Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Noir89 posted:

Can I highlight how sweet the tome system seems to be? Pick and match your choices with both internal in the tome and external with other factors synergies in small easy-to-grasp objects that are very thematic for the game, giving a very easy way to expand through DLC and perhaps mods! It looks like a really cool build-your-archemage system and I am really looking forward to try it out!

Absolutely, and some of the more advanced society traits that've been recently revealed show that you have the option to play in really unconventional ways, like Chosen Destroyers: you can't build cities, but get huge bonuses for razing them.

The affinity requirements for higher tier tomes look really soft at the moment. Faction leader capstone skills (which you get at levels 5-10-15-20) each give you one, and there's a non-leader hero skill that gives affinity points too (3 originally, but maybe nerfed to 2). Getting the 8 needed for tier 5 is no problem, making a huge range of builds possible to try even if you're dead set on a magic victory.

I saw one theory-crafted build on the Discord revolving around an ability that increased the number of "summon creature at beginning of battle" units, allowing stacks of the Horde tome's Houndmaster to totally flood the battlefield with dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah that it doesn't strictly lock you into progressing through a "tome tree" is also good, it opens up for more experimentation and still feel like it follows your Empire theme by tying to the affinities.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll not sure why, maybe it's deep seated ancestral master of magic memories, but picking spell books for my mage lord always tickles my fancy no matter how jaded I get

Playing ice mage one game and fire death mage the next is just plain good fun when the game supports it well with cool spells and creatures

I generally care a bit less about the races, I'm a bit concerned the mutable races in this are going to make enemy readability difficult

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

victrix posted:

I generally care a bit less about the races, I'm a bit concerned the mutable races in this are going to make enemy readability difficult

I don’t have the time to pull the quote, but races apparently stick to the defaults unless you make some custom ones that will then enter the rotation.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Have they announced if there's going to be a preload or not?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I preordered it, possibly unwise but fanatical had the sale and it does look like a lot of fun.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Preordered here as well but that was a mistake because now it sits there on my screen being not playable yet :(

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
A good friend of mine bought me it.

He's a terrible poster tho so I won't name him.

Also y'all are nerds and should have made a new thread already. JEEZE.

(hi, sorry for being dead, discord has replaced so much of SA for me and life has sucked poo poo these last three years. Its me, I'm the problem. :v: )

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030732&pagenumber=1#post531470258

Obviously this thread's going nowhere until it hits the archive, if we even do that anymore. I am out of touch with the times.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 27, 2023

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
I spotted the Inquisitor unit in Quill18's stream and got an idea for a Bloodborne-themed playthrough. Hope it's ok to theorycraft a bit!

1.) Start with Feudal culture for peasant pitchforks and Tome of Faith for Healing Church vibes - a holy medium has been discovered!
2.) Tome of the Horde to strengthen the peasants into hordes and get access to dogs.
3.) Tome of the Inquisition for your BB hunters via inquisitors: T3 skirmisher units with melee attacks and stunning bolts (gun parry).
4.) Tome of the Beacon for Mighty Meek: now your hunters get damage bonuses based on the tier of their targets.
5.) Tome of Pandemonium: Summon Chaos Eater, Mass Hysteria, Incite Revolution, Vessels of chaos.
6.) Tome of Devastation: mutant Warbreeds and Unleash the War Hounds for sieges.

At T4 maybe shift into Shadow tomes for death stuff.

The cherry on top would be those sweet tricorn hats that were originally dangled as Twitch drops before that was cancelled. Hope they come out as DLC or something.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Yeah hopefully that stuff will be rolled into the game later. I'm also hoping for tomes of flesh and blood works. Let me make meat golems, transmute people into The Thing and all that jazz. Go full Tzimisce.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hey Gerblyn, it's Friday, can you release the game early tia

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sweden has a May 1st bank holiday so paradox wouldn't even notice until Tuesday anyway

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Thyrork posted:

Yeah hopefully that stuff will be rolled into the game later. I'm also hoping for tomes of flesh and blood works. Let me make meat golems, transmute people into The Thing and all that jazz. Go full Tzimisce.

we must not allow a Meat Gap!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is there a workaround for my GPU going into overdrive whenever I enter the diplomacy menu? Turning vsync on at 30 fps works but makes the rest of the game feel really floaty and awful. I've only had a problem when in the diplomacy menus or when I used the synthesis doomsday operation.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is there a workaround for my GPU going into overdrive whenever I enter the diplomacy menu? Turning vsync on at 30 fps works but makes the rest of the game feel really floaty and awful. I've only had a problem when in the diplomacy menus or when I used the synthesis doomsday operation.

Have you updated your drivers lately?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Have you updated your drivers lately?

Good guess. My drivers did need updating. Unfortunately, doing so didn't stop my fans from going into overdrive on the diplomacy screen.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Since turning on Vsync at 30 works, have you tried going to your graphics card control center and setting the max frames of the game to 60? That should pull some burden off of your card while feeling better than Vsync30.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread!

Gave the game a whirl last night, was surprised how similar (in a good way) it was to AoW3 as I'd be under the impression it was otherwise. I played the tutorial, then said 'yes' to the baby-game 1v1, and chose the default guy.

One niggle that really annoyed/puzzled me: So uh, the Cryosleep guys and Purifiers are implied to have synergies, which is cool, customizing your leader gave a lot of fun in the previous game. Except... there where no synergies? Lasers and Thermal are totally different, and the Purifier tank that uses kinetics can't equip any of the kinetic mods I have as it's not a gunpowder unit. It's like two totally different tech trees with no overlap, and I'm standing there staring at it not quite 'getting' it?

The annexation mechanic is cool and good, might continue with the campaign and just ditch that 1v1 map. The performance under proton is awful tho, shame.

edit: I suppose I should saw I was expecting something like how you could pick Goblins and Rogues to double-down on blight damage, then go Destruction magic to paint the world in terrain that nobody but gobbos like. That sort of synergy, which to be fair might not have been readily apparent when learning AoW3, is what expecting with the Faction customizations.
edit2: I also didn't really see any big ways to build my hero one way or other other, excepting melee vs ranged and on foot vs piloting. Very generic skills.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 2, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The first laser mod you get lets lasers set people on fire, which then synergizes with the early purifier mod that lets you wreck people who are on fire.

But they have a lot less synergy than you'd expect, yes.

e: There certainly are synergies like the one you mentioned, this just isn't one of them.

e2: The primary hero customization comes through the mods they equip, including the bonus slot they unlock. Hero builds are more limited, but there's enough skills there to have to make compromises regarding army leading, utility, and personal combat abilities.

my dad fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 2, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
TBH the strongest thing the purifier secret tech gives you is the healing/debuff removing unit mod that does its thing without consuming an action point.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
I wouldn't call Vanguard and Promethean the most amazing combo, but they do have a bunch more going on than just lasers + thermal targeting. Half their units are firearms which can load fireburst which is amazing on its own but also combos with thermal targeting. Laser tanks are chunky and benefit nicely from absorption panels. The Promethean Walker is a battlesuit and thus can equip jumpjets, which is probably the best possible performance you can get out of that thing. And the Vanguard Purifiers have repeating rifles giving them more overall dps than other variants.

Its fair to say though that synergies in Planetfall are less obvious synergies like stacking blight damage and more combinations of units/mods/ops that just work better or worse in terms of behaviour/utility.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
OK so for anyone playing/having played AoW4, how do you recruit a unit. I can find the scout I'm supposed to recruit but after that I'm lost. I can't believe they don't indicate how/or I'm too dumb to see it.

Ignore, found it. Wish it was highlighted though. Off to watch Party Elite and Quill 18 playing the game on YT.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 2, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gerblyn did you forget to turn on the multiplayer servers

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread!

Gave the game a whirl last night, was surprised how similar (in a good way) it was to AoW3 as I'd be under the impression it was otherwise. I played the tutorial, then said 'yes' to the baby-game 1v1, and chose the default guy.

One niggle that really annoyed/puzzled me: So uh, the Cryosleep Vanguard guys and Purifiers are implied to have synergies, which is cool, customizing your leader gave a lot of fun in the previous game. Except... there where no synergies? Lasers and Thermal are totally different, and the Purifier tank that uses kinetics can't equip any of the kinetic mods I have as it's not a gunpowder unit. It's like two totally different tech trees with no overlap, and I'm standing there staring at it not quite 'getting' it?

Just a couple points of clarification: lasers and plasma are different weapon types, but they both use the thermal damage channel.

Like the others said, there are some mod interactions with the thermal damage channel, but putting aside my worries about repeating what others said: the tier 2 promethean research phoenix op station unlocks the strategic op “incineration strike”. In addition to damage, this op also grants -3 thermal resistance. You could give an assault bike a thermal ignition module and use the wide field laser array to set a large number of units on fire. Because of the op, the lasers and burn would do more damage. Of course, purifiers can also cause burning, so this combo becomes obsolete. Later on you could replace this with a Laser Tank with a Searing module, which iirc chars a unit for more thermal resistance reduction. And because you opened with an incineration strike, it’s easier to triple stack this charred status.

The aegis tank has a boring synergy with the vanguard- troopers get an accuracy bonus in cover, the tank counts as cover, and the shield helps mitigate the downside of clumping up troops

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 2, 2023

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Gerblyn did you forget to turn on the multiplayer servers

Sorry, looks like we should have do e more stress testing :shobon:

We do have people working to try and fix it all, but it might take a bit I’m afraid

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mayveena posted:

OK so for anyone playing/having played AoW4, how do you recruit a unit. I can find the scout I'm supposed to recruit but after that I'm lost. I can't believe they don't indicate how/or I'm too dumb to see it.

click on city (double click if a unit is on top of it) -> make sure the unit production tab is open on the left (should be by default) -> double click the unit you want

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread!

One niggle that really annoyed/puzzled me: So uh, the Cryosleep guys and Purifiers are implied to have synergies, which is cool, customizing your leader gave a lot of fun in the previous game. Except... there where no synergies? Lasers and Thermal are totally different, and the Purifier tank that uses kinetics can't equip any of the kinetic mods I have as it's not a gunpowder unit. It's like two totally different tech trees with no overlap, and I'm standing there staring at it not quite 'getting' it?

The annexation mechanic is cool and good, might continue with the campaign and just ditch that 1v1 map. The performance under proton is awful tho, shame.

edit: I suppose I should saw I was expecting something like how you could pick Goblins and Rogues to double-down on blight damage, then go Destruction magic to paint the world in terrain that nobody but gobbos like. That sort of synergy, which to be fair might not have been readily apparent when learning AoW3, is what expecting with the Faction customizations.
edit2: I also didn't really see any big ways to build my hero one way or other other, excepting melee vs ranged and on foot vs piloting. Very generic skills.

pretty much every race/secret tech combination is going to be good, but different ones will synergize in different ways. vanguard purifiers get a repeating attack instead of a single action attack along with more range on the primary fire (vangaurd purifiers are very good). as mentioned vanguard has access to multiple mods that inflict burning, which promethean mods can interact with. if you want to double down on thermal damage you certainly can, though when it comes to mod applicability weapon group (a tag in ()s at the bottom of the attack description, like (firearms)) is what's used, not the damage type. this is a little confusing in cases like arc and psi, where the channel type is the same name as the weapon group (even though they're kinda different things).

hero builds are going to fall roughly into one of the lines you mentioned, similar to aow3. you can do some stuff within those groupings.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Too many people trying to play the game is a good problem to be having, all things considered. :v:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Trip report: Game kicks rear end. Having fun as First Citizen Redda Lert of the Undersoviet

Also while scavenging my empire for every scrap of coin i discovered that founded cities keep their outpost structure that costs you 10 gold upkeep. But you can dismantle it with no apparent downside lel

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

What do little crescent pips mean below an attack, does that just mean the attack is not affected by remaining move points? edit, I think that's just the default for most attacks and the crescents mean you do get one attack per move point

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 3, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

so far my biggest complaint is that undead units still blink, it would be a lot better if they didn't blink

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As a request, it would be nice if the game would save the advanced setup elements with the realm when you save it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Flavahbeast posted:

What do little crescent pips mean below an attack, does that just mean the attack is not affected by remaining move points? edit, I think that's just the default for most attacks and the crescents mean you do get one attack per move point

Correct, that means it's a multi attack that will spend all remaining AP on attacks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also remember there is an AoW4 thread that's got a lot more activity than this one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030732&pagenumber=1#post531470258

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone earlier asked about getting the economy started up playing as a Dark faction, and the trick seems to be going to war with as many Free Cities as you can, but not eliminating them. They will occasionally send War Parties to your domain to raid you, each one is led by a hero - defeating the heroes lets you fill up your crypts/prisons to start getting all that bonus research from prisoners.

I'm doing this in a Highborn evil game right now by accident and my prisons are stuffed.

e: I posted this in the wrong AoW thread :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 4, 2023

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: I posted this in the wrong AoW thread :v:

Its the curse of having two of them! drat you Triumph! drat you to heck!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So with my time with AOW 4 coming to an end (for now) I was thinking of idly giving PF a swansong run alongside this mod; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2377887888

Because Adventure Mod seems really neat.

Does anyone have anything else they'd recommend to go with it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Thyrork posted:

So with my time with AOW 4 coming to an end (for now) I was thinking of idly giving PF a swansong run alongside this mod; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2377887888

Because Adventure Mod seems really neat.

Does anyone have anything else they'd recommend to go with it?

I'd like to second a request for mod suggestions. I worried I'm coming to the end of my planetfall empire playthrough. I only have three relics unclaimed, 2/3rds of the factions and techs are at max rank, and I just beat a 310% planet.

AoW4 looks pretty shallow in comparison, with a lot of surface level customization that doesn't seem nearly as interesting as planetfall's mods and extremely diverse units. Is it actually as good as planetfall for those who didn't bounce off this game?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its got its own charms and I like it a lot, though some dlc's are going to make it really sparkle.

Still, I'm probably the wrong person to ask, so away to the thread with thee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd like to second a request for mod suggestions. I worried I'm coming to the end of my planetfall empire playthrough. I only have three relics unclaimed, 2/3rds of the factions and techs are at max rank, and I just beat a 310% planet.

AoW4 looks pretty shallow in comparison, with a lot of surface level customization that doesn't seem nearly as interesting as planetfall's mods and extremely diverse units. Is it actually as good as planetfall for those who didn't bounce off this game?

I kinda like both the tinkering with mods and AoW4 simplifying it to "Buff all of X type unit for Y per turn" which is basically what happens in the end when you mod your units in Planetfall.