Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh, neat. Oracle of Ages is the only 2D Zelda game I've ever played, and boy did I waste a lot of hours on it as a kid. Never did beat it, though, not because of puzzles but because I kept getting my rear end kicked in the final dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Seasons does not have that loving island with the tokay, and so is the superior game in my opinion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bruceski posted:

"Puzzles" translated more to "busywork" and "you'd better not hop off that ledge or you'll have to do the whole dungeon alllllll over again."

And for me as a kid, "Jesus Christ I hate these color block pushing puzzles."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Crescent Island is a good idea not implemented very well with all the backtracking to swap out items (and you can never swap the feather and bracelet directly, you have to go through that whole sequence to get the shovel back and then swap to the other).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I also think the novelty value of losing all your items and needing to climb your way back is misused by having this sequence relatively early in the game. We're less than halfway through, IIRC, and I think the challenge and novelty would have been better served by putting a sequence like this near the end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The point of the butterflies in the boss is that they drop seed ammo, ensuring you can't run out and be unable to hurt the boss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Silegna posted:

How do people get things done in Labrynna?!

From what we've seen... they don't.

This place makes Hyrule seem sane and well run.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is Zelda so I just assumed it was a witch in the past and her identical, identically named descendant because that's how this series seems to work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And as a further mark against the Cane, anytime you think you see a clever use for it in the future to make your life easier, it simply won't work. It's there for specific puzzles that call for it, nothing more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the mermaid suit was always kind of a weird item. on the surface, 'thing that makes you swim different and be able to 'dive'(phase into another layer that functions roughly the same) in specific spots' doesn't sound too exciting

which is because it's not, really. as a dungeon item it kind of sucks.

Better than the cane, imo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I think I’m in the minority because I liked the Cane of Somaria’s return. It’s a cool item that was hardly touched in Link to the Past

It's hardly touched in this game, and I never played Link to the Past. It's another way to hold down a switch, and very rarely a way to create a platform in the side-view sections.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Incidentally, I learned as a kid when having a lot of trouble with upgrading the sword, you can't use the cane to just summon a block to hold down the switch. The cane will just fizzle.

So it's not lost at the bottom of the last page:

ThornBrain posted:

Time to save Ralph's friend so he'll finally shut up.
We hope.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Silegna posted:

Why does the Cane even exist.

To solve very specific puzzles that involve holding down switches without any of the other tools also used to solve puzzles that involve holding down switches. And sometimes to make a stepping stone in the side-view sections.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EponymousMrYar posted:

"Oh no, Ambi was smart enough to bodysnatch Link! Ralph, no offense but I know you well enough that you probably just faffed about yelling my name while trying to rescue me. Sit down, shut up and give me your sword. It's time I return the favor." :getin:

Ha ha, a Zelda game with a competent female character is unthinkable enough. Now you're suggesting a Zelda game with a female protagonist? In your dreams (and mine).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I enjoyed the one in twilight princess. It had a fun variation on the rising water level gimmick.

I liked the Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword, if you want to consider that a water dungeon.

I think in general, though, games not designed from the outset for underwater travel and gameplay tend to suffer when adding underwater areas to otherwise land-based games.

It's a shame, I love underwater stuff in games and it's a sorely underused environment and setting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My only real complaints about the Oracle games are pretty standard ones for Zelda: all the female characters are useless and every seemingly original and interesting plot quickly turns back into Ganondorf.

As one of the three Zelda games I've actually played, I put Oracle of Ages as the middle one in terms of quality. Fun, but uneven, and little kid me was not mentally equipped to figure out a lot of these puzzles on my own. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Senerio posted:

Hell, Nayru did more good than Ralph did. And she was possessed for the first half of the game.

It's okay, you can call her what she is: a damsel in distress who needs rescuing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BioEnchanted posted:

Seasons I feel has more impact nowadays because Ages deals with pure scifi/hard fantasy in time travel but we are actually living "Winter going straight into summer" and other things - our seasons are out of whack due to environmental factors, so we are directly seeing the theoretical damage Onox would be doing.

Although it is kind of funny if you're like me and are from and live in a place that's never had the four seasons to begin with, just a slightly cooler dry season and a slightly warmer rainy season, and "spring" and "fall" are purely arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You'd want to burn the world down, too, after reincarnating so many loving times to save the world from the same old bad guy.