Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter finally available in English!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/420660

He's so sassy now and I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's not actively being malicious, he's just earnestly saying what he thinks.

I dunno he does sound a tad ruder in English than he did in Korean.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Been re-reading the series and another thing I'd forgotten was the original gimmick of all the main demon hunters having a specific sense tied to their fighting style. (scent, touch, hearing). I wonder what the decision was to downplay if not outright remove this idea. It's not bad or good, just interesting that it's gone now for the most part.

I don't think it's gone at all.

Tanjirou's constantly been using his sense of smell to find Hantengu.

Genya's consumption of demons can be sorta tied to a sense of taste?

The other three with extraordinary senses (Zenitsu's hearing, Innosuke's touch, and Kanao's sight) aren't here right now.

Like, it might not be as prominent, but it's still there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/446867

Also a character from a Promised Neverland apparently got ranked in the Kimetsu no Yaiba poll (59th, 4th tweet you can see it says Sister Crone) and vice-versa (29th)???

https://twitter.com/garai_JLS/status/1038965819554709504?s=19

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're all good boys and girls.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/457398/1

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair Tokito is supposed to be a super genius, he's like the youngest Pillar + is a heir to the Sun Breath + he killed (well, incapacitated long enough for the sun to kill) a demon when he was young without the proper weapons or training.

I do think the remaining 3 Upper Moons are gonna be a whole other level though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Begemot posted:

Hopefully next arc features more of everyones favorite good good pig boy.

I guess they'll probably just set a big trap for Muzan and his moons, since they know they've got what he wants now. Wouldn't be surprised if the next arc is the last one.

I'd hope not, the second Upper Moon seems to be some sorta cult leader, would be nice if we reversed the format and had the slayers mounting an invasion instead.

EDIT: I guess the fight with Daki was sort of like an invasion but it was more of a scouting mission turned demon slaying, I think?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter!!!!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/468541/1

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorta surprised that the arc is already over but then again, this series really isn't afraid to just keep trucking on forward.

That sudden eating contest was hilarious though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tokito being so nice to Tanjirou and then switching to cold contempt to the rest of the trainees was hilarious.

I really enjoy this author's pacing. We don't have to spend chapters on each training session; we just get a good glimpse into each Pillar's personal tutoring style, a glimpse to how each of them sees Tanjirou, and then BAM! straight on to someone we haven't seen Tanjirou interact with much yet.

Snake Pillar totes has a crush on Kanroji.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm so happy Genya has good friends now, he was always angry but now he's a good smiley boy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I feel kinda bad, but i do not remember who that bad guy is. My poor memory strikes again!
Oh well, I'll have to reread Kimetsu. Not a bad thing, I think.

Upper Moon 3.

He popped up right after Tanjirou and co. killed Lower Moon 1 and became the true final boss of the train arc. He fought against the Flame Pillar and mortally wounded him, but the Flame Pillar kept him in place to prevent him from escaping from the sun. Dude still ended up running away and Tanjirou called him a coward for doing so which really pissed him off. Tanjirou hates that dude a lot for killing the Flame Pillar.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Upper Moons were also matched up against opponents who had some way of dealing with their tricks.

Gyuutaro would have been more effective against pretty much any other Pillar; Tengen could resist poison due to his ninja training but it's unlikely that other Pillars would have been able to last as long. And even then Tengen and co. would have died if Gyuutaro had fought from the start, according to Muzen.

Gyokko's final form lets him turn whatever he hits into fish, one hit of that and you're a goner. You probably can't even block his hits with a sword cause then your sword is a fish and you have nothing to kill him with. However he had the misfortune of going against Muuichiro, a super genius whose breath incorporates evasive techniques and just so happens to possess a max speed that's even faster than that of Gyokko's. Even personality-wise, Muuichiro just wasn't a good opponent for Gyokko cause he had a way of pissing off Gyokko so much that he lost his cool.

Hantengu's gimmick makes him really hard to kill; unless you have some super sense like Tanjirou or Zenitsu you're gonna have a hard time finding his main body, and if you can't do that you're dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also this inspired me to reread chapters (why doesn't the Shounen Jump app have all the chapters????) and Giyuu and Tanjiro are such good boys. Clueless good boys, but good boys nonetheless.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm rereading the series and man, poor Uzui.

Dude has to train all his life as a ninja since childhood, and he still considers himself one of the weaker Pillars.

Meanwhile, his fellow pillars include...
1. Muuichiro, a prodigy who killed a demon without any training when he was a kid and became a Pillar within two months of picking up the blade
2. Kanroji, who was born with insane muscles and became a Pillar within 2 years (had no training until she was 17, and she's 19 now)
3. Sanemi, who also killed his demonified mother by himself without any particular training
4. Himejima, who killed a demon with his bare fists (Muuichiro and Sanemi used weapons and were physically fit because of their jobs, whereas Himejima was a monk) and became a Pillar within 1 year (met Ubuyashiki when he was 18 and became a Pillar at 19), and is now the strongest Pillar
5. Rengoku, who was born strong and taught himself how to use the Flame Breath on account of his dad falling into depression, and was considered one of the stronger Pillars, and nearly killed the 3rd Pillar even without developing marks

Small wonder he says this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm of the opinion that this truly is the final arc (albeit a fairly lengthy one that might last for 1/2 or 1/3 of the entire series), and that we'll get more backstory into the characters through the fights.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also it turns out Wind Pillar is also a good boy. Sorta.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zenitsu's adoptive dad/grandpa/teacher killed himself because of Kaigetsu.

I don't really need any other explanation for why Zenitsu would need the determination to fight.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Genya's got that demon regeneration, I have high hopes that he'll recover due to his ingestion of the 1st Moon, unless the 1st Moon dying suddenly results in Genya losing all that demon energy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Douma died because he was arrogant.

All Upper Moons died because they couldn't escape their human nature.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rody One Half posted:

And that's why Douma's the best

Bored not giving a drat, died not giving a drat, rip the realest one

It was funny how he was all like "Hey, if Akaza could surpass his limits then I could too!" and then when he failed right away he was like "Oh well I guess I'll die."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://mangadex.org/chapter/730334/1

Christ this loving chapter.

I really did not believe that Genya would die since he was among Tanjiro's peers, so now I feel like anyone can die now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

I wasn't exactly expecting him to die but at the same time his vertical bisection made it really, really hard for me to see how he'd survive.

I was thinking that Sanemi would sacrifice himself and give his blood to Genya and that it would somehow heal Genya cause they're family + Sanemi has special blood.

I'm just really surprised because usually in this sorta stuff it's always the elder sibling / parental figure / mentor who sacrifices themselves to save the younger generation, but Kimetsu doesn't really have that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it's still pretty good and am enjoying it. So you do you I guess.

Same.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Want more tragedy? Have some details on Akaza's past.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/768757/1

This is some hosed up poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean we could use the heat, Muzan's not gonna die till we bring the sun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Doesn't he still maim/scar Akaza, though?

Muzan might favor certain demons but in the end they're all pawns to him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

I mean, hundreds of people (almost every rank & file member of the Demon Slaying Corps, up to the dadgum leader) are loving dead, most of, if not outright all of the current Pillars are going to either die/discharge their duties due to career-ending injuries (not to mention the fact that both Shinobu and Muichirou died in order to take on the top 2 Upper Moons). The current leader of the organization is a 9 year old boy who's probably going to have a horrible case of PTSD by the time this is over.

And I'm really not liking Tanjirou's odds once this battle is done. :ohdear:

Luckily for him, the curse placed upon his family means he'll only suffer from PTSD for like 20 years as opposed to like 50 or something.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

having the entire cast be willing to die for a cause and then actually doing so is very rare in manga. usually with that level of resolve there's some copout like the dead people all miraculously surviving. none of these characters thinks they are going to survive this fight, and it's very striking.

Rock Pillar is unlikely to survive the night, even ignoring his wounds; marked slayers generally die before the age of 25 and he's like 27, Kokushibou even points this out.

The only 2 people to survive past that are Yorichii, who had god cast permanent versions of every available buff on him on birth, and Kokushibou, who turned into a demon.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't feel like I have any issue remembering parts of this series, unlike the more generic/brainless stuff like black clover or fairy tail

those I can only remember some things and it's prob mostly out of order at that

Same.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's does not look like it. Given that it appears that Muzan fully possess Tanjiro.

It's not possession, it's Muzan taking a page out of the Demon Slayer's book and deciding to entrust his hopes to Demon!Tanjiro.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I always thought Moon breathing was a style he invented that took advantage of his demon physiology (hence the name). Then the flashback revealed that it was an established style and I felt dumb.

While he did have it as a human, the back half of his techniques were probably created after he became a demon, since they wouldn't work without his Blood Art.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kimetsu was a series that didn't really grip me till the Train arc, after which it continuously got better for me.

The way Tanjiro got freed from his demonization was a bit eh, but otherwise, I had no issues with the final few arcs and I cried a bunch at every day.

Would rate 8 or 9 out of 10 and Fridays feel emptier without it, especially since One Piece is often on break too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Patware posted:

he's worse than mineta

DOUBT.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe the orphans should have learned breathing techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do the demons in Promised Neverland measure up to the ones in Demon Slayer?

I've only read like 50 or so chapters before falling off the series but the strongest demon at the time (Lord Relius or whatever his name was) doesn't seem to measure up to the Upper Moons, and that's even Promised Neverland having big brain genius kids using guns.