Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm making my way through the original campaign. It has been pretty fun but I've had a lot of trouble evaluating secret techs and mods.

Most advice I've seen suggests building a combo out of t1-4 techs. I'm wondering if that still applies for the campaign and what some of these combos actually look like. It has been a long time since I've played AoW3 but that mostly came down to spamming a powerful t2 or t3 unit, which was a lot easier to wrap my head around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

Easy naval fix, every map must have tons of canals, inlets, and fjords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL60NUGrOFw

Alternatively, desert planets with no water.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Having naval units their own production line and fully refundable removes any strategic choice from the equation. You'd pretty much always want to build them and if you ever need the money back you just disband them. Strategy games aint interesting if there is always one good choice.

Having water be rewarding if you opt in but not required isn't necessarily contradictory.

Also, give people the benefit of the doubt and assume the issue is with communication and not them flip-flopping, being intellectually dishonest, or contradictory.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm trying to figure out overwatch in planetfall and between what I've read online and what I'm seeing in game I'm wondering if it was changed in a patch.

I've never seen a non-agile overwatch unit make more than a single shot. Doesn't matter how many action points I have when I set up overwatch, units only shoot once. I thought this was intentional until trying Dvar Bulwarks, who shoot three times unless they get staggered.

I think this is why I found vanguard miserable to play. I don't know how to hold off melee with a single shot. I stopped using overwatch entirely during the vanguard campaign and things got much better.

Edit: I could be misreading things but triple overwatch was really noticeable with bulwarks and I just had some t1 neutral critters walk through syndicate 3-action overwatch and take hardly any damage.

Edit: After some more testing I might also just be an idiot. Overwatch doesn't seem great though.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 20, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Is there a workaround for my GPU going into overdrive whenever I enter the diplomacy menu? Turning vsync on at 30 fps works but makes the rest of the game feel really floaty and awful. I've only had a problem when in the diplomacy menus or when I used the synthesis doomsday operation.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Have you updated your drivers lately?

Good guess. My drivers did need updating. Unfortunately, doing so didn't stop my fans from going into overdrive on the diplomacy screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Thyrork posted:

So with my time with AOW 4 coming to an end (for now) I was thinking of idly giving PF a swansong run alongside this mod; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2377887888

Because Adventure Mod seems really neat.

Does anyone have anything else they'd recommend to go with it?

I'd like to second a request for mod suggestions. I worried I'm coming to the end of my planetfall empire playthrough. I only have three relics unclaimed, 2/3rds of the factions and techs are at max rank, and I just beat a 310% planet.

AoW4 looks pretty shallow in comparison, with a lot of surface level customization that doesn't seem nearly as interesting as planetfall's mods and extremely diverse units. Is it actually as good as planetfall for those who didn't bounce off this game?