Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The big bad was a big baby

A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It might read a bit goofy, but I think my favorite part of this whole thing was the fact that Yushiro wore a lot of hats for that final battle. Please don't die, you dumb tsundere demon boy. :ohdear:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

The finale was fine, but the unfortunate crunch that happened to get there made it less impactful. It feels like a good hundred chapters of the story was cut out.

This is where I'm standing. That said if the rumors about the author are true I'm glad they got to finish the manga at all. I'm excited to see what they make if they ever come back.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

kimetsu no yaiba: not as disappointing as black clover

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm not sure if I prefer the 100 ch later version ending vs the rushed ending. Well, if they do S2 at least we know how it will all end.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

I'm not sure if I prefer the 100 ch later version ending vs the rushed ending. Well, if they do S2 at least we know how it will all end.

They'll be an S2. Too much money not to. Overall, I give the series a 7/10. Overall it was fun, but just too many things didn't get fleshed out and a lot of rather asspull powerups that even then didn't feel like they had any real impact.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there will have to be a s2, because the swole mice would be in that season. the universe demands it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

doomrider7 posted:

They'll be an S2. Too much money not to. Overall, I give the series a 7/10. Overall it was fun, but just too many things didn't get fleshed out and a lot of rather asspull powerups that even then didn't feel like they had any real impact.

I wonder if they'll take interest in adding some extra arcs to the show that didn't make it to the manga with the author's blessing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if they'll take interest in adding some extra arcs to the show that didn't make it to the manga with the author's blessing.
Depends on how Goutoge's doing after getting evicted (?) by her parents.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Depends on how Goutoge's doing after getting evicted (?) by her parents.

That's baseless rumor mongering, please don't parrot it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

That's baseless rumor mongering, please don't parrot it.
I was unsure if that was true or not, sorry.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Stole this post from somewhere else,

quote:

Some couple confirmations, image spoilers are in for Chapter 205.

Tanjiro and Kanao hooked up, their descendants are a carbon copy of Tanjiro and a gender-bent Kanao, they are brothers, the Tanjiro clone is named Sumihiko Kamado and the Kanao boy clone is named Kanata Kamado.

Zenitsu and Nezuko hooked up, their descendants are a carbon copy of Nezuko and black-haired Zenitsu, they are siblings, Touko Agatsuma is her name, Yoshiteru Agatsuma is his name.

Inosuke's descendant is not part of the new group, in here he is older than everyone, he is a young botanist, the one who finally discovered the Blue Spider Lily, however he is currently being lambasted by the press for mishandling the flower samples, they withered; also his personality is completely different to that of Inosuke, he is meek young man.

Giyu, Sabito and Makomo might have reincarnated since the Giyu-looking child is named as such, they are seen in the street talking as Sumihiko pass by them.

Since the Rengoku boy is named Toujuro he might be Senjuro's descendant, instead of a full blown Kyojuro reincarnation.

Yushiro is alive to this very day, he spends his days painting Tamayo to keep her image alive, he made several paintings, it is shown Tamayo has reincarnated, she is currently a young girl.

Kyojuro's Gaiden one-shot is announced btw.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

Stole this post from somewhere else,
gently caress this poo poo, Nezuko got knocked up by Zenitsu and not Sanemi. What miscarriage of justice. :colbert:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not sure if those spoilers are legit, and I don't know if it's legitimate that I still blame Harry Potter for these kinds of endings, but it's how I feel

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not sure if those spoilers are legit, and I don't know if it's legitimate that I still blame Harry Potter for these kinds of endings, but it's how I feel

They are, the raws for the full chapter are out.

I think the lady that discovers the flower is supposed to be the flower pillar’s reincarnation though, not Inosuke’s descendant.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

zenitsu deserves nothing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
zenitsu never got severely injured and he never got the mark. so he likely lived a long life. think about that, and then think about the many other, better characters who either died or were doomed to die in a few years by a saucy tattoo.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

zenitsu thriving removes a whole number from what my final score will be

this is not a joke

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't bully my garbo kid. :ohdear:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

RatHat posted:

They are, the raws for the full chapter are out.

I think the lady that discovers the flower is supposed to be the flower pillar’s reincarnation though, not Inosuke’s descendant.

Por que no los dos?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Summary I gathered from Chapter 205 Raws:

It's now modern day Japan (90 years later)
Tanjiro x Kanao: Had descendants (Not-Tanjiro does parkour, male Not-Kanao)
Nezuko x Zenitsu (:argh:): Had Descendants (Black Zenitsu and Not-Nezuko who's 100% sick of his poo poo)
Uzui (Sound) x Harem: Had descendants (Not-Uzui is an olympic medalist, Not-Nez has hots for)
Inosuke: Had descendants (meek scientist Who just discovered the Blue Spider Lily holy poo poo get hosed Muzan!)
Tokito (Mist): Reincarnated with brother as twins
Shinobu (Insect): Reincarnated with Sempai
Masked Smiths: Either reincarnated or had descendants
Himejima (Rock): Reincarnated into caretaker
Kanroji (Love) x Obanai (Snake): Reincarnated into couple
Kiriya Ubayashiki: Still alive (oldest man in Japan)
Sakonji: Reincarnated
Sakonji's dead pupils: Reincarnated
Giyu (Water): Reincarnated
Genya and Sanemi: Reincarnated/descended from Sanemi as Cops
Yushiro: Still alive as demon (paints Tamayo all the time, wards off press with shotgun) (Tanjiro's LIVE has created a monster)
Yushiro's Cat: Still alive, regrets existence as centuries-old cat.
Tamayo: Reincarnated as schoolgirl
Rengoku (Flame): Reincarnated as Not-Tanjiro's bestie

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

Summary I gathered from Chapter 205 Raws:

It's now modern day Japan (90 years later)
Tanjiro x Kanao: Had descendants (Not-Tanjiro does parkour, male Not-Kanao)
Nezuko x Zenitsu (:argh:): Had Descendants (Black Zenitsu and Not-Nezuko who's 100% sick of his poo poo)
Uzui (Sound) x Harem: Had descendants (Not-Uzui is an olympic medalist, Not-Nez has hots for)
Inosuke: Had descendants (meek scientist Who just discovered the Blue Spider Lily holy poo poo get hosed Muzan!)
Tokito (Mist): Reincarnated with brother as twins
Shinobu (Insect): Reincarnated with Sempai
Masked Smiths: Either reincarnated or had descendants
Himejima (Rock): Reincarnated into caretaker
Kanroji (Love) x Obanai (Snake): Reincarnated into couple
Kiriya Ubayashiki: Still alive (oldest man in Japan)
Sakonji: Reincarnated
Sakonji's dead pupils: Reincarnated
Giyu (Water): Reincarnated
Genya and Sanemi: Reincarnated/descended from Sanemi as Cops
Yushiro: Still alive as demon (paints Tamayo all the time, wards off press with shotgun) (Tanjiro's LIVE has created a monster)
Yushiro's Cat: Still alive, regrets existence as centuries-old cat.
Tamayo: Reincarnated as schoolgirl
Rengoku (Flame): Reincarnated as Not-Tanjiro's bestie

does tanjiro have a god awful haircut like father naruto and ichigo though?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Professorjuggalo posted:

Nah he has the same haircut.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Professorjuggalo posted:

Not every dad is as good a boy as Tanjirou, though. :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zenitsu is my son no less than Inosuke and Tanjirou. They are all VERY GOOD BOYS.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i want a gyokko gaiden

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I like to imagine that Zenitsu had to grow the gently caress up really fast to earn Tanjiro's approval for marriage

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
seems like kind of a missed opportunity to not reincarnate some of the moons too, but it's possible goutoge was short on time.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Patware posted:

zenitsu deserves nothing

:same:

I p disappointed in the final pairings now lol. I can live w/tanji but really nezuko? What did she do to suffer like so?

So final rating 6/10 just for that final chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Probably my favorite implication of the chapter that I'm waiting for the official translation for: Inosuke's descendant found the Blue Spider Lily- and if the spoiler translations from the Chinese version are right, the blue variant can only be found under sunlight somehow. That means Muzan's goal was entirely unattainable by him or any flunkies created by him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Probably my favorite implication of the chapter that I'm waiting for the official translation for: Inosuke's descendant found the Blue Spider Lily- and if the spoiler translations from the Chinese version are right, the blue variant can only be found under sunlight somehow. That means Muzan's goal was entirely unattainable by him or any flunkies created by him.

That is loving fantastic.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Caros posted:

That is loving fantastic.

imo retconning poo poo in to make the villain look like an idiot after the fact weakens everything

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Patware posted:

imo retconning poo poo in to make the villain look like an idiot after the fact weakens everything

I don't think you know what the gently caress a retcon actually is

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's a piece of new information that significantly changes the context of previous plot points. in this case, if the spoilers are accurate, we have learned in the very last chapter that muzan's quest for the macguffin flower was futile all along and he was never ever going to succeed

that is literally what retroactive continuity means

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There is no break in continuity, it literally just explains why he never finds it.

Its there to further poo poo on him, which IMO is good

If you are going to be anal about it, then every single post death flashback or whatever is a retcon

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 16, 2020

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It was really dumb in the first star war how they retconned Luke into being able to hit wamp rats from his T-16 just to justify why he'd be able to stand a chance hitting the exhaust port on the death star.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Those are also retcons, by the definition, if they're providing significant new context to previous events.

Retconning isn't an inherently bad thing at all. It's an unavoidable literary device, and a broader term than actively loving with the canon by making previous events outright impossible.

However the more you undermine the primary antagonist of your story by making him look like an idiot, especially after the fact, the more you inadvertently undermine your protagonists as well. Again if this isn't inaccurate, making Muzan's quest for the blue spider lily absolutely futile also makes all the tension that existed around him looking for it useless as well. It removes satisfaction that was already there. Did Muzan have to go? Yeah, obviously, dude was big evil.

If this was going to be a reveal it would've been better served before the final confrontation, and used as bait somehow. The fact that the lily can only be found in the sunlight isn't the misstep either, its that we're just getting it lobbed overhead to little consequence when it could've been something the Pillars used to their advantage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It was really dumb in the first star war how they retconned Luke into being able to hit wamp rats from his T-16 just to justify why he'd be able to stand a chance hitting the exhaust port on the death star.

Yeah, like what I'm supposed to believe because you can shoot BBs good at a carnival that you can pilot a spaceship? Get outta here.

Come up with decent material like Force Kick.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013

Patware posted:

But Muzan IS a complete idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it's a retcon if it contradicts previously established information. we've been told basically nothing about the blue spider lily up until now so there's really nothing to contradict. also it's not really "making muzan an idiot" so much as " making it abundantly clear that muzan's ultimate downfall was always his own selfishness/paranoia/ego;" like if he'd formed genuine bonds with humans or just not been a complete psycho he might've found it, but because he adamantly refused to let any of his minions go without a failsafe that lets him kill them at will, he was doomed from the start.