Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, Oracle of Ages. I never owned Seasons as a kid, so I never got to do the link shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As for the traffic lights, I think I remember hearing about traffic lights that use a red/yellow/blue color scheme, due to certain forms of color blindness making it easy to confuse red and green.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kerning Chameleon posted:

At least this time wasn't really a paradox, in that we can assume they merely got seeds to grow from the bomb flower, a descendant of which eventually became the bomb flower we receive.
Maybe they didn't need to "get seeds to grow" at all; perhaps the fact that Bomb Flowers explode is a way for the plant to disperse its seeds...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only minigame I really hated in Ages was the friggin' "baseball" one, because the game took your swing as a loose suggestion as to where to send the ball. I never felt like I had any control at all. gently caress that game.

All the rest were fine, although the Tuni Nut repair minigame was frustrating until I looked up how to do it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

King Zora seems in pretty good shape for a 400+ year old fish. I guess this is the game that establishes that Zoras have long lifespans, and the bit in Breath of the Wild is a callback to this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Peahats are the helicopter guys. The enemies driving you crazy in the desert were Leevers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure the Zelda design in this game is supposed to be based off of the Link to the Past Zelda, because this is supposed to be the continued adventures of that Link IIRC.

Also Link gets a kiss from Zelda in the ending to Zelda 2, IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hyrule Warriors has a reference to this game; the third-tier Gauntlet weapon for Link has a Chain Chomp skin. Couple that with the Classic skin for Link, and it looks like he did keep BowWow, after all!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I definitely remember running afoul of a glitch pertaining to a sidequest involving a chain of Kinstone fusions in my playthrough of this game. I don't think any are intentionally missable, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't want to talk about it too much because spoilers, but suffice to say I'm playing on a USA version, actually as a 3DS Ambassador game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think that the Gust Jar can also put out fires, although I'm not 100% certain.

I'm kind of in agreement with Mecca on the Cane of Pacci. It's a neat item that gets used fairly creatively, but it mostly exists to solve puzzles and its few utility uses seem somewhat contrived. It is pretty useful against the rock/bush bug things, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He's talking to a kid who had a problem with the concept of, "I don't have any legs, can you walk a bit slower?" Maybe he thinks dumbing things down a bit is justified.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd consider it more useful than the cane of somaria from oracle of ages, which purely did just exist for relatively boring puzzles and didn't have anything interesting going for it
There are definitely worse offenders (*cough*Spinner*cough*), but the Cane of Pacci is definitely an item designed for puzzles first and utility second.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 8, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll give Ezlo a pass on reading the inscription in the sanctuary, because it's old and he may have needed to translate it. And what better use for a Lilliputian duck hat wizard than translating ancient text?

As for the sentience of the duplicates created by the Picori Sword, well...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure that's intended, actually.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I forget, was Dumple Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword? I remember PizzaJoe being Majora's Mask (and later Wind Waker HD). I guess I need to go back and re-watch the old SHN LPs. Still waiting on TP HD, Thorn! :argh:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GunnerJ posted:

Why does Malon have a little chime every time you talk to her?
It's the first three notes of Epona's Song.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Torrannor posted:

"You get nothing for saving him from possession now" - gets 100 mysterious seashells

Have to agree that the Minish existing to serve humans is strange and off-putting. But I love the amount of work the devs spent on making all those Minish towns and communities. It feels like said Minish towns have more rooms in total than all houses in LttP, Link's Awakening and the Oracle games together. And those rooms are more varied than the houses in said game as well.
The Minish are based off folklore and mythology such as the brownies of UK mythology or the Slavic Kikimora. The Minish seem to serve without any sort of requirements or expectation of compensation, whereas you had to leave food out for brownies and kikimora would break stuff if they didn't like you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Never read YouTube comments. It's not worth your sanity.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Anyone who watched the STALKER LP can attest to Thorn's love of sniping, even with weapons that can't really manage long-range combat. :v:

The jingle that plays when you use the Ocarina of Winds is actually from Super Mario Bros. 3, not from Link to the Past.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You think it's odd that someone's backyard has a big ol' mushroom growing in it, but I pass a house on my way to work that frequently has mushrooms growing in the front yard. Big honkin' ones, too, sometimes. I'm more inclined to question the lifespan of the mushroom or the integrity of fungus as a building material than its simple presence.

Also, I just realized the Minish who gives the Power Bracelet hint is quoting Should I Stay Or Should I Go. Bravo, Nintendo. :golfclap:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Hyrule really is so lucky that every time someone is gonna destroy it or take it over, someone shows up who conveniently has the required magic ability needed in order to navigate all the places needed to defeat the bad guy. Imagine if Twilight Princess Link were doing this instead.
It's more like "imagine if Midna showed up here instead of Ezlo", because he's the one with the convenient magic ability to shrink people. In fact, in recent games, it's usually the helper who enables the Link of the day to traverse the dungeons/overworld. Midna allows Link to move back and forth through the Twilight, King of Red Lions is a boat, Ezlo can shrink and grow people, etc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are you saying interpretive dance is not a useful skill?
It doesn't seem to enable Link to fly, so at the very least she doesn't qualify as the game's "navigation helper". She's more Navi than Navi ever was, though, so there's always that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Carbon dioxide posted:

I recently found out that there's actually an option in the Option menu of the Twilight Princess Wii version to change all the Wii pointer aiming into control stick aiming. You still have to slash the Wiimote to use the sword and stuff but it does help if you can't be bothered with pointing your controller all the time.
Honestly, the pointer aiming was fine, it was the waggle-slashing that bothered me in Twilight Princess.

Silegna posted:

If I remember right, when Thorn LPd Skyward Sword, his Wiimote kept desyncing and he modified his Wii to make Fi shut up.
I thought it was so that he could add in the patch that stops the game from telling you what you just picked up every single time. Granted, both are perfectly justifiable reasons to mod your Wii.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like how the Sword Beam and Peril Beam skills reference the original Legend of Zelda, but the Four Sword's beam attack is from Link to the Past.

Come to think of it, this implies that the Link from Zelda 1 learned the Sword Beam skill somewhere. Does he have a Tiger Scroll we don't know about?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheDarkFlame posted:

I've still yet to play Breath Of The Wild but I'm assuming they moved on from the A/B button system by this point?
Yes, in that you have like four or five "tool" items in the Runes that mostly get used to solve puzzles, and while they're stuck on one button, you can press Down (IIRC) on the D-Pad to switch between them without entering the menu like you need to in other Zeldas. Your melee weapons, bows, and shields are similarly set to different directions on the D-Pad.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Serifina posted:

Overall, Minish Cap looked surprisingly cute and fun. I like some of the things it did, even if it wasn't all executed all that well.

That said, I doubt anything will ever convince me that the kinstones weren't a waste of time and energy. Especially not when the vast majority of them gave either another kinstone, rupees, or seashells, which are for a literal gacha game for more meaningless collectibles.
Kinstones definitely weren't implemented very well. Otherwise, I'd agree with Thorn, that it's probably one of the best of the portable Zeldas, despite my personal fondness for the Oracle games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Either short hops or wavedashing depending upon momentum.

What I want to know is what happens if Link uses the Magnet Gloves while wearing the Iron Boots.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I half expected the treasure chest after the boss to be "You got Tetra!"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

While I can't say anything about this game in particular, the Stalfos in the 2D Zelda games jump away from melee attacks, but are vulnerable to ranged attacks. Shooting them probably would have worked better than stabbing.

I like how they jump out with their arms outstretched. They just want a hug.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love that the villain of this game (or at least the Zant) is an evil, demonic leprechaun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yapping Eevee posted:

What I've gathered from this first video is that Toots♪ is a distant relative of Scooter from Borderlands.

Also yeah, Chancellor Cole is... quite a character.
Catch-A-Traaaaaaaaiiiiiiin™!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

JustJeff88 posted:

It makes me sad, but I can't play Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass or Skyward Sword due to the controls; they just frustrate me too much. I hope that all of them get remakes with more traditional controls.
There are mods for the DS Zelda games that map the controls to more traditional Zelda-style button controls.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's a small detail, but I like how when you use the boomerang to light the torches, any frozen grass it passes over thaws out.

I notice that while the mailman doesn't read your mail out loud any more, he still has been snooping. Ethics are surprisingly lacking in not-Hyrule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

On the topic of the value of Dark Ore, wasn't the value of gold in its rarity for the longest time? It was just pretty and rare, so people wanted it. It was too soft to make anything useful out of, and its usefulness as an electrical conductor was only discovered relatively recently, with the advent of electronics.