Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Personally I prefered Ages mostly because the villain is more involved in the plot whereas Season's villain only shows up at the beginning and at the end

Things Ages has in favor for it:

- Characters
- Plot, specially because it breaks out of collect 8 macguffins to have you do other plot centric stuff
- The past-present mechanic (I'm always a dork for these cause I like seeing how my actions have consequences on the world)

Things Ages has against it:

- The excessive sidequests inbetween collecting the 8 macguffins
- Too easy making some dungeon bosses forgetable. I only remember like 3 (the 2nd, the 5th and the 8th dungeon) of them and mostly due to their unique gimmicks
- THAT drat dungeon (you know which one I'm talking about)

Things Seasons has going for it:

- Challenging in a fun not hard way
- Locations

Things Seasons has against it:

- Too linear
- Bad villain

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So tempted by this playthrough, I went and got both Seasons and Ages from the nintendo store and played through Seasons first since this thread's consensus is that is the proper way to play it.

I'm now around the 6th dungeon in Ages

This are my feelings after revisiting this games:

(BIG SPOILERS AHEAD)

While Seasons bosses are a bit more challenging (specially the final dungeon's mini boss, which is WAY harder than the final boss from that dungeon which is really weird) I felt that this game feels a lot more...lifeless? when compared to Ages.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my main beef is that in an unlinked game, you get a glimpse of Onox at the very beginning of the game and then you don't see him ever again until you fight him at the very end in his castle. Said castle being extremely short and anticlimatic when compared to the Black Tower in Ages.

But that was not the end of it. After dungeon 4 and getting the spirit of Autumn there is absolutely minimum to no break from burning through the dungeons. Hell, if you sequence break you can even do dungeon 5 before doing dungeon 4 because the only obstacle that stands in your way are 2 mushrooms (and with very hard sequence breaking you can even do dungeon 5 before dungeon 3). In between dungeon 5 - 8 the only sidequesting you have to do is find the 4 jewels, and find the captain's bell.

Meanwhile in Ages, dungeon 4 requires you to fix the Tuny Nut, dungeon 5 requires you to fight the Great Moblin (optional in Seasons on a non-linked game) and save the Goron Elder, has some minigames for Dungeon 6, after which you go rescue Nayru before dungeon 7, and Dungeon 7 has you cleaning the seas. Dungeon 7->8 there is little in your way, but then comes the Black Tower which is a really cool final dungeon, and the fight against Veran feels a lot more climatic.

Hell, even the Seeds play a major role in Ages vs Season (with the exception of Gale). In Ages the Ember, Mistery, Scent and Pegasus seeds have plot related importance , whereas in Seasons only the Ember seeds have a major role, while the role of the Mistery seed only comes to play much much later after you get them and are only necessary in 1 place, and the Scent seed lacks any use other than Slingshot fodder for bosses.

As plot centric NPCs go, Seasons has Rosa and the Subrosians, whereas Ages has Ralph, Ambi, the Elder Goron, King Zora and to a lesser degree the nightmare hide n' seek forest fairies

Because of all that I feel that either Ages was developed first and more leisurely whereas Season was potentially rushed due to deadlines/out of ideas, or Ages absorbing the Colors game benefitted it greatly in feeling more like a complete game

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 31, 2018

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ephraim225 posted:

The animals are a great concept with terrible execution

Yeah I agree with this. Like nearing the endgame of both games you are required to use everything you've gotten up to that point, so it would have been cool to also require you to call your animal companion for that segment.

I mean, I can see why they didn't do it, cause it would have required to code in 3 map layouts for each of the different companions, but I just wish they had.

That being said, my favorite companion is Dimitri cause in Seasons he can be useful outside of his segment by providing faster swimming than the Zora Flippers, and in Ages he stays relatively useful for traveling water masses at least till you get the Mermaid Suit

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 4, 2018

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
By the way Thornbrain, do you plan on doing the Hero's Cave ?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Omnicrom posted:

I actually legit got stuck a couple of times in Link's Awakening, and I was lucky to find an older kid at my elementary school's playground who could give me the solution to the puzzle. The answer, incidentally, was to throw a pot at the sealed door, in the one and only time in the game where that worked.

In hindsight it reminds me a little of the one room in Ocarina of Time Master Quest where the puzzle solution is to hit a chest with your sword.

In Link's Awakening I got stuck in the 2nd dungeon I think? In the room where you have to kill the enemies in a specific order, but the hint you get calls them by their name ("kill the imprisoned pols voice first, last stalfos") which an 8-10 years old has no way of knowing since who reads the instruction booklets at that age. I eventually figured it out by order of elimination following the imprisoned part of the clue.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ThornBrain posted:

Not in Ages, but I will in Seasons.

Ah that's too bad, cause the Age's one is specially masochistic towards the end and would have liked to see how you and mecca reacted to it.

Specially the 2nd to last puzzle, where you have to push a colored block around lava that you solidify for a short while. If the block falls to the lava you have to reset the whole thing, and if YOU fall to the lava you respawn on the teleport that sends you back a room. BIG. DICK MOVE.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zedd posted:

The minigame to restore the nut becomes downright devious for restoring the L3 sword.

Nah, the trick for that minigame is to run a circle around them to group them up nice and tidy, stand on the button and keep repelling them with your sword till the cart goes by, then push them all at once down a hole. Repeat with the respawns and done.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The good thing about the Skull Dungeon is that it's pretty linear. You first follow one path till you can't progress anymore, then you go the other path till you hit another roadbloack and have to explore the branching paths to get the Switch Hook/Keys to progress through the main path and so on.

The next dungeon on the other hand is a bunch of paths and stairs that loop around each other, progressing on one path till you can't progress anymore, then backtracking all the way to the beginning of the dungeon and taking another set of stairs till you can't progress anymore and have to backtrack to the first set of stairs, over and over till you arrive at the boss room and find out you missed 1 small key somewhere, so you back track to the lone treasure chest that remains unopened only to find out it's the Treasure Map you never picked up and the small key you are missing is one of those "falls from the sky reward" that don't show up on the map so you have to backtrack through all the rooms till you find it. At least the boss is fun.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zedd posted:

Ages was one of my fav games, but I played linked seasons later (like you are planning) and I honestly think ages should be 2nd.

No matter where you put Ages in your playthrough, it will always feel more adecquately placed than Seasons just because the game feels a lot more complete.

Play Ages first? Season has you following the conclusion of Queen Ambi's plot, while the Flame of Destruction get's lit halfway through the game and Zelda kidnapped right before the final dungeon

Play Ages second? The villain feels a lot more involved, which completely fits seeing as how they are closer to completing their plans, going as far as sending Vire to attempt to kidnap Zelda earlier

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Explopyro posted:

Thorn, I think you were sort of sequence-breaking here, the room with invisible floors is meant to be navigated after you have the Cane of Somaria. You can use the block the same way you were using the seeds, and/or push it along the platform, to identify where the floor is. The game probably intends you to get one of the other keys first, though off the top of my head I don't remember which one. I seem to remember this gimmick showing up again later in the game, also?

I mean they probably did, but I've always solved that puzzle by dropping seeds too.

Silegna posted:

Oh joy. We're going into my favorite part of the game.. I hate rolling ridge. So much. I stalled out on this next area so badly.

I've replayed both games recently and I think I know the part you hate the most, but it was not as bad as I remembered. That being said, the Platinum and Gold challenges are REALLY bullshit. Fortunately the rewards are really worth it

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm remembering that i enjoyed seasons's item list more and the cane being so incredibly specific in its use being part of why the toolbox in ages didn't wow me. not that both games don't have a couple questionably useful upgrades, but the ones in seasons tended to feel more multi-purpose and not solely 'weirdly utilized key to solving this specific brand of puzzle'

also the crown dungeon really sucked

I think the problem is that Ages gets 2 puzzle specific items: the Cane of Somaria and the Switch Hook 3 if you count the upgrade to the Switch Hook, and 4 if you count the Power Gauntlet which is only mildly used in the same dungeon you acquired and never again after it

Seasons I feel doesn't get as many items as Ages does since the 1st dungeon item's spot is taken over by the Seed Satchel that you get for free in Ages but at least the item upgrades you get are REALLY good, whereas Ages upgrades are REALLY terrible.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I like the next dungeon a lot,

I mean it just makes sense to have you traveling between a past and present version of the dungeon in the time travelling game, but I think it would have worked a lot better as the final dungeon's gimmick

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Aren't you able to complete the trading quest at this point? Or is there a step that I missed?

You can complete the trading quest as soon as dungeon four once you get the Switch Hook.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I also prefered this dungeon to the next one.

The next dungeon is completely forgettable. I don't know whether it's the weak gimmick or the fact that it comes right before one of the best parts in the game, but on my recent playthrough I managed to mostly remember my way around all the other dungeons after like 12 years since the last time I played it, except for the last one in Ages.

All other dungeons (sans the first which can be excused by the fact of being the first) have at list something memorable. 2nd dungeon has the roulette boss. 3rd dungeon has best item. 4th dungeon is inside a volcano. 5th dungeon is a complete mess to navigate but has a nice gimmick boss. 6th dungeon has the time travel stuff. 7th dungeon is the water temple.

The last dungeon is just :flaccid:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Can someone remind me why you can't juse Pegasus Seed + Roc's Feather into the last dungeon right after the 5th dungeon? Cause it looks like the only item you absolutely must have is the magnetic gloves

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Regarding the eye puzzle, there is a "slight" hint that the Maku Tree gives you IF you exit Twinrova's temple, which of course very few kids would do that since the game's been building a sense of urgency for this last part so most would just boss rush till the end.

Also I appreciate they tried to recreate the Twinrova fight for the portable games, but boy was it the most annoying fight in the game. Sometimes I get lucky and get the 3 hits in under 2 minutes, sometimes I keep flailing orbs all over the place and not hitting any

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Omnicrom posted:

Meanwhile if you have the wooden sword I believe I read once it takes some 50 spin attacks to put him down without a ring.

Not 50, but it does take a long while. My young self who sucked at english got stuck figuring out who to give the Stink Bag to in Oracle of Ages and thus ended up fighting through the whole game with the Wooden Sword only (and of course despite the game always telling you "Rings do nothing unless worn" I never realised you have to actually equip them in the menu and thought you only had to slot them in the ring box). It did make Veran's fight more interesting since it gave her enough time to cycle through all her forms, and Ganon did appropiately feel like a final boss.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
It's really weird cause Seasons->Ages does very little use of the Linked Game cameos with Rosa only showing up once (and in the past for some reason) with little plot relevance and then just hanging around the dancing Gorons, whereas Ages->Seasons at least brings resolution to the Captain & Ambi love story.

Plus Linked Ages has 2 flames lit right up one after the other in rapid succesion, whereas Linked Season has the Destruction flame lit sometime around the 5th dungeon.

I hope someday they rerelease this games and expand the storyline (and maybe hopefully include the 3rd game, though unlikely)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Explopyro posted:

I have a few embarrassing stories about this game, too, which I may share later; I genuinely couldn't beat it without a guide back then (you may well guess which puzzle I got stuck on) and for the longest time before getting one I'd just replay the game up to the point I was stuck and then start over, again and again...

If it's the 2nd dungeon's puzzle, there is nothing to be ashamed of. We all got stuck in that dumb puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Since the Link's Awakening LP is finished I can finally post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKFWGw9jMA

Whoever did this rendition of Ballad of the Wind Fish did a really good job. It instantly brought back into my memory the ending sequence with everyone vanishing, and it had been like 10 years since I had played the game.