Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tweet #regff6fcc to @FF5ForFutures to get your party assignment.

Here's my result:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1076218019523805184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got Terra, Gau, Mog, and Strago. Well, all right. Guess I'm hunting for all the tedious skills.

By the way does anyone know the end date?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kheldarn posted:

Tweet #regff6fcc to @FF5ForFutures to get your party assignment.

Here's my result:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1076218019523805184

that's pretty solid

I got Celes, Setzer Mog, and Relm which I'm pretty stoked on all things considered, Mog will be very useful

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
YOUR PARTY IS Edgar, Sabin, Celes, Setzer! ENJOY!

Even in a game that's hard to make hard, that's an easy mode party

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Locke, Edgar, Cyan, and Setzer.

Guess I need to buy a billion echo screens.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I got Sabin, Cyan, Celes, Relm

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Edgar, Sabin, Gau, Shadow

Should be simple enough if I bother actually playing it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Terra Cyan Strago Realm.

...no thanks?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
YOUR PARTY IS Locke, Setzer, Mog, Gogo! ENJOY!

Quite the rogues gallery.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Gau, Shadow, Strago, Umaro

It's been 15 years since I've played this, but maybe this time I can find out what makes Gau so broken. But since I can't control him, I guess I won't be able to solo with him until the rest come along, though?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Terra Cyan Strago Realm.

...no thanks?

Ah what the heck. I have just enough steam credit for the game on sale, and that version makes Cyan's bushido useable. Terra's fine even without magic, haven't a clue what to do with Strago and Realm though. Never really looked into how useful Strago's lores are, various FF games that sort of thing is either busted-good or busted-bad.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Ah what the heck. I have just enough steam credit for the game on sale, and that version makes Cyan's bushido useable. Terra's fine even without magic, haven't a clue what to do with Strago and Realm though. Never really looked into how useful Strago's lores are, various FF games that sort of thing is either busted-good or busted-bad.

Lores are pretty meh. You might be able to pull some death by math shenanigans but otherwise it's a bunch of a fairly expensive aoe damage spells culminating in one that's basically half an ultima.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Lores are pretty meh. You might be able to pull some death by math shenanigans but otherwise it's a bunch of a fairly expensive aoe damage spells culminating in one that's basically half an ultima.

Yeah, it's kinda balls to get handed the games pure mages and told "don't use magic". I'm currently musing on what could be a fair magic loadout for them, though really if I just did what I usually do in the games and use espers for spells without paying any heed to the stats they give on levelup, nothing's gonna end up really broken anyway. Just on those two and keep Terra to natural magic.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm running natural magic on Celes, no magicite

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turns out you can't even really pull death by math because discord doesn't work on anything immune to death.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

YOUR PARTY IS Terra, Cyan, Mog, Shadow! ENJOY!

Am I boned?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

YOUR PARTY IS Sabin, Cyan, Gau, Shadow! ENJOY!

This is fine, actually. Cyan isn't that great but someone has to be the item bot

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Locke, Cyan, Setzer, Shadow

...My new headcanon is that Clyde and Baram were gay so that this can be Team "A bunch of dudes mourning their dead lovers"

Wait. Were Setzer and Daryl actually romantically involved? Whatever, they are now.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Cattail Prophet posted:

...My new headcanon is that Clyde and Baram were gay so that this can be Team "A bunch of dudes mourning their dead lovers"

Wait. Were Setzer and Daryl actually romantically involved? Whatever, they are now.

Team Refrigerator

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

It was implied but not too heavily. They had a special cliff and all but like most characters in 6, it wasn't explored deeply. They could've just been friends that loved airship racing but it's a jrpg from the mid 90s so I'm leaning towards lovers.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I always got the impression that he had feelings for her but never acted on it. Hence rearranging his life around very complicated romantic gestures toward women he has a thing for.

Bruceski posted:

Ah what the heck. I have just enough steam credit for the game on sale, and that version makes Cyan's bushido useable.

Just to be clear the Matrix version makes Bushido usable but nothing can make it good. He's still almost always better off just hitting things.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

YOUR PARTY IS Terra, Cyan, Mog, Shadow! ENJOY!

Am I boned?

Shadow gets to Throw, which does a ton of damage and ignores defenses

Mog gets the Moogle Charm which owns. Put on a good shield, the Snow Scarf, and Back Row him and he is actually unkillable and can Jump on things all day with a spear.

Terra gets all the good weapons and armor and will hit like a truck when she Morphs

Cyan can at least wear anything Terra doesn't and can follow her when you have to split your party and throw items. His level 1 Bushido is at least more damaging than a standard attack

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm trying to think of the worst party for this challenge. The best I've got is Setzer, Locke, Relm and Cyan. Any other contenders?

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Relm, Cyan and Umaro are probably the worst characters for the run; everyone else can pretty much tear the game up if they try.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How do Sketch or Control stack up as abilities? And does she get anything else for commands, since those are based on the FF5 Beastmaster?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

How do Sketch or Control stack up as abilities? And does she get anything else for commands, since those are based on the FF5 Beastmaster?

Sketch has the issue that a lot of enemies are strong against their own abilities, and they tend to have weak stats compared to PCs because they're working on completely different scales. Control just gives you more options some of which may be useable.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I completely forgot this was going to be a thing. I briefly considered skipping this one (FF6 is one of my all-time favorite games, but it's also one that I've played so many times that the charm has just about worn off) but in the end decided to jump on this wagon. Just signed up and got a team of Terra/Celes/Gau/Setzer, I can work with this.

That said, now it's a choice of which version to play. I still have my old GBA cart and a GBA player for my GameCube, maybe I could go with that. Don't know if a rom would be too doable given that emuparadise is dead now. And Steam/mobile version gets a big gently caress NO. Decisions!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Despite some sound issues, the resolution being slightly off and slowdown in combat, I personally feel the GBA version is definitive. If they had done the character sprites in the same style as enemies, I.E. just "more HD" then the Steam version might've taken that mantle.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

ultrafilter posted:

I'm trying to think of the worst party for this challenge. The best I've got is Setzer, Locke, Relm and Cyan. Any other contenders?

Setzer's got RNG potential as long as you have the Fixed Dice, and those don't rely on any stat of his except his level for determining damage. If you want to abuse bugs for this challenge the Echo Screen Joker Doom thing can carry you also

Worst party is probably something like Relm, Umaro, Cyan, Gogo since that means basically zero good commands to give the Mime. Control on Relm could be useful though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Fixed Dice are great once you get them, but you have to go through a lot of game before then.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Well, you can make a run on Kefkas tower as soon as you have the airship, he can use the regular dice and the Doom Darts before that

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gau... is good.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Terra, Cyan, Setzer, Umaro.

I already decided I'm doing natural magic so Terra's good. Setzer will be godlike in the end game but meh until then. Umaro is just a berserker, I get one of those in V every year. Cyan is pretty Bluh.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Incidentally, Cyan does a lot better in the iOS/Steam version - and not just because he can charge Bushido while others act. Kazekiri + Dragon Horn setup is no longer negatively bugged (he still disappears, but gets his turn as per normal), while the positive bug is still there.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Made it to the WOR and got Setzer online. I just need to pick up a Snow Scarf for Mog and I should be clear though to the end as long as Relm+Mog can kill bosses

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Currently sitting outside Jidoor on my way to Zozo, and so far I'm 3 for 3 on triggering ShadowLenna's nightmares. I'm taking this as a good omen for the run.

I've already decided that this challenge is worth it, because I've never really engaged with Throw in VI before, and it looks like Shadow can pull off basically all the same poo poo that V's ninjas can, minus the innate dual wield. Haven't had a chance to play around with him too much yet, but scrolls with double earrings sounds pretty spicy, for instance. I also totally blanked that Relm's mother is obviously also dead, so I guess Clyde and Baram don't need to be lovers anymore.

Locke/Shadow/Cyan/Setzer is actually proving a surprisingly balanced party so far in terms of availability. I'm not looking forward to early WoR, though. At least the other dorks will get their levels re-averaged so I hopefully won't get completely massacred on the way to Kohlingen, but solo Setzer against Dullahan is going to be, uh, interesting. Might have to loosen my guidelines for sticking to the challenge for that fight.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I've been using the minimum characters as they are available, so I did Dullahan with C-E-S then collected Mog, then ground CSM to 48 or so then picked up Relm

I don't know how you're gonna Solo Kill Dullahan with Setzer outside JokerDeath though

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Done and done, Relm was less useful than I hoped she'd be but she was good at chucking items. I got unlucky and got hit with Ultima after Heartless Angel but got him down on the second try even without Mog.

Guess I'll register a new one

E: Second party Terra Cyan Celes Setzer

mp5 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 30, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I managed to beat my run a while ago. Let me provide some advice for the characters I was using, maybe it will help.

Terra

I won't lie, using Terra without magic is extremely underwhelming. She has a lot of trouble keeping herself healthy in the early stages, the big stopping point really being the Vargas fight on Mt. Koltz. You want to buy tons of items but only heal outside of battle since you can't spare anything else. She can handle the Lethe River fine because you can't kill off Banon so abusing his heal is kind of required by deisgn. A good option for damage for her early on is the Rune Edge - it uses your MP to do guaranteed critical hits, and since you're not using magic, what else is your MP useful for? Combine with the Gauntlet for maximum hilarity. Later on for safety she can shift to dual-wielding Morning Stars in the back row. Once she gets Morph she can fight more effectively, but at that point she'll have more characters to help out so it shouldn't be too difficult. Great person to hold the Illumina late-game, which ALSO does MP Crits and is I guess back row safe, which I never knew before?

Gau

You NEED to take the time to fill out Gau's skills. He should have reliable damage for the main elements at his disposal, especially against a fight that almost completely tripped me up - Ifrit and Shiva, who cannot be rushed down with Stray Cat because of their multi-targeting spells hitting a single person and doing twice the damage. Marshal is the best early-game rage for Wind Slash which hits all enemies and trivializes everything in the Vector part of the game except for the boss I just mentioned. Later on you can get more reliable options. Luridan on Mt. Zozo in the World of Ruin is the best single-targeting damage you can get. Behemoth from the Floating Continent gets the always-reliable Meteor. Chickenlips can give Quake which is very strong and with Gaia Gear you can make it a party heal as well. Upgrade from Wind Slash to Aero with the Harpiai monster found outside Kolinghen in the World of Ruin. Gau can also get the Snow Muffler armor which is insanely strong defensively - bet a Behemoth Suit at the Coliseum for it, which you can get infinite of since the Behemoth King boss shows up on the Veldt.

Mog

Dance is bad. There, I said it. With a party like mine, I did not need half of it running on autopilot all the drat time. If you like control over your characters like me, you'll make Mog into a Dragoon. As the only character besides Edgar that uses spears, he can nearly get the maximum benefit from it, though the Dragon Horn to make it truly ridiculous comes a bit later in the game at the Phoenix Cave. You can also squeeze some arena bets into getting yourself a Pearl/Holy Lance early (or at all, thanks to magic forbidden not allowing any Holy Dragon kills) which will be fairly useful, though you'll want to keep a non-elemental one handy for the late-game bosses that absorb it. One of the final Statues bosses drops an Aura Lance which is better but at that point you've only got the final gauntlet left. Real classy, game. Mog can also use the Snow Muffler, so get one for him too. Otherwise he's pretty vanilla and was designated Item Thrower in the late-game as well. And of course the convenience of the Moogle Charm cannot be understated.

Strago

As the only one allowed to use magic in the party, Strago benefitted the most from the Gold Hairpin relic to halve MP cost. Otherwise I think he would have been too unwieldy to use regularly. He's not breaking the world over his shoulders, but Pearl/White Wind is really handy as the only way for me to actually get real healing done on the party. Aqua Rake did okay damage for where you get it, and can later be supplanted by Aero and then Grand Train/Delta. He can also get Big/Mighty Guard if you choose to borrow Relm for a short period to sketch a monster, though Shell and Protect don't make an extremely huge difference in this game. Otherwise, Strago's usability is not too high outside of his lores. The rods do okay damage all things considered and can cover the main elements if you find anyone weak to them. Beat the Earth Dragon for the Magus Rod in the World of Ruin quickly to get the most out of him, and as a bonus, Gaia Gear which is buyable at Thamasa World of Balance will make it trivial. Probably the best person on the team to carry the Paladin Shield.

For everyone, Earrings makes magical attacks better, which is Strago and Gau's bread and butter. A Hero Ring each can also make their physical attacks better. I kept the Gauntlet on Terra almost the whole game - Offering is really underwheming without something that can ignore normal damage calculations and I didn't really want to grind the levels to get the Atma Weapon there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Does Haste have an effect other than 25% evade? My character with Hermes Sandals seems to be charging the same speed as everyone else.