Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's awfully warm for this time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The default animal companion is actually different depending on which game you play first (and your choice carries over to the linked game, you don't get a do-over). I can never remember how it works, I always have to look it up.

In Ages, you get Dimitri from the shop as you showed, or Ricky as a minigame prize (from the batting game in past Lynna Village). If you get neither flute before reaching this area, you'll get stuck with Moosh (ugh, button mashing).

In Seasons, the shop has Moosh, Dimitri is the minigame prize (from Subrosian dancing), and you get Ricky by default on reaching the animal-specific area.

I usually end up picking Dimitri too.

I'm still not sure if I like this or not, mainly because it's never explained, so the player can't make an informed choice unless they look up a guide. On the other hand, it never really ends up mattering: there's one area in each game that changes depending on which animal you get, and outside of that and the very short introductory areas for each animal, you never need their abilities for anything and there's little reason to use them. I think there might be some minor areas you can access sooner depending on which one you have, but it never makes a huge difference. The animals were a cute idea, but they're really underused. I guess at least in theory it offers some incentive to replay the game with different ones?

Fun bonus: the animal flutes are also lethal to Pols Voices. It can actually matter in Seasons, since that game's gimmick item (unlike the Harp of Ages) doesn't make sound, and you encounter Pols Voices at a point before you are guaranteed to have a flute. It's a (minor) incentive to choose an animal other than Ricky in that game if you play it first (if you play Ages first I don't think you can have a flute then).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This entire sequence is so goddamn tedious. I always loathe it on replays. First a useless area full of holes (if you get the default animal, which I did), then an equally empty city. I got lost as well looking for the composer my first time, and then didn't understand that I had to play the song for him (it never TELLS you after you first get it that it's called the Song of Echoes so the hint was lost on me). That might colour my opinion, but still. The constant time changing with the song animations is annoying, and if you put the seed wrong or something it's the worst thing.

Then you gently caress up the minigame again and again (as a kid, but it's still not trivial). Just garbage.

At least the next dungeon has an awesome item and one of my favourite dungeon themes in the game :D.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Simply Simon posted:

This entire sequence is so goddamn tedious. I always loathe it on replays. First a useless area full of holes (if you get the default animal, which I did), then an equally empty city. I got lost as well looking for the composer my first time, and then didn't understand that I had to play the song for him (it never TELLS you after you first get it that it's called the Song of Echoes so the hint was lost on me). That might colour my opinion, but still. The constant time changing with the song animations is annoying, and if you put the seed wrong or something it's the worst thing.

I figured you had to play the song for him, but when I walked up right next to him I'd talk to him rather than play it (because I didn't turn around first) so I thought I had to go find something to help his hearing.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
The fact that you missed that secret is going to tear at me for ages.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just had a thought: We're so old :(

Kids growing up with Google probably can't imagine being stuck on a puzzle in games like this.

I remember being unable to progress in Final Fantasy Adventure (Mystic Quest in Europe), because I didn't understand what "follow the 8 by the palm trees" meant. I had to call my cousin a week later to get it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Kids growing up with Google probably can't imagine being stuck on a puzzle in games like this.

I remember being unable to progress in Final Fantasy Adventure (Mystic Quest in Europe), because I didn't understand what "follow the 8 by the palm trees" meant. I had to call my cousin a week later to get it.

...mine was last month.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

So, in order to get to Patch.

1. Go back in time
2. Go forward in time
3. Change the flow of water in the past go to the future, go back to the past.
4. Climb a dangerous wall with homing rocks.

How do people get things done in Labrynna?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Silegna posted:

How do people get things done in Labrynna?!

From what we've seen... they don't.

This place makes Hyrule seem sane and well run.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Cythereal posted:

From what we've seen... they don't.

This place makes Hyrule seem sane and well run.

Without Time Travel, literally nothing would get done. Also, we know Veran didn't do anything to Symmetry Village, so how the gently caress did it break?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Silegna posted:

Without Time Travel, literally nothing would get done. Also, we know Veran didn't do anything to Symmetry Village, so how the gently caress did it break?
It's a stupid, stupid place

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Silegna posted:

Someone took one step to the left and these are the consequences. Never again.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I didn't realize Tuni Nut was a palindrome after all these years until 5 seconds before MeccaPrime mentioned it :doh:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bellmaker posted:

I didn't realize Tuni Nut was a palindrome after all these years until 5 seconds before MeccaPrime mentioned it :doh:

It's not a palindrome in my language, so I have nothing to be ashamed of.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's not a palindrome in my language, so I have nothing to be ashamed of.
I too felt a little silly when I also got it seconds before Mecca explained it, then I looked it up to refresh my memory and it's just "Tuni-Gewinde" in German so yeaaaah

At least you won't be thinking of seeds...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
To be fair to some translations, apparently often times they were presented in big documents with zero context. And it seems that the other translations of these games were based on the English one, which results in the old telephone game because they're translating from a secondary source.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Torrannor posted:

Same game, but I got stuck (as a kid) on an Ice spell puzzle in Dark Lord's castle.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Late, but on the subject of animal buddies, Ricky was always my favorite. She made the cutest noises :3:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The guide I've read recommends Ricky for Ages as you get an items that basically renders poor Dimitri redundant.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

The guide I've read recommends Ricky for Ages as you get an items that basically renders poor Dimitri redundant.

Sure if you don't mind killing your d-pad for casual swimming. They're all cosmetic aside from [animal intro area you get redundant gear for later] and [area specific to which horn you have], so pick the one you like.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torrannor posted:

I could never find the fang to get that hint. I only passed that point when I replayed it on an emulator with a guide.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Silegna posted:

I thought the Tuni Nut broke because Ambi was building the Black Tower? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdY0Fbm7mg&t=1009s

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Torrannor posted:

I actually legit got stuck a couple of times in Link's Awakening, and I was lucky to find an older kid at my elementary school's playground who could give me the solution to the puzzle. The answer, incidentally, was to throw a pot at the sealed door, in the one and only time in the game where that worked.

In hindsight it reminds me a little of the one room in Ocarina of Time Master Quest where the puzzle solution is to hit a chest with your sword.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
By the way Thornbrain, do you plan on doing the Hero's Cave ?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Omnicrom posted:

I actually legit got stuck a couple of times in Link's Awakening, and I was lucky to find an older kid at my elementary school's playground who could give me the solution to the puzzle. The answer, incidentally, was to throw a pot at the sealed door, in the one and only time in the game where that worked.

Twice, actually. Once in the castle and once in Key Cavern. But you’re right about there being no hint for it at all

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Omnicrom posted:

In hindsight it reminds me a little of the one room in Ocarina of Time Master Quest where the puzzle solution is to hit a chest with your sword.

In Link's Awakening I got stuck in the 2nd dungeon I think? In the room where you have to kill the enemies in a specific order, but the hint you get calls them by their name ("kill the imprisoned pols voice first, last stalfos") which an 8-10 years old has no way of knowing since who reads the instruction booklets at that age. I eventually figured it out by order of elimination following the imprisoned part of the clue.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

lezard_valeth posted:

In Link's Awakening I got stuck in the 2nd dungeon I think? In the room where you have to kill the enemies in a specific order, but the hint you get calls them by their name ("kill the imprisoned pols voice first, last stalfos") which an 8-10 years old has no way of knowing since who reads the instruction booklets at that age. I eventually figured it out by order of elimination following the imprisoned part of the clue.

I always read the manuals. :sweatdrop: Buuuut thanks to the internet, looks like it wouldn't have mattered if you did, because the LA manual doesn't name a single enemy. So that puzzle was actually really bad, because it was depending on the knowledge you would have had from the first Zelda game's manual, which did list and depict all of them.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh god. For the longest time child-me literally just kept replaying Link's Awakening from the beginning to that point, because I had no idea what to do but still liked playing the game. That "puzzle" forced me to buy a guide for that game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
For me it was the first phase of the final boss. Magic Powder was my "gently caress it, why not?" moment.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

lezard_valeth posted:

By the way Thornbrain, do you plan on doing the Hero's Cave ?

Not in Ages, but I will in Seasons.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I too felt a little silly when I also got it seconds before Mecca explained it, then I looked it up to refresh my memory and it's just "Tuni-Gewinde" in German so yeaaaah

At least you won't be thinking of seeds...

What's up German(-speaking) buddy? :)

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 7, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Explopyro posted:

Oh god. For the longest time child-me literally just kept replaying Link's Awakening from the beginning to that point, because I had no idea what to do but still liked playing the game. That "puzzle" forced me to buy a guide for that game.

:same: Except I didn't buy a guide and sat there unable to progress for what felt like years. I have no idea how I eventually figured that puzzle out.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ThornBrain posted:

Not in Ages, but I will in Seasons.

Ah that's too bad, cause the Age's one is specially masochistic towards the end and would have liked to see how you and mecca reacted to it.

Specially the 2nd to last puzzle, where you have to push a colored block around lava that you solidify for a short while. If the block falls to the lava you have to reset the whole thing, and if YOU fall to the lava you respawn on the teleport that sends you back a room. BIG. DICK MOVE.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Ah that's too bad, cause the Age's one is specially masochistic towards the end and would have liked to see how you and mecca reacted to it.

Specially the 2nd to last puzzle, where you have to push a colored block around lava that you solidify for a short while. If the block falls to the lava you have to reset the whole thing, and if YOU fall to the lava you respawn on the teleport that sends you back a room. BIG. DICK MOVE.

I mean, if you really want to see the Ages Hero's Cave, I did it in my LP of the games, but you won't get Thorn's reaction. I will tell you, though, from commenting with him on this game, it would likely be one of high contempt while I picked on him (in jest) for being bad at an otherwise obtuse or tedious puzzle.

Also we would probably make more good bad jokes.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

They weren't named in the manual either. I got past that bit because I remembered someone having written in to the local Nintendo magazine to ask about that specific puzzle.
(didn't help that my English was pretty bad at the time and I had no idea what words like "imprisoned" meant, either)

I did get stuck on that dumb monkey that wants bananas, though. I failed to realize the Yoshi doll in the Trendy Game was an actual item you could pick up, thinking it was just a decoration. Thankfully another kid a friend knew had the game and I was able to get the answer from him.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 9, 2018

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

In the German translation (at least for the DX version), the hint was straight-up changed to "the imprisoned rabbit first, the skeleton warrior last". It still took me a while to figure out what it referred to, but I felt pretty smart when I did :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The minigame to restore the nut becomes downright devious for restoring the L3 sword.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

In the German translation (at least for the DX version), the hint was straight-up changed to "the imprisoned rabbit first, the skeleton warrior last". It still took me a while to figure out what it referred to, but I felt pretty smart when I did :v:

I'm pretty sure, I beat the whole game by an extensive amount of brute forcing everything and smearing power on stuff at random. When I was a kid, I wasn't really eager to read any of the text either.

I really need to watch a LP of that game at some point. Back when MeccaPrime did it, it may have been somewhat confusing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zedd posted:

The minigame to restore the nut becomes downright devious for restoring the L3 sword.

Nah, the trick for that minigame is to run a circle around them to group them up nice and tidy, stand on the button and keep repelling them with your sword till the cart goes by, then push them all at once down a hole. Repeat with the respawns and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

lezard_valeth posted:

Nah, the trick for that minigame is to run a circle around them to group them up nice and tidy, stand on the button and keep repelling them with your sword till the cart goes by, then push them all at once down a hole. Repeat with the respawns and done.
While you are right, that's not how 14 y/o me experienced it . :v: