Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kimetsu No Yaiba (Blade of the Demon Slayer) is a 2016 manga in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Mangaka - Gotouge Koyoharu

This is Koyoharu's first published work in Weekly Jump, and if you're reading this as of 2020 it has exploded to the point of eclipsing One Piece in sales in 2019 and 2020!

Premise - In Taisho Era Japan (a very short-lived era that lasted from 1912-1926) Kamado Tanjirou makes a living making and selling charcoal with his mother and 5 siblings. One day Tanjirou ventures into town to sell charcoal and ends up accepting a kind offer from one of the villagers to stay the night when a snowstorm passes through. He returns to find his family slaughtered, with his sister Nezuko being the only survivor. Unfortunately for Tanjirou the perpetrator of the slaughter was a demon and having survived being mauled Nezuko has now become one herself! A mysterious swordsman appears and attempts to slay Nezuko to save Tanjirou, but Tanjirou interferes to protect his sister and in the fracas it turns out Nezuko hasn't fully become a blood-starved monster. The swordsman directs him to a strange mentor- where Tanjirou decides on his quest:

Become a proper Demon Slayer, and return his sister to her human form by slaying the source of the demonic blood corruption.

Characters:

Kamado Tanjirou is a very good boy. On a quest to destroy the source of all demonic blood to free his sister, he is a new recruit to the ranks of the Demon Slaying Corps. Tanjirou is possessed of impressive stamina from his training and lifetime of lugging baskets of coal up and down a mountain, a nearly preternatual sense of smell, a cast-iron skull, and an impossibly kind heart that holds a deep empathy for all who suffer- even the demons he slays. All demon slayers are trained in a "breath", which is a particular breathing and sword combat style that tends to reflect their personalities and lets them empower themselves to be able to trade blows with immortal, inhumanly strong demons. Tanjirou has been trained in the Breath of Water style.

Kamado Nezuko is Tanjirou's sister and the only survivor of the demon attack that claimed their family. Still possessing a human heart, Nezuko has overcome the desire to consume human blood and flesh that plagues all those turned into demons. Her utter refusal to harm her brother or indulge in her hunger has oddly seemed to have made her stronger; she is possessed of titanic strength and speed that matches that of high-class demons which she uses to great effect in utterly pulverizing them with her bare hands and feet, as well as the ability to set her own blood ablaze with a cleansing flame. She has to spend extensive amounts of time asleep (in a special box Tanjirou carries on his back to stay out of the sun) between her exertions however, and wears a bindle to both hide her fangs and help restrain any lingering desire to consume blood.

Tomioka Giyuu is the Pillar of Water for the Demon Slaying Corps. Pillars are the strongest and highest ranked Demon Slayers for their particular breath style. While seemingly cold and aloof, Giyuu decides to spare Nezuko when he realizes she was able to resist the urge to consume human flesh and blood and sets Tanjirou on his quest to become of the Corps.

Agatsuma Zenitsu is a flighty, neurotic, girl-obsessed coward. Essentially dragged into training as a Demon Slayer, Zenitsu is constantly wailing about how his days are numbered in the face of the incredible dangers of the gig to the point everyone questions why the hell he's even a Demon Slayer at all. When pushed into a corner to the point his rational mind gives up and his unconscious ability takes over, Zenitsu demonstrates power and speed that borders on the god-like using his Breath of Lightning. Despite being so eccentric Zenitsu is also kinder than he looks, and has fallen head over heels for Nezuko despite the fact she is a demon herself. He also possesses perfect pitch and hearing on par with that of an animal. He travels with Tanjirou partially out of his obsession with Nezuko but also because of the fact that Tanjirou tolerates his presence and is particularly reliable to hide behind.

Hashibira Inosuke is basically an animal in human skin. A wildling that lived on his own in the mountains until being taught the bare bones of basic civility and language by a couple villagers who live near his mountain, Inosuke likes nothing more than a good fight and what can provide a more enjoyable fight than literal inhuman monsters? Inosuke uses a self-taught Breath of the Beast style and fights with dual katana with intentionally ragged edges to simulate serrated blades. He is never found without wearing his favorite article of clothing- a boars' head mask which he uses to conceal his face, which is beautiful and relatively feminine by the standards of most everyone who manages to see it and live. He follows Tanjirou partially because he considers Tanjirou and Zenitsu his underlings, but also because they seem to be a reliable source of enjoyable battles with powerful demons.

Kibutsuji Muzan is the progenitor of all demons and his abilities surpass the inhuman and preternatural. Possessed of seemingly endless human forms he uses as disguises he has existed for hundreds of years. His goals are shrouded in mystery, and being possessed of an odd paranoia he surrounds himself with the most powerful demons in creation- his Demon Moons; demons who have managed to withstand tremendous infusions of his corrupted blood and having consumed great amounts of human flesh.

Why Read It?
While the premise checks all the cliche boxes short of being set in the warring states period, Kimetsu no Yaiba is just solid as hell. Good pacing, creepy villains (Muzan is legitimately one of the most terrifying villains in the magazine currently), great monster designs, funny comedy, solid action, strong emotional moments, and very strong character writing. Kimetsu's world is grim and there's plenty of body horror, but it never feels flat out depressing or oppressive. Gotouge somehow utterly nails having a protagonist that is lovable, kind-hearted, and empathetic but also believably badass, and the supporting cast is great too. The series manages to pull off a "monster of the week" feel where there's always a new enemy to fight while also maintaining character and plot development- each conflict feels important and progresses either the plot or character development. There's not a lot of fat on the bones of the story, even with its digressions like training/recovery arcs. The art is pretty stylized but if you keep on reading you'll see how talented Gotouge is- Give it a shot!

:10bux: KIMETSU NO YAIBA HAS FINALLY BEEN PICKED UP BY VIZ AND OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED VOLUMES STARTED DROPPING JULY OF 2018. IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO BUY STUFF TO SUPPORT THE INDUSTRY AND THE CREATION OF SERIES YOU LIKE! :10bux:
https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Slayer-Kimetsu-Yaiba-Vol/dp/1974700526/

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There is now an anime!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886585

It's being done by UFOtable, so unless they suck at scheduling/staffing this go around (which is NOT looking to be the case) it's gonna be good.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 7, 2019

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think the main villain will be superseded by a bigger bad

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Inosuke is the best character in shonen jump.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really like how inosuke doing his thing always elicits shrieks of terror in every civilian nearby

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i also really like how all the girls get crushes on tanjirou because of how sweet and kind and helpful he is during downtime, rather than the shounen staple of big dramatic rescues during fight scenes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

everythingWasBees posted:

Inosuke is the best character in shonen jump.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

More bulging veins than a bodybulding comp

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You called Nezuko Tanjirou's brother in the OP.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mraagvpeine posted:

You called Nezuko Tanjirou's brother in the OP.
Bah. Fixed.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a cool comic with cool art and very wierd monsters.

Good comedy and friendly weirdness and it's really wholesome despite its dire stakes.

Really recommend it!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like how Tanjirou never gives up :hai:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the beginning is pretty rough but I'm glad I stuck with it because yaiba's a pretty cool shonen series

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Muzan is a pretty cool villain because he feels a lot like an actualized person despite checking a ton of cliche boxes. His paranoia and mood swings feel very...real I guess?

Incidentally- the "Tanjirou is a good boy" thing isn't a joke. He's legitimately one of the nicest, most likable protagonists I've ever seen in WSJ. It's nice to see because generally WSJ protagonists are basically sociopaths with thankfully decent moral compasses. Tanjirou is so nice it's essentially almost a super power.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 22, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just started reading. Finished the first 2 volumes in like one hour. The art feels a bit rough, but it works for the battles so far. I like that, while Tanjiro has a good deal of "WSJ-MC traits" going for him, the work he has to put feels like it has a lot of weight to it. Like, the battles have an almost... shall we say, Araki-esque quality to them?

And yeah: Tanjirou is, so far, a good boy. :3:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I read it all in one go a while back and I only found out when this thread was posted that Koyoharu is a woman and suddenly the entire feel of the manga makes a lot more sense

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dungeon Meshi's mangaka is a woman as well.

As is the mangaka for Beastars, which just won a Taisho award.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 22, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
kodomo no jikan's as well

really makes you think

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not sure what you're thinking about here

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yaiba is a good series. I picked it up on a whim. It is probably my most reliable series in terms of always being entertaining, no matter what's going on in an issue. Action? Good! Downtime? Also good!

And the art style can get kinda quirky sometimes, which is just precious when it happens.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/999558378186620928

I'd be a bit surprised if it was an anime given that Himomaru Zoumo and The Promised Neverland just got announcements recently but hey.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kind of early for an anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What? No! No anime just yet, please. :pray:

Or if it gets an Anime, hopefully it's less like Black Clover and more like My Hero Academia (1 or 2 cour seasons). And tell studio Pierrot that unless they're bringing their A-game, to stay the hell away.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't believe it's getting cancelled

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Pierrot is probably out as far as studios go.

Your primary fear is Toei think.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kind of early for an anime

Is it? Yaiba has more chapters than Neverland which is getting one. Is there no good stopping point for a single/two cour season?

As long as it doesn't get the Black Clover treatment. Please no more super long running shonen anime unless it's Madhouse.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So after reading Neverland, which rules, I decided to give this a go, both of them because I just kind of wanted to read what the two ladies WSJ actually deigned to let in the clubhouse had. It's... been kind of boring so far. However, I've just added Zimetsu and Inosuke to the team, and in addition to being maniacs themselves they seem to be making Tanjirou more of a weirdo, so things are looking up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kimetsu takes time to spin up imo but after the main crew gets together it gets really good.

Also Yonkou says we've got an anime announcement coming.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the beginning is pretty bland but it's worth sticking with

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, the first few chapters are pretty loving brutal in that :stonk: way.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The opening really sets the tone for sure.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodyle posted:

So after reading Neverland, which rules, I decided to give this a go, both of them because I just kind of wanted to read what the two ladies WSJ actually deigned to let in the clubhouse had. It's... been kind of boring so far. However, I've just added Zimetsu and Inosuke to the team, and in addition to being maniacs themselves they seem to be making Tanjirou more of a weirdo, so things are looking up.

It kinda depends what you're looking for. The battles are definitely more "style over substance" than some other shounen, but the overall plot and characters are fun.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The monster designs are pretty top-notch creepy too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

something I appreciate about the fights is that it always feel like the good guys only win by the skin of their teeth. it helps keep the villains threatening

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

something I appreciate about the fights is that it always feel like the good guys only win by the skin of their teeth. it helps keep the villains threatening
I think so far the manga has done a really good job on the power scaling. The difference between the strength of the Pillars and the Tanjirou crew is extremely evident while not devaluing Tanjirou and crew, and when the top-tier badguys start showing up the Pillars get put on their back foot pretty fast while not feeling annoyingly dis-empowered- it's just clear the fight isn't in their favor rather than it feeling like the writing cheapened their presence.

The first real arc after the full crew gets together has the creepiest demons in the series IMO but that's mostly because I loving hate spiders.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Just finished catching up on this series after a couple years hiatus. It's still great!

I love how fast the pacing is, it's not a series that's afraid to have a few weeks pass in the space of a single page. And the character writing is just top notch. The plot is pretty basic shonen, but not in a bad way.

Inosuke is... the best.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime is being produced by Ufotable.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Alder posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime is being produced by Ufotable.
Provided it doesn't get dicked over on staff the same way Black Clover did (unlikely) that's a pretty good studio for it.

Key Visual from Yonkou:
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1002129022925524992

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's really hard to imagine ufotable botching the job as hard as studio pierrot did with black clover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's really hard to imagine ufotable botching the job as hard as studio pierrot did with black clover
Pierrot has the staff to do it right but they can't manage them for poo poo so seemingly randomly series they're working on will be horribly short staffed because they're getting pulled onto other projects. Black Clover I hear has started looking much better because it isn't understaffed anymore.

I'm surprised at Ufotable getting this series since don't they usually do game adaptations?