Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As for the traffic lights, I think I remember hearing about traffic lights that use a red/yellow/blue color scheme, due to certain forms of color blindness making it easy to confuse red and green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is a fun thread - I never got too far into either of these games, and honestly found Seasons harder than Ages.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Judging by the thread, some awfulness needs no introduction.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ThornBrain posted:

Judging by the thread, some awfulness needs no introduction.

Forum tagline!

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Young me must have spent days trying to figure out the order in getting stuff back on Crescent Island. "But I need the power bracelet to get here, and I need the feather to do that while I'm there! Argh, if only there were a way to get both!"

Also, I was terrible at timing when I was younger. That minigame was a nightmare.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I remember really enjoying this island as a kid, and while I'm more in line with the general consensus now, I do enjoy the concept of having to navigate an island to get your poo poo back by itself, even if the game's way of doing it is uh... not the best.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Eh, I kinda enjoy Crescent Island, it does run a bit longer than it needs to though. My main gripes with the game are later.

One of them being we don't get the best seed until way later in Ages vs. Seasons. Scent seeds are dumb.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

On Ricky the kangaroo - as far as I know, yes, she was intended to be female (male marsupials don't have the pouch for obvious reasons) even if the game tends to use male pronouns. I seem to remember reading that it's a translation/localisation issue and the name would have been more accurately romanised as Rikki.

I think the animal helpers were a cute idea that's underutilised in these games, but I'll wait to talk more about them because most of what I want to say involves things we haven't seen yet.

The raft sequence always drives me nuts in terms of map OCD, the areas it lets you explore look pretty awful on the map (whether you go out of your way to explore as much as possible or not) and you can't go back to fix it until much later.

That said... I actually like the Crescent Island sequence, I guess that's an unpopular opinion? It may be a bit frustrating to lose your items, but I like how this area forces you to recontextualise them and temporarily losing capabilities you take for granted in a game is a good way to make you appreciate them. I thought some of the puzzles were cleverish too, and having to decide which one(s) to bring out of shovel/feather/bracelet until you can get them all back allowed them to gate things in a way they wouldn't otherwise be able to. It's interesting, at least.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Crescent Island is a good idea not implemented very well with all the backtracking to swap out items (and you can never swap the feather and bracelet directly, you have to go through that whole sequence to get the shovel back and then swap to the other).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And then once you're through the whole thing there's a warp point in the present that dumps you back at the starting beach with no way to undo except go through it all over again.

E: go through the path and switching again, not the reclaiming gear.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 30, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cythereal posted:

(and you can never swap the feather and bracelet directly, you have to go through that whole sequence to get the shovel back and then swap to the other).

I guess that's to prevent sequence breaking, otherwise you could buy the feather with seeds, trade the it for the armband, and buy the feather again.

But yeah, in retrospect this island feels a bit tedious. But I am pretty sure I liked it as a kid. Getting your stuff back and finding ways to progress felt kinda satisfying, I guess.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, you get the shield in Link's Awakening, and it defaults to B. Then you get the sword and it defaults to A. How are you not using the sword with A? You are both weird, ThornBrain and MeccaPrime, I'm judging you!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Always Be Jumping With A (Except When Swimming)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
If the trading hut was more easily accessible from where you start the whole thing would be neat.

Since it's not it's kind of garbage. The backtracking alone stretches this section out to be unbearable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I also think the novelty value of losing all your items and needing to climb your way back is misused by having this sequence relatively early in the game. We're less than halfway through, IIRC, and I think the challenge and novelty would have been better served by putting a sequence like this near the end.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will hear nothing negative said about the animal friends in the oracle games

also crescent island sucked

and besides, everyone knows that the best npcs are the subrosians

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So tempted by this playthrough, I went and got both Seasons and Ages from the nintendo store and played through Seasons first since this thread's consensus is that is the proper way to play it.

I'm now around the 6th dungeon in Ages

This are my feelings after revisiting this games:

(BIG SPOILERS AHEAD)

While Seasons bosses are a bit more challenging (specially the final dungeon's mini boss, which is WAY harder than the final boss from that dungeon which is really weird) I felt that this game feels a lot more...lifeless? when compared to Ages.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my main beef is that in an unlinked game, you get a glimpse of Onox at the very beginning of the game and then you don't see him ever again until you fight him at the very end in his castle. Said castle being extremely short and anticlimatic when compared to the Black Tower in Ages.

But that was not the end of it. After dungeon 4 and getting the spirit of Autumn there is absolutely minimum to no break from burning through the dungeons. Hell, if you sequence break you can even do dungeon 5 before doing dungeon 4 because the only obstacle that stands in your way are 2 mushrooms (and with very hard sequence breaking you can even do dungeon 5 before dungeon 3). In between dungeon 5 - 8 the only sidequesting you have to do is find the 4 jewels, and find the captain's bell.

Meanwhile in Ages, dungeon 4 requires you to fix the Tuny Nut, dungeon 5 requires you to fight the Great Moblin (optional in Seasons on a non-linked game) and save the Goron Elder, has some minigames for Dungeon 6, after which you go rescue Nayru before dungeon 7, and Dungeon 7 has you cleaning the seas. Dungeon 7->8 there is little in your way, but then comes the Black Tower which is a really cool final dungeon, and the fight against Veran feels a lot more climatic.

Hell, even the Seeds play a major role in Ages vs Season (with the exception of Gale). In Ages the Ember, Mistery, Scent and Pegasus seeds have plot related importance , whereas in Seasons only the Ember seeds have a major role, while the role of the Mistery seed only comes to play much much later after you get them and are only necessary in 1 place, and the Scent seed lacks any use other than Slingshot fodder for bosses.

As plot centric NPCs go, Seasons has Rosa and the Subrosians, whereas Ages has Ralph, Ambi, the Elder Goron, King Zora and to a lesser degree the nightmare hide n' seek forest fairies

Because of all that I feel that either Ages was developed first and more leisurely whereas Season was potentially rushed due to deadlines/out of ideas, or Ages absorbing the Colors game benefitted it greatly in feeling more like a complete game

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 31, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I enjoy both games, but I believe Ages is the better game overall. It's a lot more involved. There's so much more depth to it than Seasons, on every front. But man, I wish they'd ended up with the trilogy.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sing me a song, you're the rabbit killer

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The point of the butterflies in the boss is that they drop seed ammo, ensuring you can't run out and be unable to hurt the boss.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think this dungeon might be why I find myself nostalgic for the rest of Crescent Island too. Best dungeon music, best dungeon item. One of the better bosses too.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Well hey, we got the best item in Ages! The Seed Shooter rules, plain and simple, and serves a lot in various fights and mingames from here.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Both games have a Good Item in them. The seed shooter is one, and I wish it got an upgrade like its counterpart in Seasons.

Then again, Seasons has its Good Item too.

Now if only we'd gotten a third game that allowed us to have both at the same time.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Wait, you get the shield in Link's Awakening, and it defaults to B. Then you get the sword and it defaults to A. How are you not using the sword with A? You are both weird, ThornBrain and MeccaPrime, I'm judging you!

I just moved into my new house and finally got internet back up and running as of an hour ago; my first post after a week's hiatus is to come back and say you're so wrong and I will die on this hill.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^e: Then prepare to die! I've already complained about the next thing you do wrong in this very post! :D

I'm surprised that everybody seems to always pick up the bombs. Throwing them after switches or enemies or far away blocks makes sense, but I usually just set them down next to a wall or block I want to break and wait for them to explode. Both in this and in Mecca's LP, bombs were always thrown, never just set down. Strange!

edit2: Also, gently caress Tokay. Subrosians or bust!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 3, 2018

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Thadius posted:

Both games have a Good Item in them. The seed shooter is one, and I wish it got an upgrade like its counterpart in Seasons.

Then again, Seasons has its Good Item too.

Now if only we'd gotten a third game that allowed us to have both at the same time.

I think I know what item you're talking about and if I could long jump across an entire room and 360 noscope a seed right at a smug wizrobe's face in the same game, it would be worth all of the Crescent Island bullshit.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

bladeworksmaster posted:

Well hey, we got the best item in Ages! The Seed Shooter rules, plain and simple, and serves a lot in various fights and mingames from here.

I gotta say this is one of the most creative aspects of the Oracle games simply because seeds that are usually used from the satchel can have a completely different effect when shot at an enemy. It's very "outside the box" to try that and I love it when it works.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Torrannor posted:

edit2: Also, gently caress Tokay. Subrosians or bust!

at least we can find some common ground

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Torrannor posted:

I'm surprised that everybody seems to always pick up the bombs. Throwing them after switches or enemies or far away blocks makes sense, but I usually just set them down next to a wall or block I want to break and wait for them to explode. Both in this and in Mecca's LP, bombs were always thrown, never just set down. Strange!

I'm reasonably sure that Link is carrying the bomb as soon as you hit the button in Ages and Seasons. Really messes you up if you go back to Link's Awakening, where Link places the bomb on the ground when you hit the button.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CPColin posted:

I'm reasonably sure that Link is carrying the bomb as soon as you hit the button in Ages and Seasons. Really messes you up if you go back to Link's Awakening, where Link places the bomb on the ground when you hit the button.

Now that you mention it, I dimly remember being annoyed about that when I played Ages and Seasons. I forgot :(

Can we vote which animal companion path McFly takes, or is this up to ThornBrain?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Can we vote which animal companion path McFly takes, or is this up to ThornBrain?

You *can* vote, but I'm pretty sure it's all been pre-recorded.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I wasn't even aware there was a choice with the animals. I played Seasons though and never had Ages, so I missed out on a lot regardless I guess.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

I wasn't even aware there was a choice with the animals. I played Seasons though and never had Ages, so I missed out on a lot regardless I guess.

This is one of the stupid things about the Oracle games. The animal choice is all about how you obtain a certain item. You can buy it, win it in a minigame, or not go out of your way to get it and wait for the plot to give it to you. Naturally few people would be aware you could get it in any way other than the latter, and if you do the other two things you won't know which animal you're getting anyways.

Not that it matters. The animals are a great concept with terrible execution: who uses them for anything other than the times they're required? All I can really say about them is don't take the bear unless you like to mash the buttons!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ephraim225 posted:

This is one of the stupid things about the Oracle games. The animal choice is all about how you obtain a certain item. You can buy it, win it in a minigame, or not go out of your way to get it and wait for the plot to give it to you. Naturally few people would be aware you could get it in any way other than the latter, and if you do the other two things you won't know which animal you're getting anyways.

Not that it matters. The animals are a great concept with terrible execution: who uses them for anything other than the times they're required? All I can really say about them is don't take the bear unless you like to mash the buttons!

The last buddy is the best and i used him all the time. Being able to defend yourself while swimming is so nice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate that they were willing to expand on the sprite set to do the animal companions. That looks like a decent amount of effort for the system.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ephraim225 posted:

The animals are a great concept with terrible execution

Yeah I agree with this. Like nearing the endgame of both games you are required to use everything you've gotten up to that point, so it would have been cool to also require you to call your animal companion for that segment.

I mean, I can see why they didn't do it, cause it would have required to code in 3 map layouts for each of the different companions, but I just wish they had.

That being said, my favorite companion is Dimitri cause in Seasons he can be useful outside of his segment by providing faster swimming than the Zora Flippers, and in Ages he stays relatively useful for traveling water masses at least till you get the Mermaid Suit

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 4, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Dimitri is the best because one is a fat, lazy, and boring, one is snarky as poo poo, rude, and hotheaded while Dimitri is a pure sweet cinnamon roll who I just wanna hug and give a mug of hot tea to and tell him not everyone is terrible and it gets better.

I LOVE MY DINOSAUR STEED SON

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 4, 2018

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Dimitri is cool because he's actively helpful in water areas, while Ricky is cool because he offers a superior way of traveling in general.

Moosh or whatever his name was is just terrible in every way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I remember that you can sort of break the puzzles with those roundabouts by abusing the miniboss teleporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i liked dimitri a lot in seasons but part of that was because i liked the sunken city area a lot for some reason