Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh cool, just caught this. Glad to have a chance to see Spirit Tracks again without actually playing it - the DS controls never actually bothered me much, but I tried to replay it once and was so turned off by the rail travel that I couldn't push through and never touched it again. A shame because my memory has it being a step up in dungeon design from Phantom Hourglass, especially without the repeated central dungeon - excited to see how it lives up to my recollection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I remember now, the exact moment I quit when I tried to replay it :sweatdrop:

Something about combating armored tracking enemies on the predefined tracks took it from being a bad overworld idea to just not being something I wanted to deal with. A shame, because I like the dual-screen map and (like I'd remembered) the overall dungeoning seems like a step up with some fun ideas that I'd like to see again in newer games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

whitehelm posted:

It's nowhere near as hard as it looks in the video. All you have to do is make a big clockwise loop without slowing down and messing with the tracks like they did. The first train won't catch up in time, and the second one will be on one of the upper right paths when you get there so you just take the other path.

Nah, it's not super hard, it's more of a cumulative feeling of "why do I have to do this" when I just want to freely move from place to place in a series that is notable for its overworld design. Just screwing up and dying a couple times, and realizing that it's all thanks to a constraint that is completely at odds with the rest of the series, I just had enough :shrug: