Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bruceski posted:

Does Haste have an effect other than 25% evade? My character with Hermes Sandals seems to be charging the same speed as everyone else.

Yes, it's about a 30% boost toward ATB bar filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Alxprit posted:

Great person to hold the Illumina late-game, which ALSO does MP Crits and is I guess back row safe, which I never knew before?

Look at this guy using Illumina which you can't get without Locke in the party :smug:

nbd man I used Natural Magic with my Celes and intend to do so with my second run

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Bruceski posted:

Does Haste have an effect other than 25% evade? My character with Hermes Sandals seems to be charging the same speed as everyone else.

The Speed stat actually sort of does something in this game so if you give Hermes Sandals to a really slow character they may still get outsped by someone like Shadow or Locke

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

mp5 posted:

Look at this guy using Illumina which you can't get without Locke in the party :smug:

nbd man I used Natural Magic with my Celes and intend to do so with my second run

As far as I'm concerned if it doesn't involve a battle I can borrow them. :colbert:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I collected my characters but grinding the levels to be able to do Kefka's tower is daunting. I remembered dinosaur forest being more exp than it is

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just in case anyone is collecting lores and didn't know, the Lv 3/4/5 Confuse/Flare/Doom are learnable even if they miss everyone. I just punched a goblin a few times on the floating continent, it counters with one at random when solo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think the best part of this challenge is getting to do choices I'd never make in a normal playthrough. Bye-bye Mog, I want that hairpin! So long Shadow, your daughter needs your dog.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strago/Gogo only have to see the Lore used, including if comes from a Rage or Relm. Very nice QoL change from V.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Strago/Gogo only have to see the Lore used, including if comes from a Rage or Relm. Very nice QoL change from V.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure until now if a fizzled Lv X Whatever would count as seen.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Crap. I forgot Gogo can use Lore and/or Rage. That's a lot of grinding. I don't really feel like unlocking him, though.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah and by the time you get gogo your Seen Monster pool has gone way up compared to when you can start grinding Rages with Gau so it’s harder to find the good stuff like Stray Cat and such

Though tbh getting Gogo a Magic Urn rage might be useful enough to still go for it

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Fun fact: If you're playing the SNES version with the Evade bug, preventing Lores from being learned is all Dark actually does.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Prism posted:

Fun fact: If you're playing the SNES version with the Evade bug, preventing Lores from being learned is all Dark actually does.

:psyduck: I was not aware of this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This game is basically coded like Pokémon Blue: The code is a mess of bugs and it shouldn't work but it does, so...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:psyduck: I was not aware of this.

Kheldarn posted:

This game is basically coded like Pokémon Blue: The code is a mess of bugs and it shouldn't work but it does, so...

Pretty much. FF6 is buggy, but not (usually, Sketch bug excepted) in a crashy way, so it just keeps going on. Dark should cut your hit rate with physical attacks in half, and give other people +25% to hit you with physical attacks - but in the SNES version all accuracy checks are accidentally magic accuracy checks, so this doesn't actually happen.

You should also be 25% easier to hit under Zombie, Muddle, and Life 3/Reraise, and 25% harder to hit under Haste and Near Fatal (acquired by being under 1/8th your max HP; it's what gives you the kneeling sprite), but none of these affect magic accuracy so you're not.

Edit: due to more fun with coding, being under 1/8th HP is not the only way to be Near Fatal. Rippler trades that even though it's not supposed to, though Near Fatal corrects itself pretty quickly since it checks everybody's HP for that 1/8th benchmark every time anyone's HP is modified at all. Other status effects that Rippler isn't supposed to swap but can are harder to fix... like the hidden 'has Interceptor' flag. Hope you don't lose that forever by trading statuses with an enemy!

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 1, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So did v1.1 fix any of these issues, or did it just add more?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I think that only fixed the Sketch bug. Definitely not any of the Evade issues. GBA did some fixes as well.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kheldarn posted:

SNES 1.0 fixed (and 'fixed') several Japanese-only bugs. The 'fixed' one is the Optimum glitch that does weird things if the 256th item slot has something in it; SNES 1.0 'fixed' it by making the item list have 255 entries, but the Sketch bug can still put something there and it can be triggered that way. It also fixed the rats in the opera house (if you don't kill them all in the WoB you can die to one in the WoR and get kicked out to the WoB map), which I think is the only major bug that was removed English-side.

It also added several mostly irrelevant bugs, such as the weird yellow line in Gogo's skill list (it's his portrait bleeding through; the portrait was in a different place in the SFC version so it didn't do that) and some oddities with magic sorting, since the SFC does it in three columns instead of two.

SNES 1.1 fixed the Sketch bug (and nothing else) and added no new bugs.

The PSX version is mostly the SNES 1.1 version but adds a bunch of bugs ranging from purely graphical (the sine-wave effects on things like Demi go straight) to serious (enemy AI checks for incorrect statuses). It also fixes a couple, like Step Mine's cost display, which got confused when the middle digit should have been a zero on all SFC/SNES versions.

I don't know what the GBA version changed, as I have never played it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_bugs_and_glitches#Final_Fantasy_VI

Notably, the GBA version introduced the Level Reset Glitch; this allows you to, in theory, completely max out every stat for every character. If you had that kinda time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finished my Sabin, Celes, Relm, Cyan run.

I was able to clear out all the bosses in Kefka's tower around level 50, although I ran through the tower a couple of extra times with shuffled around parties to get the right characters to the right bosses. Kefka was a wall at that level so I warped out and spent a few hours in the dinosaur forest getting everyone to 70 and then was able to demolish everything.

The section of the boss before the final Kefka killed Celes and Sabin so I finished Kefka with Cyan (Genji Glove+Offering) and Relm (Merit Award+Genji Glove) which has to be the most embarrassing way for Kefka to lose.

I used Celes' natural magic, but mostly just Cure

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Second run down, Terra, Celes, Cyan, Setzer. I really felt Mog's absence, Kefka's Tower was fairly harder without him to bypass the worst of it.

I ended up over leveling and using Ultima Weapon and Masters Scroll because I sent my parties down the wrong paths and Boss Killer Setzer didn't go where I needed him

Party 3: Locke Sabin Celes Mog. I'm stoked to get access to the Paladin Shield and Lightbringer this time

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Pulled Locke, Edgar, Sabin and Mog, so at least I don't have to worry about going party-less (though that Thamasa stretch does not look like fun).

Thinking about it too but... how does one beat the Tunnel Armor sans Celes? Locke can't break the rod on him, can he?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

From Narshe until Thamasa (though your party is locked in for Vector) and then for the floating continent. Of course, your options are limited for most of that time with a few required characters here and there.

This isn't really going to work that well but whatever. I might just hack my party in or something, don't know if FF6's sanity checks are as thorough as CT's. Probably not because it's FF6.

Well, my assigned party is Terra, Celes, Shadow, and Gogo. For the hell of it, I decided to use Terra in my party to head to Zozo and find Terra. Everything went fine until it was time to form a new party and head to the Opera House. At that point, there were no characters available to form my party. And reloading my save, and backtracking to Narshe to remove Terra from my party ended with the same results. v:v:v

I ended up downloading a save that was parked right outside Zozo. Now things are going fine again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

agradine posted:

Pulled Locke, Edgar, Sabin and Mog, so at least I don't have to worry about going party-less (though that Thamasa stretch does not look like fun).

Thinking about it too but... how does one beat the Tunnel Armor sans Celes? Locke can't break the rod on him, can he?

Anyone with the Item command can break rods.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone with the Item command can break rods.

Good to know.

Also I'm jealous of anyone who got Umaro.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've been going through using the Beyond Chaos randomizer, after the vanilla game left me a little bored. It's the same one that liquidypoo did an LP of last year but there have been several updates to the randomizer since then. I may do a write up on the end of the run when I get there, I just arrived in the WoR by the skin of my teeth.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been going through using the Beyond Chaos randomizer, after the vanilla game left me a little bored. It's the same one that liquidypoo did an LP of last year but there have been several updates to the randomizer since then. I may do a write up on the end of the run when I get there, I just arrived in the WoR by the skin of my teeth.

are you using the normal party members or just using whatever randomized person you get at the point you would unlock that person? I've messed around with BC a little but never stuck with any seed I spun up

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mp5 posted:

are you using the normal party members or just using whatever randomized person you get at the point you would unlock that person? I've messed around with BC a little but never stuck with any seed I spun up

I'm using the characters that would be my party (Cyan, Sabin, Shadow, Gau) in the vanilla game but they're randomized as normal by the program. Shadow just happened to roll up as vanilla skills but Sabin has Fight, W-Wind*, Runic and Items. He's also a random sprite, pulled from a selection of about 300 that the community has added. DragoonBoots in this seed turn Magic into the Rage command, which REALLY opens up my possibilities.

"This does two Wind based skills, like Air Blade, Sandstorm, Wind Slash etc.

EDIT:

quote:

R-Geo
-------
Use a random geomancer-type Dance move.
Equal chance of any of the following:
Antlion, Cave In, El Nino, Elf Fire, Harvester, Land Slide, Plasma, Rage, Sand Storm, Snare, Snowball, Sonic Boom, Specter, Sun Bath, Surge, Wind Slash

quote:

W-Wind
-------
2 times, use a random wind-elemental skill.

(2/8 chance each) Air Blade, Gale Cut, Sand Storm
(1/8 chance each) Aero, Wind Slash

W-Wind is really nice to have against things weak to Wind but holy hell I've had to deal with a lot of Wind Immune/Absorb enemies and bosses.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 3, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

agradine posted:

Having just done solo Locke through that stretch, I wouldn't worry about it. Late WoB Locke has frankly ridiculous equipment options: elemental swords for exploiting weaknesses, hawkeyes for a back row option that packs a punch, assassin's dagger to fish for death procs, and you can steal a blood sword off Number 024 if you're worried about survivability. He can also get some decent evade stacking going by this point if you're playing a version where evade does something.

I'm pretty sure I killed Flame Eater in about 4 hits dual wielding icebrands. E: The second icebrand is Number 024's rare drop, but you don't even really need it.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 3, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm enjoying Locke in my run so far (Locke/Edgar/Cyan/Setzer) but I'm also not out of the WoB yet - getting him with only three peeps is gonna suck. But the Hawkeye is stupid powerful, going backrow with Genji + Black Belt + 2x Hawkeye is insanely good.

I usually hate him so it's a nice change.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Poque posted:

I'm enjoying Locke in my run so far (Locke/Edgar/Cyan/Setzer) but I'm also not out of the WoB yet - getting him with only three peeps is gonna suck. But the Hawkeye is stupid powerful, going backrow with Genji + Black Belt + 2x Hawkeye is insanely good.

I usually hate him so it's a nice change.

I had the same team and getting him with three people wasn't too terrible. However I also had fixed dice + offering for Setzer, Edgar had a pearl lance + dragon horn & boots, and cyan uh...cyan healed setzer.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

MagusDraco posted:

I had the same team and getting him with three people wasn't too terrible. However I also had fixed dice + offering for Setzer, Edgar had a pearl lance + dragon horn & boots, and cyan uh...cyan healed setzer.

Isn't the Dragon Horn in the Phoenix Cave?

In any case, I'm also not too concerned about that section thanks to having Mog.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

agradine posted:

Isn't the Dragon Horn in the Phoenix Cave?

In any case, I'm also not too concerned about that section thanks to having Mog.

There's a dragon horn in the colosseum. You bet your gold hairpin (which you will not be using since this is a no magic run) and very quickly beat up a great malboro

edit: I guess you could bet a charm bangle as well but that's still kinda useful if you don't have Mog

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 3, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

gently caress, I'm reaching the end of my run, and not needing most of the endgame gear I'm sitting on due to only using a third of the cast + the coliseum allowing me to turn that endgame gear into different endgame gear + merit award + no magic encouraging weird builds like healing rod Shadow (farming elixirs sucks rear end) = serious analysis paralysis. Knowing that I could do a bunch of in battle hotswapping if I wanted to be super micromanage-y about it isn't helping either.

And then I need to split my four dudes into three more or less self sufficient parties, too.

Please send help.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

gently caress, I'm reaching the end of my run, and not needing most of the endgame gear I'm sitting on due to only using a third of the cast + the coliseum allowing me to turn that endgame gear into different endgame gear + merit award + no magic encouraging weird builds like healing rod Shadow (farming elixirs sucks rear end) = serious analysis paralysis. Knowing that I could do a bunch of in battle hotswapping if I wanted to be super micromanage-y about it isn't helping either.

And then I need to split my four dudes into three more or less self sufficient parties, too.

Please send help.

May I interest you in dino forest, just a quick airship ride north of the Veldt and you too can power level your way to lvl 70 while grinding out a paladin's shield while holding down speed up and laughing until you run into a t-rex pincer attack or a brachiosaur. Those will kill you until you get some levels.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pfft, I ground out my pally shield having Locke and Shadow thief knife peepers to death under speed up.

...I only got about 20 elixirs by the time the shield was uncursed. And with the power of the merit award, every party can do this, too!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Pfft, I ground out my pally shield having Locke and Shadow thief knife peepers to death under speed up.

...I only got about 20 elixirs by the time the shield was uncursed. And with the power of the merit award, every party can do this, too!

I tried going for elixirs and megalixers but it was too much trouble so just killed dinosaurs for levels instead. Not sure I needed to grind as hard as I did though. I had it pretty easy with my team of Edgar, Locke, and Setzer...Cyan was there too I guess.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Please send help.

do you actually need help setting up your team for the tower or what

you've got Locke, Cyan, Setzer and Shadow?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Nah I'll be fine, that post was mostly fueled by frustration at accidentally betting something I didn't mean to and having to reload a save and try to retrace my steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's a new FF5 SNES ROM hack called Project Demi that removes most cutscenes and adds an encounter toggle. The plans are to use this as a basis for a full fledged open world/randomizer hack like Free Enterprise for FF4.

Should be handy for the fiesta!