Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

AoW3 is one of my most-played steam games so I'm super excited to hear about a new game. The combinations of races and classes and spells really kept the game fresh. On top of that the DLCs were fantastic. I have really high hopes for Planetfall.

Edit: Is Gerblyn still at Triumph? His avatar from the AoW3 thread was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet

Doobie Keebler posted:

AoW3 is one of my most-played steam games so I'm super excited to hear about a new game. The combinations of races and classes and spells really kept the game fresh. On top of that the DLCs were fantastic. I have really high hopes for Planetfall.

Edit: Is Gerblyn still at Triumph? His avatar from the AoW3 thread was amazing.

Yep, he's at PDXCON right now.

I'll have to make him a new one for the next game :v:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jabarto posted:

I actually have it in my Steam library from a sale years ago, but never tried it. I seem to remember it being panned by the fans and kind of forgot about it.

It definitely wasn't panned! Play it, if you like 1 and 2 you'll like 3.
There were unhappy voices because of fewer races at the start but that was it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Taear posted:

It definitely wasn't panned! Play it, if you like 1 and 2 you'll like 3.

I might be confusing it with Disciples 3 as far as the bad reception. In any event I'll give it a shot. :)

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

the game was kinda a mess in general at the start

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just hope this has magic or a magic equivalent

[e] with how much old rpgs used to pull the “this fantasy setting is really sci-fi “ card I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner. The closest I can think of is that one faction in HoMM 3 that got axed.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 19, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I really need to get back into AoW3. I picked it up shortly after release, having never played the series before, and I remember really liking it for the short time I played it but I wound up getting distracted by something else and never came back to it. Apparently it made enough of an impression that I grabbed the DLC despite not touching either of them. These Frostling dudes look neat.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh poo poo :getin:

I was just playing a little AoW3 again the other day. I had forgotten half of the game mechanics somehow, and forgotten just how good the game is in general. Looking forward to seeing how this sci-fi one turns out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I hope for more 4x stuff from the game I guess. I like the exploring and killing groups of monsters and slowly building up but the upgrading paths in the cities are very flat.
It'd be cool for them to open it up more, give us some more choices and different ideas.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It sounds like they're leaning even more into the combat, which was always their strongest aspect. Playing a 4x where the combat is basically xcom (which means both sides have to obey economy rules and the enemy can't just magically get new units)? That sounds amazing.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

AoW3 was great and I'm tentatively excited about this. Sometime in 2019's a long way off, though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If they have as much unit and city variety as AoW 3, I'd be a very happy dude. Seems to be all humans this time though, which is kind of a bummer. I'd have liked to see Elves and Frostlings and Tigrans IN SPAAAACE!

EDIT: You know, with mention of the Star Union, who's to say we might not see some Battletech cameos? :)

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 19, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I was just idly wondering what these devs were up to and I log on to find this. whoah.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Awesome! I logged a ton of hours in AoW3 and it was great fun to kit out your do not steel warlord and go comp-stomping on the random maps. I hope we get some decent racial diversity (both mechanically and literally) since the patched in racial quirks were one of my favorite aspects of building a faction. If you haven’t played AoW3 with poison blunderbuss goblin engineers, you even haven’t played the game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

saw this list of facts from someone at the con:

6 “major” races. Pre-release name: Space Dwarves made it into the game! \o/
Various “technologies” which roughly correspond to classes or spheres of magic of the previous AoW games.
Permanently flying unit mechanics have returned as the game now has a stronger focus on ranged combat, with cover and overwatch mechanics built in.
Larger battlefields than AoW3 with interactive objects that can used for cover and even destroyed under sustained fire.
Leader and hero units with many capable of being upgraded and changed to meet different threats. This keeps low tier units competitive through micro-management.
A similar dwelling system to AoW3 with 4-5 races being featured such as the “undead” in the form of cyborg warriors. They may have a greater impact on the game.
Sector system is a refined and upgraded version of the mystical city upgrades from AoW3.
Sector system lets you snake across the map and effects where your settlements can be built.
Sectors can be broken apart by the enemy further incentivizing economic wars.
Random Map Generator content during the campaign. Main story lines are fixed, however, most of the maps will be randomly generated. This results in secondary storylines which effect later campaign levels!

General information:

In contrast to AoW3, your Race is flavored by your Class, as each race has its own unique mechanics.
Diplomacy will be more relevant than in AoW3.
Adjacent hex system has returned.
Stack size remains at 6, akin to the AoW3 model.
The overflow of excess production and research points has been confirmed.
The possibility of battlefield concealment abilities, such as cover (Perhaps this means stealth too?).
Strategic maps are based around a single planet. (Perhaps campaigns are system or galaxy wide.)
Existence of magic has neither been confirmed nor denied. If its there, its much lesser of an impact. Though technology should may replace it.
In tactical combat, you can call in orbital bombardments or call in marine reinforcements from space.

Mod tool details:

Strong likelihood mod tools will be released during the games launch.
We will be able to craft new tactical combat maps, and partially randomize them. For example, you could make a fort and then randomize the locations of the trees and rocks around it, in an area you specify. To a site, you can assign a list of possible tactical combat maps, and a random one will be picked.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
AoWIII's insanely good but I always get past the early midgame on a new race/class combo and then don't get around to finishing. Maybe I should give the campaigns a go.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

AoWIII's insanely good but I always get past the early midgame on a new race/class combo and then don't get around to finishing. Maybe I should give the campaigns a go.

My go-to Age of Wonders III routine goes roughly:

1. Spend 60 mins painstakingly deciding on a character, race, class and spell schools.
2. Spend 20 mins deciding on a name for the character, preferentially involving a bad pun on one of the options in step 1
3. Start game, restart multiple times to get cool nearby goodie huts
4. Spend 5 turns or so clearing around the city
5. Be lulled into false sense of security by braindead overland map AI and lose a hero character to absolutely ruthless tactical map AI
6. Ragequit and resolve to reload game another day
7. Several days later start at step 1

It always gets me the dichotomy of the overland map AI skills relative to the combat AI. Unlike in Civ where the AI is always dumb, in AOW you will end up getting triple flanked by some rear end in a top hat ghosts and obliterated. The same ghosts will just wander in circles on the overland map, despite probably being able to siege your city.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The one thing I want out of this is either have only single-model units or have multi-model units lose combat power proportional to model loss. And of course, you can have special multi-model units that don't lose power ('heroic' 'frenzied' whatever) but don't have that the default cause it's super weird.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Q&A Session: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263409801?t=02h53m09s

I recommend watching this one too as they use some of the early screenshots as a visual aid while talking shop.

Q: Can you tell us about the vision? Why sci-fi?
A: Long time sci-fi fans. Lots of fantasy games for twenty years, need to do something different and sci-fi matches TBS.

Q: We're you considering sci-fi before?
A: Yeah! We wanted to keep it planet bound.

Some talking about a concept art. Shattered city with jets scouting it. Exploring and finding ruined cities. Core idenity of exploring the fallout of the Star Union.
Lots of post-apocalyptic stuff. You emerge from your homeworlds to discover the shattered galaxy.
Pictures of the Vanguard, armed explorer's, they were in cryo sleep when the disaster happened.

Q: Lots of colour in the art.
A: You start in darkness, building into a new age of wonders, if that age is dark, that's up to you.

Kir-ko(?) A playable insectoid race. They have an origin story, inspired by zerg and tyranids and sci-fi bugs, but peaceful. Were enslaved. They're angry and its upto the player to decide what they do.

Q: What kind of sci-fi inspired the universe?
A: Starship Troopers, Fallout, Dune. Mythological science fiction. More star wars, less star trek.

Q: Whats the core gameplay?
A: You land on a mystery planet. Why did the empire fall? What did it? Its your job to find out. Found a colony, explore, figure out whats going on and take advantage of it. You're not alone on this world. Huge storms ravaged the empire, now others are searching the ruins too. You don't know if the other explorers will be peaceful or not.

Q: Combat.
A: Moving units around and combat is a huge focus. Even if you're a peaceful empire, you will be fighting the worlds. Cover and explosive cars mentioned. When you choose your race the units differ, much more then AOW3.

Q: Differences between AOW3 and Planetfall?
A: AOW3 had a melee combat focus and you couldn't miss. Planetfall doesn't work for it, too much ranged. So you can miss and in doing so, destroy cover or a car or shoot your friend.

Talking about units. Heroes with customization gear. Bug monsters that can eat things to create spawn. Tanks with smoke cover.

Q: Technology.
A: The engine's lightning system is better compared to aow3. 64-bit engine this time too for more content and easier modding.

More cool artwork showing the vanguard and the insectoid race heroes.

Q: World Map.
A: Whats new is the sector system. You add sectors to your main system. You specialize sectors with modifiers, choices you have to make. There is Wilderness and Landmark sectors. Landmarks lead to finding things like parks, Las Vegas, giving immediate boons. Recruit entertainment androids (party bots?!).

New colony management system and how you apply them. You can shuffle people to do more farming if you're low on food.

Another picture. Talking about vanguard attacking one of the non-intelligent races, the blue rock monsters. Mentioning that the world's have native populations and how you deal with them will be important, but the worlds are also overrun with powerful, hostile fauna.
Talking about perma-flying units and their return.

More world map stuff. Talking about the xeno life institute. Their business was terraforming, engineering and blacksites were they experimented with humans. Explore them to find strange technologies, such as but not limited to, enslaving your population into a hive mind.

Secret techs are a thing! Xenoplague and Promethian shown. The first infects and spawns new monsters, sci fi bio horror. The latter is mech stuff armed with flamethrowers.

Audience questions:

Q: Gold standard is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for sci-fi TBS. Beyond Earth took a shot at it and missed. What lessons have you learned?
A: Very politically dangerous question! We love Sid's AC. Narrative element is the heart, tells its own story, one story. We're taking that element and applying it to a larger scale. Multiple worlds of history with a key narrative element. The "world" is the collapsed galactic empire.

Q: Are there dire penguins?
A: Oooh, a classic. Some concept art, so just maaaybe. But alien nasty things?

Q: Race units, how many different units will there be and how many?
A: 11 or 12, with two as dedicated warships. Secret techs bring three to four more. Take over other player cities and use their units. Not as good due to a lack of tech tree but you're getting more.

Q: In AOW we had several levels, ground, under, are we having that in planetfall?
A: Exploration is important but we're undecided on a underground layer. The underground was great for dungeon crawling fantasy, dragon lairs deep in the earth. "Layers" do exist in that controlling more ground leads to things such as satellite usage (a soft-space layer you dont go to but put things into and use from?) and this is tied to sectors.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 20, 2018

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
New concept art and a screenshot grabbed from the Q & A stream:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man space dwarves are tempting, but I think Im going to need to play as the Glorious Bee Empire.
All hail the Spacebees.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Reharakhti posted:

New concept art and a screenshot grabbed from the Q & A stream:

Thankya.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Seems cool imo.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

That's a Locust Mech, isn't it? Or at least it looks incredibly similar.

Suddenly I'm very hype and also I wish nobody ever announced their games until, like, a month before they release because I crave instant gratification.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

That's a Locust Mech, isn't it? Or at least it looks incredibly similar.

Suddenly I'm very hype and also I wish nobody ever announced their games until, like, a month before they release because I crave instant gratification.

It's got the angular slim body of a Locust (and the little gear bit perched on top of its head) and the missile pod arms of a Catapult.

And the fabulous dreamlike landscape of a world filled with lostech. :swoon:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm glad someone in the audience knows whats really important and asked about dire penguins

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

That all looks really impressive!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Giant robots are for stomping giant bugs :colbert: Unless the bugs are bros.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Apparently I had a dream game without even realizing it, because holy poo poo this is ticking every single one of my boxes

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I re-downloaded AoW 3 this weekend to whet my appetite for the new game and discovered that it just runs abysmally on my pc. Medium settings, no bells or whistles with Shadows turned off entirely and its a laggy unplayable mess. What is really odd is that this is the same system I ran it on previously only with the old gtx 680 replaced with a newer 960. Oh and a Windows 10 update. Googling doesn't seem to turn up anyone else having this issue.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrManiac posted:

I just hope this has magic or a magic equivalent

[e] with how much old rpgs used to pull the “this fantasy setting is really sci-fi “ card I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner. The closest I can think of is that one faction in HoMM 3 that got axed.

It's much more explicit in the Might & Magic RPGs themselves. In the endgames of M&M 6, 7 and 8, you run around with laser blasters as your beast weapons. The "devils" are just demon looking aliens, etc. In M&M 1-5, you follow a robot of the "Ancients" through various worlds that are mostly fantasy reams, but always feature robot enemies at the end.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I really liked Age of Wonders 3 so I'll be watching this one. Though like others have said, I really hope it doesn't switch over to the standard Paradox business model because if it does I'll probably just mentally write it off and forget about it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Hi all! on a plane so can’t chat, but is it possible the game has decided to use the onboard gfx card instead of the 960?

Will be back later if anyone has questions!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Welcome back Gerblyn. :3:

I assume no deep dives into mechanics or gameplay just yet? No "can my leader equip a laser sword?" or "is there leaders as well as heroes?"

Michiel van den Bos back on for music?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’d like to know about the overwatch and missed shots mechanics myself. If it’s like the Imperialism games where units that didn’t shoot on their turn will get one shot at the first enemy that tries to attack them, then that’s a fun way way to encourage mixed unit compositions. In Imperialism 2 you use light dodgy units or ranged tanky units to draw fire from the enemy artillery before you move your vulnerable big guns into range.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

boredsatellite posted:

I'm glad someone in the audience knows whats really important and asked about dire penguins

Cyborg penguins this time

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
My fiancee and I are desperate to know and frustrated that no one has asked the most important of all questions.

Will there be space goblins?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I have about 40 hours of AoW3 behind me, and I feel like I never got good at it. Chalk me up as exited for this, though.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Cyborg penguins this time

On an ice planet, programmed to kill everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Hi all! on a plane so can’t chat, but is it possible the game has decided to use the onboard gfx card instead of the 960?

Will be back later if anyone has questions!

Hmm perhaps. I had googled the problem and that solution came up a lot with regard to laptops. I will to investigate tonight.