Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s a solid 5/10. The story and themes are kind of generic shonen and the characters aren’t terribly interesting.

That being said it actually treats its love interest character much better than most shonen and I actually like her backstory.

Shame it just kind of resolved immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That seems like pretty standard for a shonen. I can think of only really a one that doesn’t fit that mold. Goku.

Hell even his clones didn’t do that.

Also 5/10 may seem low but it’s definitely not a terrible score it’s middling.

I don’t even hold the rushed ending against the manga. My favorite manga also has a rushed ending it happens

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Biggest reason Tanjiro worked is that his kindness was not treated as absolution and the manga was extremely and consistently clear about it

Eh he still mostly beat them into fixing their issues. Though with the whole demon cure kind of makes the core out to be kind of dicks as they could have saved them as it turned out.

I kind of wish the whole the demon is actually sympathetic card was played less as a fact. Should have made it more interesting if only some had a tragic backstory that needed fixing. As it stands only Muzak himself did that. Which is weird considering how cold and uncaring he was. It was like he was drawn to tragic backstories

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

He was explicitly drawn to vulnerable people he could take advantage of lol

But that’s the thing he doesn’t need to do that. Becoming a demon isn’t presented as something you opt into and Muzan controlled people through fear and they didn’t even have their memories.

It feels like a cheap reasoning for them to have tragic backstories which is was really. Also kind of made every demon encounter a bit formulaic. You could set your watch to how a demon encounter was going to go

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I find the opinion that the middle was the best part. I actually liked it better before Muzan was revealed or at least revealed to be a load bearing boss.

I liked it better when demons where just a threat that was running around causing problems before they effectively became a shonen bad guy organization

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair only because he’s a main character. If he was just a side character his creepy ness and all about horrible demeanor would be lessened

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zenitsu doesn’t really hate himself. He pities himself a bit but just like his cowardice he just kind of gets over it off screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the pacing issues where not for the moons in fact I think the moons have to much screen time as is. They get more focus than most the characters including the lead