Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My favorite by a long shot has to be the warp effect from the 2009 Star Trek movie.

It's a shame they only got one good shot of it. In the sequels they added those dumb sparkles and it significantly detracts from the effect, IMO.

For a while I was partial to the "jump" from Battlestar Galactica.

It makes for a great visual when performed by a large fleet, especially jumping in. I don't think it has the impact of the Star Trek warp, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The FTL effect from the CGI Captain Harlock film gets points for creativity, but I think it's too drawn out to be top tier.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TopHatGenius posted:

That's pretty awesome.

I like the jump effect for capital ships in Elite Dangerous. The noise they make and the dark clouds it generates is foreboding. You don't wanna get near one when it jumps in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwtZrtmOCU

Oh that's pretty cool. That's a good one for when you want suspense. Like "oh poo poo, what's gonna come out?"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Collector ship jumping in from Mass Effect 2 startled the poo poo out of me when I first played it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The hyperspace effect from Star Wars is pretty good. Very basic and minimalist but still packs a lot of punch.

It shows FTL doesn't need to be flashy to be cool.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Was going to share the warp effect from Star Trek: The Motion Picture as my least favorite because it's so busy, but watching it again I guess it isn't as horrible as I remembered. The flash at the end makes up for a lot of the gaudy nonsense. Still I think it's way overdone.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Of course there's a supercut of all the Star Trek starships going to warp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1kkB_qF28

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Enterprise E had a pretty good one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, Star Wars ships going to hyperspace is good, but I always preferred when they arrived. Rogue One did a great job when the rebel fleet arrived above Scarif. I like the stutter as the fleet pops in.

It was well handled in the X Wing games, great tension to finish your objective near death and frantically close the S foils and mash the H key.

Watching the fleets in star wars popping in like popcorn is really fun. I also enjoy watching a fleet arrive in Sins of Solar Empire, especially when it's mine.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Sins, their in-game FTL effects were okay, but they looked really hot in the trailer for Rebellion

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So which is your preferred type of FTL? Instantaneous jumps or zooming from one place to another really fast?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Warp travel actually doesn't require a soul. The warp exists whether you have a soul or not but things without souls don't interact with the warp. But yeah the necrons don't explain themselves so who the hell knows how any if their poo poo actually works?

Even the Tau use part of the warp for space travel and they have no presence in it at all. They don't have psykers because they can't.

No explanation offered for why none of the other races in their commune can’t cover down.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: That being said, I still have no idea why hyperspace is red when you're in it, blue when you come out, and yellow when you go in.

The gate colors were probably chosen as a reference to the Doppler effect so that objects moving toward you (incoming gates) are blueshifted and away (outgoing) are redshifted. The color of hyperspace when actually inside always was weird to me but w/e.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'll tell you what effect I DIDN'T like:
The one they used for the SyFy Dune miniseries

Trash tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Alexander is a stupid name for a Klingon.

Um excuse me Alexander of Macedon conquered the known world before he was 20.

• Locked thread