebuild the host's body after death and revive them because the inertia from sudden acceleration would obliterate all the humans on board.

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
Not FTL, but in the book "We are Bob, we are legion" the main character is living in our time. Comes into possession of a large sum of money and decides to have himself cryogenically frozen after death. And gets hit by a bus after leaving the office.

He wakes up centuries later to find out that his mind has been uploaded in a computer. After getting used to that he gets installed in a spaceship. He cant travel faster than light, but he can alter how he perceives time. It takes decades to travel between stars but he can just alter his time perception. On the opposite side if he is in combat he can slow down his perception and can do tactical decisions in a micro second.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tsaedje posted:

I liked how all the young races and the Vorlons use jump gates, but each of the other old ones have their own way of getting in and out of hyperspace

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the series, or a book, or maybe just by JMS in one of the many "bulletin board" posts he used to make, but none of the younger races developed jump gate/engine technology, they all got it from someone older than themselves.

http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Jumpgate

quote:

It is unknown exactly which race invented the technology as nothing of the original jumpgate builders has ever been found and all that can be determined by examining the gates themselves is that the aliens had been highly advanced, and extraordinary engineers. ...
Some of the younger alien races such as the Minbari and the Centauri discovered the gates while exploring the outer edges of their own solar systems in their early, primitive sub-light ships.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIkHm9gn-iA&t=21s

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MrDutch posted:

Not FTL, but in the book "We are Bob, we are legion" the main character is living in our time. Comes into possession of a large sum of money and decides to have himself cryogenically frozen after death. And gets hit by a bus after leaving the office.

He wakes up centuries later to find out that his mind has been uploaded in a computer. After getting used to that he gets installed in a spaceship. He cant travel faster than light, but he can alter how he perceives time. It takes decades to travel between stars but he can just alter his time perception. On the opposite side if he is in combat he can slow down his perception and can do tactical decisions in a micro second.

A similar thing happens in House of Suns, a dude ship-of-theseus's himself into a supercomputer by replacing one neuron at a time. He eventually upgrades his brain into a swarm of tiny robots which he spreads out throughout the solar system, and can alter the speed of his perception by expanding the robot cloud and slowing down communication.

It also has a chase scene lasting 50 thousand years. Because space is seriously big.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
K-PAX.

Adios. Aloha.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtTXaIkazw

I always loved this effect. Movie creeped the hell out of me when I saw it in the theater.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I always liked the FTL drives from the Hyperion books. They were only usable by people who were infected by a parasite which could rebuild the host's body after death and revive them because the inertia from sudden acceleration would obliterate all the humans on board.

As stupid as the latter books got, people getting instantly pulped and then resurrected was a sick-rear end way to tie Catholicism into FTL.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'll tell you what effect I DIDN'T like:
The one they used for the SyFy Dune miniseries

Trash tier.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Applewhite posted:

Trash tier.

lovely FLT effects huh?

https://youtu.be/cWW8bTqyr_c (wish I could find a better video)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alexander is a stupid name for a Klingon.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Alexander is a stupid name for a Klingon.

Um excuse me Alexander of Macedon conquered the known world before he was 20.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I really like the effect the alien craft from Arrival used as they departed. They just kinda dissolved/decohered into vapour, which I found kinda inventive and original.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Trash tier.

Almost as good as the original

As for mine, it's also the Star Trek 2009 one, except it's the moment they arrive holy poo poo did that get me pumped up :getin:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Um excuse me Alexander of Macedon conquered the known world before he was 20.

Are you implying that Alexander the Great was a Klingon?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He would have made an excellent Klingon.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I liked the old eve online lightning effect.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Bertrand Hustle posted:

He would have made an excellent Klingon.

A klingon wouldnt've died of a loving cold or whatever at like 25y.o.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
"Frameshift drive charging"

Then freaky witch space blasting past your face in VR.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I was always partial to Farscape’s starburst thing, personally - both in appearance and concept. That episode where the ship got “stuck” was pretty awesome. Hell, almost all of them were.

Maybe this should be going in the PHUO thread instead. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

"Frameshift drive charging"

Then freaky witch space blasting past your face in VR.

you say freaky but you mean terrifying, right?

• Locked thread