Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in the end i really don't know how i feel about the series

the characters were pretty uniformly great, the humor was solid, the art interesting, and the basic premise and tone of the story was gripping and generally managed to keep from going overboard

the fight scenes were almost always a bit muddled, but nothing terrible

the actual plotting of the story was kind of mediocre. it's honestly bizarre, the characters were great but their individual arcs ranged from anemic to non-existent, and any development that did happen almost invariably involved a prolonged flashback. i'm not sure if that's the tool that the mankaga felt most comfortable with, or if it was used explicitly to express some theme, but it gave me this disjointed feeling, as if the characters where all in their end states at the start of the series and nothing on their journey actually had an impact on them as character. inosuke is the one minor exception to this. i think that's part of why it was hard to write a satisfying ending (although those are always difficult). normally you kind of highlight how the characters have changed since their introduction, and otherwise put a cap on their arcs. but you can't do that here, tanjiro and nezuko are essentially the same as they were in the first chapter.

overall it was an enjoyable read, but i don't know if i'd ever feel compelled to pick it up and re-read any portions of the story again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i was talking with someone about the series and he brought up a good point. it definitely shows that this is gotogue's debut work. there's a bunch of excellent ideas throughout, and a rather original and distinct flavor, but the execution doesn't always hang together. i'd definitely be interested in reading their next work, assuming they continue in the business