Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Senerio posted:

I'm reminded of a quote from a podcast I listen to: The first rule of Time Travel: Don't think about Time Travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

i mean i'm ok with the color scheme and even the green nails but explain those awful blooming ankle... things on his pants

The bell bottoms? They're quite stylish, he's simply from a different time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Turns out these have been sitting on my 3DS virtual console since *checks savestate date* 2013. So I'll give them another go.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Explopyro posted:

I loved these games, always good to see another LP of them. They're not very innovative in the context of the rest of the series, but they didn't need to be, they're solid games and anyone who likes Zelda (and especially Link's Awakening) will like them. It strikes me as a very Capcom style of game design, rather like so many Megaman games blatantly being "new levels, new weapons, excuse plot. Have fun!".

Depends how you define innovation, really. They have interesting variations on old tools, and they make use of those differences between the games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think "iteration" is the word we were both looking for. They didn't reinvent things like a lot of Zelda games that come out (though for many big platform changes there's a Majora's Mask or something), but they did a great job of building on what was there instead of just a rehash.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Senerio posted:

Or a building in the center to block that Ring or Heart Piece so she can get it first.

I just saw a heart piece fall into a hole.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Oh my God they're called Gasha seeds because the trees spit out gatcha capsules gently caress

How did I not know the term "gatcha" when I was a kid?

I never learned the term until mobile games. I thought it was this bit of esoteric knowledge until I told someone and they were all "yeah everyone knows what gatcha is. Where have you been?"

In unrelated news, I forgot how quickly these games play (and how much free time I had on my hands). Both Ages and Seasons cleared in a couple of days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

General Revil posted:

I remember row of those gacha machines at the exit of practically every supermarket (late 90s, early 2000s, southern California). They were 25-50 cent machines, and gave you a little capsule with a cheap toy in it. Although I never knew they were Gatcha machines until I found out about Gatcha from mobile games.

We didn't call them gacha, is the thing. We called them capsule machines.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MeccaPrime posted:

after recording this episode, I blacked out for a couple days and forgot who I was

I tried to walk to the park and got lost navigating streets. Barely managed to find my way back home. I'm not leaving again until the music stops.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Puzzles" translated more to "busywork" and "you'd better not hop off that ledge or you'll have to do the whole dungeon alllllll over again."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

gently caress now I want to play these games again. Aren't they on the 3DS eShop, and if so do they make the password passing between titles easy if you have both downloaded or am I still going to have to write them down?

They are on there, and there's no password simplification.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

At least you're not dealing with the 10-page monster that the first two Golden Sun games required if you wanted to import everything.

yeah, and aside from the 20-digit initial code and 15-digit ring ones, the 3DS easy quick-swap between games meant I could memorize the 5-digit ones long enough to switch over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ThornBrain posted:

Judging by the thread, some awfulness needs no introduction.

Forum tagline!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And then once you're through the whole thing there's a warp point in the present that dumps you back at the starting beach with no way to undo except go through it all over again.

E: go through the path and switching again, not the reclaiming gear.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 30, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Can we vote which animal companion path McFly takes, or is this up to ThornBrain?

You *can* vote, but I'm pretty sure it's all been pre-recorded.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

This entire sequence is so goddamn tedious. I always loathe it on replays. First a useless area full of holes (if you get the default animal, which I did), then an equally empty city. I got lost as well looking for the composer my first time, and then didn't understand that I had to play the song for him (it never TELLS you after you first get it that it's called the Song of Echoes so the hint was lost on me). That might colour my opinion, but still. The constant time changing with the song animations is annoying, and if you put the seed wrong or something it's the worst thing.

I figured you had to play the song for him, but when I walked up right next to him I'd talk to him rather than play it (because I didn't turn around first) so I thought I had to go find something to help his hearing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I just had a thought: We're so old :(

Kids growing up with Google probably can't imagine being stuck on a puzzle in games like this.

I remember being unable to progress in Final Fantasy Adventure (Mystic Quest in Europe), because I didn't understand what "follow the 8 by the palm trees" meant. I had to call my cousin a week later to get it.

...mine was last month.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Silegna posted:

Without Time Travel, literally nothing would get done. Also, we know Veran didn't do anything to Symmetry Village, so how the gently caress did it break?

Someone took one step to the left and these are the consequences. Never again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

The guide I've read recommends Ricky for Ages as you get an items that basically renders poor Dimitri redundant.

Sure if you don't mind killing your d-pad for casual swimming. They're all cosmetic aside from [animal intro area you get redundant gear for later] and [area specific to which horn you have], so pick the one you like.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Silegna posted:

So, 2 questions

1. How is Maple time travelling?

2. If we are using Back to the future rules, why did Symmetry City need to be fixed when bombing level 2 is why it collapsed in the future?

1. first time you encounter in the past she says she got sucked into a weird portal.

2. We're not using BttF rules, we're using Oracle of Ages rules: time does whatever the gently caress it needs to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Any time you see people in the future talking about some kid doing stuff before Link's done it, just assume it was Ralph originally.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Ha ha, a Zelda game with a competent female character is unthinkable enough. Now you're suggesting a Zelda game with a female protagonist? In your dreams (and mine).

Urbosa. Sure she got deaded before you show up, but she was awesome while she lived.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Note that to reach the boss you use sword, bomb, seed, and glove to reach the door. Which is the same order to use things to fight the boss itself.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That screen just east of the first dungeon may have water, but it's far from the worst Maple spot. She can appear on the Ring Shop screen. The one with a big building covering most of it, that is the only place you can go if you use a seed to warp to town.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

senrath posted:

It's actually not quite how you get Dimitri's flute, because that would be simple. No, what you have to do is win the dancing game six times. The prizes are, in order: boomerang, 50 ore, gasha seed, 50 ore, 50 ore, Dmitri's flute.

Having done Seasons on 3ds with savestates, I can confirm that's not true. Boomerang is first, avter that is a random prize pool with the flute in it. Got it on my third go after going seven without and reloading.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Huh, I donno then.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SorataYuy posted:

Huh. So basically they just restored it to how things were way back in the late 90s, when Link to the Past and Link's Awakening Link were the same Link, who supposedly later also went to Holodrum and such. And I blame the timeline on the fanbase, trying to make everything fit "perfectly" and all of it having to be the same universe.

I didn't know it was anything else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A trick for that boomerang puzzle: when it hits something it returns right to you, but can still hit things along the way. So instead of throwing the curve you can throw it straight along the bottom then curve it up into the wall. Not as useful here (both the methots are a bit tricky, it's just which one the player can do better), but this trivializes a couple of boomerang puzzles later on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Anyone who says they don’t use the Roc’s Cape to fly around all of Holodrum is a loving liar and they’re going to hell

What's fun is there are a couple of holes up north which are intended for the cape but can just barely be lept with pegasus seeds, the feather, and the game being forgiving with how much of you needs to land outside a pit to not fall in. The downside is that when you try to go back there's a ball and chain guy who hangs out right on the other side of the pit, so you have to make a pixel-perfect jump while avoiding being bodied by the guy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Remember how I mentioned the boomerang doesn't care about walls when it comes back to you? That can help on the first puzzle here to hit some of the far back switches, and on the second one you just stand below that twisty passage, throw it right and curve up, and hit the wall on the opposite side of the switch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One of the linked game rings you get prevents slipping on ice. Makes quite a difference here.

lezard_valeth posted:

Can someone remind me why you can't juse Pegasus Seed + Roc's Feather into the last dungeon right after the 5th dungeon? Cause it looks like the only item you absolutely must have is the magnetic gloves

At 10:40, I don't believe seeds+feather can go three spaces in the 2D plane.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I knew from Nintendo Power.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I finally parsed that owl comment. It's not bears the animal.
"Sea carries foam, sleep carries dreams, both crash to pieces at the end."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

According to Wiki it just alternates between 28 and 42 with an occasional 7-rupee discount because Tracy is crazy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Explopyro posted:

This makes so much sense. For the longest time I thought it was randomised on a per-cartridge basis, because I got that pattern on my first playthrough by chance and on later ones I just continued using it without checking the book, and that worked.

It's a major speedrun thing. Knowing that cuts out having to do most (maybe all, I can't recall what else is skippable) of the trading game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I kinda cheated at the mic use in this and Spirit Tracks. I tended to play in bed and I use use a CPAP machine so I'd just hold it over the exhaust vent. No need to worry about running out of breath (more an issue in Spirit Tracks which has some hold puzzles) or anything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You noticed the Hero's trident. Perhaps we should call it... a triumph fork?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I think everyone goes through that stage of "No, this can't be what they want you do to. No it can't loving be..." on that map puzzle. Either that or "I can't solve this." *puts DS down in sleep mode, opens it an hour or day later* "Wait, what? GOD loving DAMNIT!"

I didn't because I played Trace Memory, a visual novel-style game that had this exact puzzle. Another one I quite enjoyed put some lines on the top screen, some on the bottom, and you had to close the DS just enough to reflect one screen off the other and read the result.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I half expected the treasure chest after the boss to be "You got Tetra!"

Forget the Triforce, we've got the Tetraforce! What, you don't see the force bit?

*drops her on enemies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to catch some heat for this, but I can't stand PH or ST because of the controls.

On another note, does anyone know of a guide anywhere to 100%-ing Ages and Seasons? I'd like to play them on the 3DS Virtual Console, but despite some research I still don't understand how to transfer progress from one to another.

Beat first game, get a code to start the second game with.
Talk to snake in first game, get password to give to snake in second game.
At various points in second game, somebody will give you a code to take to the first game. Head back to your cleared first game file and find the person. Usually after a minigame they will give you a reward and a code. Go to the second game and tell the oracle of secrets (they live in the tree) that code to get the reward in the second game too.
If the reward was a ring, do the snake thing again instead.

Was that what you needed?