Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

Wow, that's kind of a stretch.

Use a southern accent. Anjean YEEEHAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Use a southern accent. Anjean YEEEHAW

I suppose that does make sense if you lay it on real thick, yeah.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for Spirit Tracks to properly Spirit Track!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ThornBrain posted:

Time for Spirit Tracks to properly Spirit Track!

I'm pretty sure you just run from the bees and they eventually go away.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm going to catch some heat for this, but I can't stand PH or ST because of the controls.

On another note, does anyone know of a guide anywhere to 100%-ing Ages and Seasons? I'd like to play them on the 3DS Virtual Console, but despite some research I still don't understand how to transfer progress from one to another.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Beat game 1, the game will give you a password after the credits. Choose "Linked Game" when starting the second and put in said password

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to catch some heat for this, but I can't stand PH or ST because of the controls.

On another note, does anyone know of a guide anywhere to 100%-ing Ages and Seasons? I'd like to play them on the 3DS Virtual Console, but despite some research I still don't understand how to transfer progress from one to another.

Beat first game, get a code to start the second game with.
Talk to snake in first game, get password to give to snake in second game.
At various points in second game, somebody will give you a code to take to the first game. Head back to your cleared first game file and find the person. Usually after a minigame they will give you a reward and a code. Go to the second game and tell the oracle of secrets (they live in the tree) that code to get the reward in the second game too.
If the reward was a ring, do the snake thing again instead.

Was that what you needed?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We may have the train, but we can't kill anything with it. Let's fix that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Slamming on the brakes when you're going full speed is bad but if you slow down a but beforehand they won't raise a fuss.

ThornBrain posted:

We may have the train, but we can't kill anything with it. Let's fix that.

Y'know, now that you mention it, it is weird how the train takes damage whenever you run into things instead of it being the other way around.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
It makes me sad, but I can't play Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass or Skyward Sword due to the controls; they just frustrate me too much. I hope that all of them get remakes with more traditional controls.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

JustJeff88 posted:

It makes me sad, but I can't play Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass or Skyward Sword due to the controls; they just frustrate me too much. I hope that all of them get remakes with more traditional controls.
There are mods for the DS Zelda games that map the controls to more traditional Zelda-style button controls.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keene posted:

There are mods for the DS Zelda games that map the controls to more traditional Zelda-style button controls.

True. I have seen them, but portability is nice. I don't mind that they made those controls an option, but I am frustrated that they didn't make traditional controls one as well. As for Skyward Sword, my only hope would be to possibly get very creative with mapping in Dolphin. With few exceptions, I've always disliked motion controls. The only Wii game that I can recall where I felt that the motion controls added to the experience, or at least didn't detract, were some of the Wii sports games. I did have fun with the original boxing game that was packed into the system.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

With the first temple complete, it's time to get chilly.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Can you throw the Spirit Train in reverse and escape the Demon Trains, or is it just automatic game over if one winds up coming at you on the same track?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
You can reverse and try to escape, and you can slow them down a bit with the cannon. It's easier to avoid them altogether when you can though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they made teleporting so situational so that you can't just go 'oops gonna crash into a demon train lets warp out', though a better fix would be doing a Back to the Future/Earthbound style thing with requiring you to reach and maintain a high speed for a bit before it zooms you away.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Now I want to play this game just so I can spend all my time shooting at bunnies and trying to pick up the bodies to make an all new fur outfit for Toots.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Toots takes on the Ice Temple before we must sadly say goodbye to Skippy for the rest of the LP.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

ThornBrain posted:

Toots takes on the Ice Temple before we must sadly say goodbye to Skippy for the rest of the LP.

Farewell, Skippy! Keep on chuggin!

Also, this is a glass harmonica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEKlRUvk9zc

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's a small detail, but I like how when you use the boomerang to light the torches, any frozen grass it passes over thaws out.

I notice that while the mailman doesn't read your mail out loud any more, he still has been snooping. Ethics are surprisingly lacking in not-Hyrule.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it, the Lost Woods "puzzle" seems like it could really start to overstay its welcome, if they come up with an excuse to fall back on it every time for a lack of other options. Having the entire overworld accessible via preset railways only must really limit the kind of complications they can actually throw at you en route...

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Will he impotently stand up for us against demons? Not until you get his ring.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Some more light Phantom Hourglass nostalgia, pretty music, and mystical BS.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh cool, just caught this. Glad to have a chance to see Spirit Tracks again without actually playing it - the DS controls never actually bothered me much, but I tried to replay it once and was so turned off by the rail travel that I couldn't push through and never touched it again. A shame because my memory has it being a step up in dungeon design from Phantom Hourglass, especially without the repeated central dungeon - excited to see how it lives up to my recollection.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

All that ocean in Phantom Hourglass and we never got to properly go underneath it. Guess that's why.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Sunken Hyrule is now filled with... that. Okay then, good to know! D:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I remember now, the exact moment I quit when I tried to replay it :sweatdrop:

Something about combating armored tracking enemies on the predefined tracks took it from being a bad overworld idea to just not being something I wanted to deal with. A shame, because I like the dual-screen map and (like I'd remembered) the overall dungeoning seems like a step up with some fun ideas that I'd like to see again in newer games.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I remember now, the exact moment I quit when I tried to replay it :sweatdrop:

Something about combating armored tracking enemies on the predefined tracks took it from being a bad overworld idea to just not being something I wanted to deal with. A shame, because I like the dual-screen map and (like I'd remembered) the overall dungeoning seems like a step up with some fun ideas that I'd like to see again in newer games.

It's nowhere near as hard as it looks in the video. All you have to do is make a big clockwise loop without slowing down and messing with the tracks like they did. The first train won't catch up in time, and the second one will be on one of the upper right paths when you get there so you just take the other path.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 30, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

whitehelm posted:

It's nowhere near as hard as it looks in the video. All you have to do is make a big clockwise loop without slowing down and messing with the tracks like they did. The first train won't catch up in time, and the second one will be on one of the upper right paths when you get there so you just take the other path.

Nah, it's not super hard, it's more of a cumulative feeling of "why do I have to do this" when I just want to freely move from place to place in a series that is notable for its overworld design. Just screwing up and dying a couple times, and realizing that it's all thanks to a constraint that is completely at odds with the rest of the series, I just had enough :shrug:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ThornBrain posted:

There aren't any rabbits, obviously.
Now that just sounds like a missed opportunity

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I love Yoshi's reaction when the train turns around. "Hahah can you imagine if the developers thought of that-Oh my god."

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Hovering with cuccos not weird and barely-functioning enough for you? Spirit Tracks' birds have got you covered.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I love the whip and all, but good lord those birds were a weird idea

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

DIZZY. WHOA.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Our chunky buddies return with a new car for our train, and now we can truly engineer.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I thought we'd get new train parts way earlier than this. We had an entire Bermuda triangle's worth of ship parts at part twelve on the other game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

These two feel like they should've been flipped. It feels weird to be worried about the mountain being too steep after you've already gone underwater. :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Gotta haul rear end, rabbits, lumber, and whatever else will get me more rails to haul rear end over.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The idea of the teleport things is cool but I never could remember where they sent you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We go slippin' about for collectibles and the clothes we really want, and Ferrus gets the longest train ride of his life.