Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just started reading. Finished the first 2 volumes in like one hour. The art feels a bit rough, but it works for the battles so far. I like that, while Tanjiro has a good deal of "WSJ-MC traits" going for him, the work he has to put feels like it has a lot of weight to it. Like, the battles have an almost... shall we say, Araki-esque quality to them?

And yeah: Tanjirou is, so far, a good boy. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What? No! No anime just yet, please. :pray:

Or if it gets an Anime, hopefully it's less like Black Clover and more like My Hero Academia (1 or 2 cour seasons). And tell studio Pierrot that unless they're bringing their A-game, to stay the hell away.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, the first few chapters are pretty loving brutal in that :stonk: way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's really hard to imagine ufotable botching the job as hard as studio pierrot did with black clover
Ufotable can be accused of many things, but "not being a tryhard" is not one of them.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, goofy-rear end speculation time: Who would be the best VA choice for Inosuke?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PringleCreamEgg posted:

This manga is good and fun and feels like if D Gray Man were moved to japan and didn't have the worst power creep I've ever seen in a manga.
Man, talk about a blast from the past. Wasn't that in WSJ at some point during the 14 years or so it's been in and out of hiatus?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The link for people who refuse to employ that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Muichiro :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like Tanjirou's design, but isn't Nezuko supposed to be both very beautiful and somewhat unkempt?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OH MY GOD. :aaaaa:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Nezuko has finally, finally conquered the sun!
:catstare:

Now I need a "Nezuko dunking on Kars" fanart. Like right now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quoting from Season thread:

Wark Say posted:

I don't know if anyone posted this but, for the upcoming anime adaptation of Kimetsu no Yaiba, voice actors for Tanjirou and Nezuko have been announced. Now the question/wait becomes: Who's going to play Inosuke?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of actresses are actually fairly good at making those little noises count like crazy. Tomoyo Kurosawa (Phos in Land of the Lustrous and Kumiko in Sound! Euphonium) is super good at making little noises and expressions sell her characters super well. Hell, I originally thought "Aoi Yuuki would be perfect for Nezuko".

Like, Natsuki Hanae felt like a complete "duh!" casting because he, like the dude who voices Deku in MHA and Narancia in GioGio, just has a very natural boyish voice and he can do the "Incredibly endearing dork" (which seems like it'd be necessary for a proper Tanjiro) voice super well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUYWGsUzgTU

But the lady who's going to be voicing Nezuko hasn't done anything that grabbed me that strongly, outside of the cute gamer maid in Blend S, which was cute but not all that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Autonomous Monster posted:

steadily_increasing_good_boy.jpg

HOW THE HELL CAN HE BE SUCH A NICE BOY? :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Here's the latest preview with more than 2 seconds of animation.
Somehow, I knew as soon as it got announced a couple of weeks ago the precise voice Matsuoka was going to use for Inosuke. I am still fully loving hyped. :getin:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

I find it suspicious that we didn't see Nezuko once during the training arc, or even right before the pillars entered Hell.
Does Nezuko, realistically, need any training outside of wrt learning how to speak again? I recall her getting stronger across the series without needing to properly "train", since she seems to be naturally talented.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Indiana_Krom posted:

Started reading this over the weekend and just caught up tonight, Tanjirou is a very good boy, but I also am amused about how batshit insane he goes sometimes. He seems to get in to a lot of fights and then ends up yelling "Get back here you coward! I'm gonna cut your head off!!!" and running like a lunatic after some demon, although this seems to be a pretty common affliction among the demon hunters.
Tanjirou is a good boy, but he's still a boy at the end of the day.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JackDarko posted:

The next major arc will be totally different and the end of an era. Turns out the demons were somehow keeping the government in check or occupied. The government will go after the slayers to rid them from history.
Wonder who's gonna be the Hijikata and the Saito of the group.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kinda surprised that, aside from One Piece and Hunter x Hunter (which I think has been in its longest hiatus yet?), the oldest thing right now in WSJ is the Volleyboys from Haikyu!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Haikyuu!! owns and more people need to read about the good volleyboys.
It is! Also just started playing Celeste and your AV is big-time :kimchi:

I would have the same gripes about KnY, but I think that the anime is tackling the material which I felt was the series at its weakest with a lot of panache, which in turn makes me appreciate the manga all the more when, even with all its flaws, Gotouge decides to loving slam us with either heart-warming, heart-rending or sometimes downright horrifying moments.

Fabricated posted:

I think if we make it to 2020 without a new HxH chapter it'll be basically a year on the dot?
Really? drat, I thought it'd been longer.

(I miss H x H and I kinda wish Togashi would get an artist to work with or... I dunno, move to a monthly magazine; like I've read that Naoko Takeuchi helps him on occasion with the volume releases)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like the fast pace, but I do feel like some things could've worked much better by taking it just a smidgen slower. Like the anime made me like those few moments where Boss Inosuke, Tanjirou and Zenitsu just gently caress around during downtime/recovery or what-have-you all the better because it feels like they have that same energy of the Duwang Gang/the Nichibros and they'd be hella tight Demon-Slaying brahs just shooting the poo poo and like yeah, I want Tanjirou to accomplish his goals but I also kinda want him to hang with his found family of goofballs a bit more, y'know?

e: Slight grammar goof-up. :cheeky:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 1, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I got the impression that the series was doing fairly well in both sales and the WSJ ranking polls, though? Like One Piece is never going to move from #1 in the foreseeable future because even if you're super optimistic about Dragon Ball's sales after its revival in the 2010's, Oda's opus has it beat for at least 150 million copies (and not even gonna mention the rock-gently caress insane amount of merchandise that Shueisha has kept moving thanks to them Straw Hats and co.), but I thought that MHA, KNY, Dr. Stone and Promised Neverland were pretty much the actual interesting competitors throughout 2017 and 2018 on said polls?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I also get the impression that, fancy Demon Blood Arts aside, Kokushibou is probably somewhere not too far from Muzan in raw strength.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Silly theory: Gotouge says "gently caress it" and KnY becomes a generational tale a-la JoJo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mostly just want to see Gotouge try to do more stories. Despite some shortcomings, I still got hella invested because Tanjirou and co were just that charming. Doubly so now with Natsuki Hanae voicing our very good boy and Yoshitsugu Matsuoka just being a perfect casting for the pig boyBOAR LAD.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamm, I hope the anime continues up to this point because I'm certain that Kawanishi, Okarin and both Tomokazus are going to loving deliver and I'm going to bawl.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gotouge obviously took notes from Kubo when it comes to fatality by sword.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

I think this week's Jump is early, just fyi.
Oh jeez! :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn. Just... gently caress. :qq:

All the slayers, the crows, Muichirou and Genya being confirmed dead. Ms. Tamayo. Goddammit Muzan.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if it was in this here thread or in the anime one, but I recall how the comparison to Yoshikage Kira popped up, and, while they're two very different types of repugnant monsters, I can't help but to think back on that comparison.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. One thing that I liked is the explanation I read in some analysis piece (or probably the JoJopedia? Can't super recall rn) that Kira himself knows that what he's doing is not right, but sees it more like how you or me would see like a bad habit (chain-smoking, overeating, toilet-seat arrangements, you name it) in that he just needs to stop doing it and he'll be fine/"back in the wagon" again.

Muzan is more monstrous, but when Tanjirou first encounters him, he seems perfectly capable of just playing this "upstanding citizen" persona he has as Tsukihito so that the boy would leave him and his "family" alone. Also, like Kira, he seems to have a problem in dealing with his anger.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like how Muzan killed all those demon hunters without a second thought, but upon seeing Tanjiro he's just "ugh this guy again"
It's kinda understandable from Muzan's perspective, though. He sees most humans as trash and Tanjirou is no different; the fact that this forehead kid keeps popping up is like "Oh my god, kid, just... can't you just go away? I'm busy looking for your sister, dude".

The one thing he's interested in that has the Kamado family name is chowing down on the poor boy's sister so that he can cannibalise her "walk in the sun" ability.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Likely. Also he was probably a Kyotoite.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tanjirou, no! :ohdear: Also, poor Yushiro. :cry:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can almost imagine HanaKana voicing Kanroji there with her more extreme tonal shifts and it's probably going to get wilder. :mmmhmm:

Also, a strange idea came into mind: Given how it's very very likely that the anime is going to continue beyond the Demon Train Arc's movie adaptation, I wondered for a hot second there if the casting director(s) for the anime would be down for getting actual siblings for the Upper Moon 6 pair? I keep trying to remember names, but the only VA's which are relatively famous that come to mind are Chika Anzai & Jun'ya Enoki (cousins), Miyuki & Chiharu Sawashiro and Maaya & Yuuma Uchida (brother and sister).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like I know he's the MC but :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While I'm invested in KnY, honestly what I'm kinda pumped to see is what Gotouge does next after learning through the making on this manga, because like Tanjiro and his gang are gonna get big, but I honestly think that Gotouge is going to pull something even more badass/huge with their next work.

e: Grammar, since Gotouge mentioned it in an interview.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 3, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:3: + :swoon: + :black101: =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkh8QiMA-MI

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is the manga thread, but if you have the chance to catch the Toonami broadcast/reruns of the dub, do it. Like people give Greg Chun crap for sounding kinda samey in a buncha things, but goddamn can he bring in the creepy and dadgum was he good as Muzan. Also Zach Aguilar is phenomenal so far as Tanjiro.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

Also, stop with the loving near-deaths on Kanroji already, you've already killed Shinobu and Nezuko's barely a character as it is.
You kill a character who's been voiced by HanaKana, you risk a rabid fandom descending upon you to take your head. Made-up Fandom Rules, nothing that can be done. Sorry. :shobon:

I applaud Gotoge's moxie in poking the nest, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:catstare:
Muzan must die. :black101: