Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Check out citizenship by descent for whatever your background is. If you've got Polish, Italian, or Irish grandparents you might be eligible to get citizenship in one of those countries, which would allow you into France. Also Germany if your grandad was German and Jewish and got a victim of Nazis. All of these are fairly limited but worth checking out.

I live abroad in Latin America and hate it but my (non US) wife is terrified of Trump so here we are. I can answer general questions about living abroad but obviously not specific French or EU stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

This is something I've been giving a significant amount of thought to over the past few months. I don't like the direction things are going in the U.S., and while I recognize that things are going the same direction in the EU in a lot of ways, so far France has managed to fight off the worst of Le Front Nationale and the Le Pens. I choose France because it's an EU country that is unlikely to Frexit anytime soon, has the sort of weather I like, and I speak some French (four years of high school french, a year of college French, and a month in France about 20 years ago, I would describe myself as "not quite conversational;" I've been using DuoLingo to brush up over the past few weeks).

This would probably be at least a year or two out for me, and I'd vastly prefer to have a job lined up before I go. I'd definitely want to move to a city, preferably a larger one (Paris, Lyon, Marseille), but would be willing to go wherever a job could take me. I currently work doing IT for a small/medium financial institution. I'll definitely be taking at least one trip out there before I go (I want to get out there this year). I'm a single dude, no pets, I don't own my home, and have no furniture I'd want to hang on to; I could probably fit everything I'd want to keep in a couple of large duffel bags and ship my computer.

So, I have several questions to any Goons who've done anything like this:

*What are the major downsides? I'm happy for people to try to talk me out of it, I'm not married to the idea yet, just something I'm thinking about.
*What's the best way to find a job over there? I live in Seattle now, if that matters.
*Any reason I should focus on one city over another? I really like cities, rural areas are not for me.
*Is there a better way than Duo Lingo for me to improve my French?
*What are some good French-language news sources for me to start reading? I read a ton of news; I'd like a couple of sources, preferably nothing written so that I have to look up every other word. I'm probably left/center-left on the French spectrum, so I'd definitely like one source from there, and then at least one source that's center/center-right. Is Le Monde my best bet to start?
*What haven't I thought about that I probably should?

Honestly, if you're worried about Trump or alt-right sentiment the safest place from that probably is in the United States. In the US you have due process protections and rights that prevent the Trump camp from just arbitrarily targeting you. In a foreign country you don't. The US is extremely dominant both militarily and economically right now and Trump can dumpster pretty much any other country he wants basically at his whim. You do not want to be living in the EU if Trump decides to go through with his threat to zero out the trade deficit.

Xequecal fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 25, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xequecal posted:

Honestly, if you're worried about Trump or alt-right sentiment the safest place from that probably is in the United States. In the US you have due process protections and rights that prevent the Trump camp from just arbitrarily targeting you. In a foreign country you don't. The US is extremely dominant both militarily and economically right now and Trump can dumpster pretty much any other country he wants basically at his whim. You do not want to be living in the EU if Trump decides to go through with his threat to zero out the trade deficit.

The EU as a trading bloc is the same size as the US and one of the things it is actually very good at is, in fact, being a trading bloc. If Trump really did go to the mattresses over trade the US would suffer just as badly from EU retaliation so you'd be hosed either way.

As for militarily. ..France is a nuclear power within NATO. it's not going to get drone striked, come on now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

Check out citizenship by descent for whatever your background is. If you've got Polish, Italian, or Irish grandparents you might be eligible to get citizenship in one of those countries, which would allow you into France. Also Germany if your grandad was German and Jewish and got a victim of Nazis. All of these are fairly limited but worth checking out.

I live abroad in Latin America and hate it but my (non US) wife is terrified of Trump so here we are. I can answer general questions about living abroad but obviously not specific French or EU stuff.
I just looked up Italian descent citizenship... it can't really be that easy, can it? My grandfather was Italian. I'm assuming it's a months-long process... is there some sort of quota or something?

And while I'm not going to say Trump has nothing to do with me wanting to move, he's more of a symptom than an actual cause. It's more general economic and political trends here that I'm trying to get away from, and while I recognize that the EU is far from perfect, it's not having the problems to quite the same degree.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thanatosian posted:

it's not having the problems to quite the same degree.

I'm not intending to be a complete dick here but how much time have you spent in the EU in the last, say, 36 months? Keep in mind that as a tourist you are certainly interacting with the most open-minded and cosmopolitan sector of society.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

All the people making GBS threads on this are just ignoring health care. If you can get in to one of those countries and get in the system you probably have a better life than most Americans.

Let me know if the Italian citizenship thing works for you. I honestly don't know much about it but I know someone who did it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not intending to be a complete dick here but how much time have you spent in the EU in the last, say, 36 months? Keep in mind that as a tourist you are certainly interacting with the most open-minded and cosmopolitan sector of society.
Zero time anytime in the recent past. I'm aware of the racism and that in a lot of ways, Americans are a lot more forward-thinking on those sorts of issues. I know there's some serious backlash against immigrants. Like I said, a lot of it is economic. I intend to do some substantial exploring there before I ever move there. If it does go poorly, I figure I can move back to the States, and my parents are in a position where they could help me.

Hellblazer187 posted:

All the people making GBS threads on this are just ignoring health care. If you can get in to one of those countries and get in the system you probably have a better life than most Americans.

Let me know if the Italian citizenship thing works for you. I honestly don't know much about it but I know someone who did it.
I encourage people to poo poo on this. I want to hear good reasons why I shouldn't do it, things I'm seeing that are likely to be way harder than I'm thinking with the medium amount of Googling I did regarding it. I have a job now with adequate health care (one likely to lead into more jobs with adequate healthcare), and I'm in pretty good shape for a fat 36-year-old, so health care isn't a huge concern.

A little digging and my grandfather wasn't born in Italy, so I have to some more digging to figure out where in Italy, exactly, my great-grandparents were born, and when they left. The process looks to be not too complicated, and not as expensive as I was thinking it would be (most expensive part seems like it will be getting the necessary documents translated into Italian). Definitely looks hella time-consuming, though.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Italy is pretty awful though. High unemployment, crime, and a language that is pretty much useless outside of Italy and a few pockets of Switzerland...

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Xequecal posted:

The US is extremely dominant both militarily and economically right now and Trump can dumpster pretty much any other country he wants basically at his whim. You do not want to be living in the EU if Trump decides to go through with his threat to zero out the trade deficit.

none of this is true

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Crayvex posted:

Italy is pretty awful though. High unemployment, crime, and a language that is pretty much useless outside of Italy and a few pockets of Switzerland...

Great country to visit, poo poo country to live in or work in.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

feedmegin posted:

The EU as a trading bloc is the same size as the US and one of the things it is actually very good at is, in fact, being a trading bloc. If Trump really did go to the mattresses over trade the US would suffer just as badly from EU retaliation so you'd be hosed either way.

As for militarily. ..France is a nuclear power within NATO. it's not going to get drone striked, come on now.

Well, obviously not, but getting drone striked isn't the issue here. In the US Trump can't mess with, say, your health care without Congress. However in his prescription drug plan he basically outright promises to cut US drug prices by extorting the balance from Europe, and that's something he absolutely can do.

The fact of the matter is the EU has a $125 billion trade surplus and this represents a lot of jobs. Not only does the EU have more to lose than the US does, but unemployment in the US is under 4%. The economy can take a hit and still be in good shape. Unemployment in France is 9%. They're not going to do so well if Trump gets aggressive with his trade wars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

unemployment isn't a directly comparable metric for a litany of reasons. one of the major ones is the structure of the employment market. Most EU countries have relatively high minimum wages, low income inequality, a strong welfare state, and low mobility between jobs. All of these contribute to higher unemployment rates. The US has low minimum wages, high income inequality, a weak welfare state, and relatively high mobility between jobs. These all contribute to relatively low unemployment rates.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crayvex posted:

I have no intention of moving to Italy. But my understanding is that once you have an EU passport, it's much, much easier to move to other EU countries; am I incorrect?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you're far left then Seattle is probably one of the best places you can be. Especially if you think that left-leaning people need to be on the run from some huge rising alt-right universe. Seattle really is pretty super left. I loved it up there. If Seattle isn't left enough for you, I have no idea where to tell you to go but it isn't France.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you're far left then Seattle is probably one of the best places you can be. Especially if you think that left-leaning people need to be on the run from some huge rising alt-right universe. Seattle really is pretty super left. I loved it up there. If Seattle isn't left enough for you, I have no idea where to tell you to go but it isn't France.

Washington State has the most regressive tax structure in the country, and Jeff Bezos just wrote a very small check to buy himself a tax rebate. Despite a massive housing crisis, the NIMBYs exert a tremendous amount of influence to prevent new development, especially development of anything that isn't more single-family housing or incredibly expensive luxury apartments. Seattle is very leftist in a lot of ways--especially socially--and economically, puts on a strong progressive front, but when the rubber actually hits the road, things on the economic front tend to be a lot more conservative.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I live in a liberal city in the US and plenty of the living-in-America oddities (in particular the awful healthcare system) still hold regardless.

Thanatosian posted:

I have no intention of moving to Italy. But my understanding is that once you have an EU passport, it's much, much easier to move to other EU countries; am I incorrect?

You are correct, although I have no idea how the process for obtaining Italian citizenship works in your case.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xequecal posted:

Well, obviously not, but getting drone striked isn't the issue here. In the US Trump can't mess with, say, your health care without Congress. However in his prescription drug plan he basically outright promises to cut US drug prices by extorting the balance from Europe, and that's something he absolutely can do.

The OP did say 'militarily'.

Also I'm sorry but I am definitely not buying the implication of 'you are better off in the US healthcare system than France's in the event of a trade war'! The nice thing about EU healthcare is not having to pay 'free market' prices for drugs as an individual.

Also also Congress has the ability to rein in the President over trade if it wants to - tariffs are explicitly supposed to be Congress's responsibility in fact. It chooses not to.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

A little digging and my grandfather wasn't born in Italy, so I have to some more digging to figure out where in Italy, exactly, my great-grandparents were born, and when they left. The process looks to be not too complicated, and not as expensive as I was thinking it would be (most expensive part seems like it will be getting the necessary documents translated into Italian). Definitely looks hella time-consuming, though.

Prepare yourself for the most incomprehensibly incompetent and corrupt bureaucratic process you can possibly imagine. You need to be an expert in whatever process you're trying to complete as well as speak idiot-proof Italian, because at some point you will run into some clown who just doesn't want to do the thing you want and will fixate relentlessly on any mistake you've made or form you're lacking or just make up some bullshit to send you away. Never give any extra information, only what is required--and you should always know what is required or you'll get fobbed off. Best solution, make friends with someone in the embassy and then you'll have half a chance.

Source: my wife's Italian and I've been with her a couple of times to get things done. Here are some of the things I've seen.
  • We got married in San Francisco, went to the consulate to declare the marriage to the Italians and made the mistake of saying we were moving to Ireland soon. "Ah well, Ireland is closer to Italy so it will be faster if you do it there." In Ireland we were told we should have registered in the country where the marriage occurred.
  • Still in San Francisco, there was a man in the office who was basically crying because he said he'd left his passport with the consulate 18 months earlier and he needed it back. The woman at the counter just told him they didn't have it and didn't know where it was.
  • In Ireland, the first time we went, not only did the guy tell us we should have done it in the US, he told us it couldn't be done anywhere except the US or Italy. Later my wife discovered that a work colleague had previously worked at the Italian embassy and she told us no, that's not true, come with me and I'll make them do it. We went in a side door, didn't wait in line, got a coffee (of course) and the same dumb rear end in a top hat who told us it couldn't be done was super friendly and said he could do the whole thing and he could take care of anything for friends of Gabriella.
  • In fact, we never received any confirmation from Italy that our marriage had been registered, nor did the guy remember us when we went back to the embassy nor did they have any record of our request. We basically just hoped it had gone through and a few years later when she got a new passport it said she was married so hopefully it's to me but who fuckin even knows at this point.
  • She needed to get an ID card (or some document that she needed to get her ID card) that she could only get in the town where her birth was registered. Her dad warned us, too, if we were talking to the guy with the gimpy arm we were going to have a bad time. Well we started out by talking to a woman so we thought everything was OK, but then she couldn't find my wife's name in their computer system and sure enough old gimpy arm appeared to help us out. I promise that I am not exaggerating when I say we stood there for 2 hours arguing about whether my wife's birth had been registered, whether she was in the right town, whether she knew her father's name, whether the fact that her parents had divorced was the problem, loving I don't even know. They were staring at the records for two solid loving hours saying that her father had no children registered with her name until the woman finally asked, "Do you have a middle name?" and then acted like well why didn't you say so? why have you been wasting our time this entire afternoon?!?! When this dumb cow had been staring at the screen and saying again and again, no... no... no children by that name. Two. Hours.

Good luck with your citizenship application!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Seattle is full of tech bro libertarians and nazis though? And east washington is one giant klan rally.

Those ancestory ways to citzenship are kind of a scam. They will tell you to get hosed with out an absurd amount of proof like your grandmas birth certificate from 1930. I suggest if you plan to to go that route you find a lawyer in the country to stream line it for you. Also I think most countries with those repatriation laws dont just hand you an eu citizenship when you land in the country you have to wait x years. If youre in IT learn cobol if the market for jobs is anything like in america you can walk into a french bank spit in their face call them cheese loving surrender monkeys and then mention you know cobol and are looking for a job and you can probably walk out with a job.

alot of what i said is hyperbole but for reals cobol is job generating machine and the pacific northwest isnt as left leaning as people think

snergle fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 8, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Honestly this is a huge reason why I’m interested in ex patriating.

Healthcare in the EU, or hell basically any other first world country, is wildly better than in the United States.

As an American, If any point in your health care for an event occurs outside of your network you are likely bankrupt.

I posted this question in the small questions megathread; is there a general expatriating thread?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Seattle is about the most left a place in America can be but it’s still centrist at best compared to actually democratic areas in the EU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If someone refers to Europe and not at least a region of a country, they’re full of poo poo, hth.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Becoming an expat in France or whatever is certainly possible and people do all the time. However OP I would say that your chance of success with your current plan is pretty much zero and more importantly your motivation is all hosed up. To move to France you need to have a specific desire to go and live in that country and to that region or city, and particularly in France you should have a really good level of the language before attempting this. All I see in your post is wanting to get away from what's on the news coupled with having taken French 101.

If you actually want to live abroad get skilled up in your job and join a big global company that will allow you to do an internal transfer to a different office. I suspect that being a computer toucher is not the best career to do this. Having moved to Switzerland this year as an EU citizen it still hasn't been completely straightforward, even with a pretty comprehensive relocation package.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if you're under the age of 40 and actually need healthcare, you've got problems

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

snergle posted:

Seattle is full of tech bro libertarians and nazis though? And east washington is one giant klan rally.

Those ancestory ways to citzenship are kind of a scam. They will tell you to get hosed with out an absurd amount of proof like your grandmas birth certificate from 1930. I suggest if you plan to to go that route you find a lawyer in the country to stream line it for you. Also I think most countries with those repatriation laws dont just hand you an eu citizenship when you land in the country you have to wait x years. If youre in IT learn cobol if the market for jobs is anything like in america you can walk into a french bank spit in their face call them cheese loving surrender monkeys and then mention you know cobol and are looking for a job and you can probably walk out with a job.

alot of what i said is hyperbole but for reals cobol is job generating machine and the pacific northwest isnt as left leaning as people think

Seattle/Washington popular leftism is like :decorum: personified.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Straight White Shark posted:

I know several people that have done it. The most reliable track in is to have multiple advanced degrees (or comparably demanding skillsets.) If a company wants to hire someone to do X, they'll have a hard time getting permission to import a foreigner to do it because there are probably loads of French people who can do X, but if they need someone who can do X and Y that's a much narrower talent pool and they'll usually get the go ahead to hire someone in.
My impression is that internal transfers from a US office to an EU office, at least, are pretty easy/straightforward if you meet the blue card salary requirements. I didn't have to prove I was some super special worker or anything to go from the bay area to Munich. Compared to the dystopian nightmare that is the H1B/green card acquisition process it was actually very nice and welcoming overall.

snergle posted:

Seattle is full of tech bro libertarians and nazis though?
It's full of neither of these things.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

This is presumably the line of thought that ends up with 40 million uninsured Americans.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Accidents don't happen to people younger than 40 years old in the US? Also cancer immunity? No hereditary diseases?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love how important mid-level it dudes think they are

you are not important

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The gently caress this means?!?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

Accidents don't happen to people younger than 40 years old in the US? Also cancer immunity? No hereditary diseases?

Also childbirth is still somewhat common in that age group.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

If you're just out for healtchare wouldn't it be waaaaay easier to just move to Canada? Or possibly an English-speaking country like Britain, Australia or NZ?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

If you're just out for healtchare wouldn't it be waaaaay easier to just move to Canada? Or possibly an English-speaking country like Britain, Australia or NZ?

I have explicitly stated that it is not about healthcare. I mean, I favor universal healthcare and all, and living someplace where I wouldn't have to rely on my job for healthcare would be really nice, but it's not the main reason, or even all that much of a consideration.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah man speaking as an american who went to school in Canada and speaks fluent french you are not leaving the country.

Take Hegel as a guide and get a phd in Pikeology.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Take Hegel as a guide and get a phd in Pikeology.
i mean i'm not important either but at least i can stab people now

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think countries publish lists of what skills they want immigrants to have.

Maybe France really needs like Welders or some poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HEY GUNS posted:

i mean i'm not important either but at least i can stab people now

France actually does have a track for immigrants who are real good at fighting...

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Randarkman posted:

I'm explicitly in it for healthcare. And I like Canada.

thanks randarkman

lol @ moving to Australia though. The purpose is to get good healthcare, not to be immediately killed by venomous crocodile spiders

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
OP as a guy who has lived and worked in France on and off a few times over the years, I'm afraid that I have to repeat what others have been saying in that your plan seems unlikely to succeed. As has been said, France is pretty hard on immigrants, especially those who don't speak French drat near perfectly. You'll have to jump through endless hoops for every little thing, from getting a bank account to signing up for electricity.

I speak French at the near-native level and honestly I'm still not sure how I managed to get through some of those hoops. I remember at the bank being told that I couldn't open up a checking account without having a document that you basically could only get if you had a checking account or had a sponsor. In the end, I basically just begged the dude to help me out and oddly enough he did.

I could go on and on about the French bureaucracy for quite some time but one important thing (and I can't stress this enough) is that you don't speak excellent French or have someone who can basically do a lot of poo poo for you, you are gonna have a hell of a hard time. French people don't speak English nearly as well as other Europeans and even when they do, they often chose not to do so.

Finally, if you really are serious and really really want to try this out for a year or two, you can always try taking a lecteur position at a French University to teach English if you have a Masters degree. This path may not even be possible if you don't have a current professional affiliation with a university though. Even if you do get the job, it sucks hard, the pay is awful and the vaunted health care isn't something that you are going to easily access for years unless you get lucky.

I'd rethink this plan if I were you. Becoming an expat of any sort is likely to make your life much harder, not easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Giggle Goose posted:

I'd rethink this plan if I were you. Becoming an expat of any sort is likely to make your life much harder, not easier.

I want to echo this for the OP and in general.

I’m a white jew who speaks english and french as mother languages (france french not québécois but still) and did most of my schooling in Canada. I was as desireable an immigrant as could be to the shittiest most xenophobic canadian, and going from the US to Canada is definitely among the least culturally stressful migrations possible.

But eventually it got too much and I went home. I desperately miss my other home up north but godDAM it is easier to breathe knowing I don’t have to worry about all the things I used to have to worry about.

And then you mention France as your idea destination bc you took it in high school, hooooo boy. I learned to read in french before english but my cousins in Alsace still make fun of my accent.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 12, 2018

• Locked thread