Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
1-61 and 139 to the latest chapter. Not sure how often the backlog is updated; I only just read through the series myself.

Finally got into both this and The Promised Neverland in the same week, and both seem to be in their endgames. Something of a coincidence there. Both were really good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
71-79 also have official translations now, I believe.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/730334/1

Christ this loving chapter.

I really did not believe that Genya would die since he was among Tanjiro's peers, so now I feel like anyone can die now.

I wasn't exactly expecting him to die but at the same time his vertical bisection made it really, really hard for me to see how he'd survive.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
We already knew that Tokito was almost certainly going to die, though, for at least a chapter or two. Pretty sure it was explicitly stated at least once, and I think similar was suggested about Genya too now that I think about it. This chapter gave us the "dying/afterlife sad stuff" bits, but those two actually being dead seems like it was meant to be pretty clear.

I guess the author figured that being vertically bisected was more obviously fatal than a lot of us (myself included) apparently believed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I love how petty Muzan is

"Ugh, why should I be responsible for murdering your family? Why can't you just pretend an avalanche killed them or something you weirdos"

He takes him doing what he wants as a given, and expects everyone else to conform. Like an earthquake or a hurricane, him killing people is basically an act of God; grief over your loss is expected, but anger over it happening is irrational and immature, as far as he sees it.

He is a very repugnant person.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even Muzan thinking that Douma loving sucks is great.

Actually, Douma is the only one of the Upper Moons that he dislikes outright; the rest are positive or neutral, and besides thinking Daki is an idiot the worst is finding one guy annoying but bearable. That's fantastic; no one likes that rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i was talking with someone about the series and he brought up a good point. it definitely shows that this is gotogue's debut work. there's a bunch of excellent ideas throughout, and a rather original and distinct flavor, but the execution doesn't always hang together. i'd definitely be interested in reading their next work, assuming they continue in the business

I've been thinking something similar for a while; there's a lot of good here, but also the inexperience plus presumed executive and/or real life pressure really show in some places, particularly towards the end and when looking at the series as a whole. Certain characters or concepts being underutilized or dropped, the pacing in the back half, all that stuff people usually bring up. Some very good parts too (even some of the ones I've seen others dislike; I disagree with almost every complaint about Muzan as a character for example, him being a petty, short-sighted, self-sabotaging rear end in a top hat who got no redemption is great), though at times more conceptually due to the aforementioned execution issues.

I really hope she's able to make more manga in the future too; hopefully everything works out for her, whatever's going on in her life.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 18, 2020