Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I love how petty Muzan is

"Ugh, why should I be responsible for murdering your family? Why can't you just pretend an avalanche killed them or something you weirdos"

There's just something so loving repugnant and sleazy about it that makes him so much more hateable. Like, there's always SOMETHING about a villain that makes you like him a little bit in some capacity, but Muzan is such a petty loving rear end in a top hat that he's the perfect hateable villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

I don't know if it was in this here thread or in the anime one, but I recall how the comparison to Yoshikage Kira popped up, and, while they're two very different types of repugnant monsters, I can't help but to think back on that comparison.

I was actually thinking of guys like Dio and/or Doflamingo, but Kira works better. The differences I'd say is that Kira has moments of...madness. Like you see him and you can tell that mentally he's REALLY hosed up like legit crazy person unwell and with Dio and Doffy being obviously different coming from radically broken and hosed up childhoods. With Muzan, he LITERALLY seems all there. No insanity, no broken childhood(God I hope they don't try to do this), just an evil, petty, monstrous man who feels entitled to Godhood and sees absolutely nothing with an of the horrific things he does and even expects thanks for sparing some people.

Edit: A big possibility in the comparison might be their dressing styles.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 3, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

Like I know he's the MC but :ohdear:

So was Jonathan

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Manatee Cannon posted:

the backstory in this latest chapter feels kinda rushed to me. like the author forgot to do it earlier and realized they were running out of time

I noticed that rush feel as far back as the spider demons.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

Yeah that was rough.

Yeah there are apparently ten ranks in the slayer corps according to what the boy twin said after the selection, but that never got fleshed out, nor did any of the lower moons before they were unceremoniously killed off by Muzan. There have been other points like the Red Light District Arc feeling really long or the mountain defense and the training arcs before and after feeling kind of jumbled. It's been fun as hell don't get me wrong, but you can tell it's the authors first real long story and they're playing fast and loose with ideas and concepts being brought up out of the blue and sometimes discarded just as quickly as they were brought up.

Edit: Hitman Reborn. That's the series this reminds of in that regard

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 22, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

While I have enjoyed this latest arc, it's a bit of a shame. All three of the top Upper Moons could have easily supported their own arc.

An arc about Doma the cult ice guy would have been dope as hell with him having an actual cult of humans or demons who literally believe he's a divine servant. Akaza and Kokushibo being enforcers is fine since they always felt the most solitary of the groups, but we never got anything on the Biwa lady and the former Thunder Breath apprentice turned Demon should have been better introduced and fleshed out. You kind of have to go around into info tidbits to get the gist of who he was(he was the kid who let the demons into the blind guys temple).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

omg idk if i could handle that info :sigh:

A photo of better days from the past.

Can't wait for the flashback for him and his brother Chomonosuke.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Patware posted:

no time for anyone else. only tanjirou

if it ends and the only contribution inosuke made to the climax of the story was 'cut a tentacle off once' i'm going from "KnY got really unfortunately rushed" to "KnY was bad"

I've noticed this be a really big thing with works printed by Shueshia especially in Jump.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he's only ever recalled his own ancestor's memories. tanjirou might yank some previously unknown fire dance mastery out of his genetic memory, but if so it won't be from yoriichi. tanjirou and yoriichi aren't related, and ghosts haven't appeared as more than a 'hey i'm dead now and here is my dead family so let's go to the afterlife' thing. dude's completely dead, from old age hundreds of years ago. it's an intrinsic part of being human that separates them from the demons.

As far as we know.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Manga has still been enjoyable, but with the rushed feel and sudden info dumps about stuff that should've been drip fed throughout the series, you can tell this was the authors first serious go and they were winging it in a few places.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006264

THE CAT LIVED!!!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RatHat posted:

So uh spoilers are out for this chapter and it's a pretty big one.

Tanjirou loses an arm. Muzan transforms into his "true form"(a giant baby) and desperately tries to escape as the sun comes up but the pillars block him. He disintegrates in the sun as the chapter ends. Nezuko still hasn't arrived.

That's uhhh... a thing I guess.

Edit: Ok I found the video of the spoilers, https://youtu.be/V36A3cFVLQw. No loving clue where all of this goes now to be honest and it feels...I dunno, kind of underwhelming?

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 19, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lurking Haro posted:

Shueisha probably pulled the plug before the anime started and quickly jammed it back in when sales exploded, except it now has brain damage and will never be the way it was before.

Bunch of people on sites like the reddit for the series and mangahelpers have been praising this turn of events(not universally mind you) which I've found...interesting. The general point being that Muzan is dying exactly as how he's represented and his death was a complete group effort and Tanjiro was never really meant to match Yorochi or something to this effect.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

Anyone still excited about potential S2? I'm like actually maybe S1 and the movie should be all there is since the following vol was blah.

The Red Light District arc? Yeah I liked that arc, but it felt like it would NEVER end.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

I liked the Red Light district I meant the ending and the ch leading up to it.

The stuff with Rengoku's dad or do you mean the ending of the Red Light District arc? I remember it, just not the specifics of what you may not have liked.

Wark Say posted:

I like that. Like how in Slam Dunk neither Sakuragi nor Rukawa suddenly become these "once in a generation" basketball prodigies by the end. Sakuragi becomes proficient enough to actually make a good showing and become a strong part of the team while Rukawa further understands what makes him work as a strong solo player while understanding the importance of being a team player and how, despite that, he should still focus on becoming a better ball player overall because he's still not ready for American leagues.

The problem is that for the sheer amount of build-up and how amazing some of the fights and the amount of skill and the on the fly improvement and improvising to get there make this feel underwhelming. Like there was so much build-up to Tanjiro learning that calmness tehcnique so enemies can't feel your killing intent and the stuff with the "Dance of the Fire God" only for it to now look like it might not have been necessary in terms of completion. Like there was never any need for Tanjiro to know all 13 forms and complete the dance like his dad was able to do which again after so much build-up feels REALLY bumming.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 21, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

My biggest guess is that Gotouge got the "Yeah, this one arc's the last one, wrap it up holmes" talk by the editor at some point during 2018's second half or so, so she pretty much resigned herself to try and finish it in her own terms, but then both the 5-episodes that got repackaged as the 1st movie and/or the anime adaptation got loving huge to the point that the manga's combined back volumes + the newer volumes started outselling One motherfucking Piece (well sorta; I think someone explained it better somewhere) in 2019, so more than one person in the editorial staff went "Wait, wha--? NO, HOL O-- wait, Gotouge, put that down--leave that character al--FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK! someone take the pen off her hands! poo poo! Oh my god, what did we do!?"... and thus the current state of affairs.

This sounds shockingly believable given how things have transpired.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Patware posted:

I'm gonna stand by the opinion that it's the first half of a very compelling story that then goes off a cliff due to a combination of probably being given a pre-emptive 'wrap it up' and some really amateur hour stuff. KnY is in a weird place where I feel like it would've been greatly strengthened by being less shounen (as impossible as that likely was) because I feel like the abrupt powerups Tanjiro keeps getting in addition to the 'red blade' thing never feel earned. They keep coming out of nowhere in a way that absolutely weakens it as a story because big question marks keep popping up. Like, remember when there was supposed to be a thing about the blade colors in general aside from this 'get a red blade by squeezing your sword real hard' thing?

At the same time, its undeniable that the popularity got a massive boost because ufotable was able to take all the shounen stuff and make it look amazing, so if that stuff wasn't there, that all wouldn't've happened.

What always gets me when I think about KnY kinda going off a cliff is less the actual narrative and more how many character stories went off the cliff with it. I'm not sure what more there was for Tanjiro and to some extent Inosuke, but the only other character I can point to and say had a full, well-written arc is Shinobu. Genya and Kanao in particular were clearly meant to be part of the core gang but the story just never got there and had to rush some stuff forward, along with all the Pillars we didn't spend any time with until we got to this point.

It's not bad, but it's very disappointing.

And frankly as soon as they got Muzan to the surface, this part of the final fight has kinda sucked aside from the mood of it. It's everyone jumping into a blender over and over again until Tanjiro somehow hallucinated a genetic memory. I can handle some rear end-pulling but almost every single powerup has felt like an rear end-pull.

I hope Gotouge's next work isn't shounen. I want to see what they can do without having to shoehorn shounen conventions in.

You forgot the hunter ranks which ultimately turned out to be meaningless, Muzan's seemingly normal human family and the facade he was maintaining when Tanjiro ran into him which was framed as seemingly meant to go somewhere, Ubuyashiki seemingly knowing Tamayo on some deeper level, Tanjiro's connection to Yorochi, Tanjiro's dad and his seemingly deeper understanding of the Fire Dance and the See-Through World ability that he mastered, the flowers Muzan was looking for and how the monk acquired them.

There's probably more stuff that I'm missing and I also agree that Studio Ufotable's ABSOLUTELY GOD TIER adaptation played a very big role in this getting as big as it did since it was never a really big player before it. Like it sold well, but there's a reason we're talking about it feeling rushed like it was getting the walking papers and that's because it likely was or was close to it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

While I agree on a lot of dropped balls, doesn't Muzan :gibs: them when he finds out Nezuko can walk in the daylight?

He kills the mom of his child form. We never actually see whatever happened to his wife and daughter that Tanjiro saw or lear if they were actually his biological family or who they were at all. Like the inclusions of him being able to change genders and age never felt like they were there for any particular reason assuming he didn't kill and replace people which again just opens the question of why.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Professorjuggalo posted:

Muzan is gonna flake off the baby armour and come out as a sephiroth giga bishie for one last fight against tanjiro who’ll somehow recover too, book it

I personally felt the manga started going off the rails way back in the swordsmith arc but the upper moon fight with zenitsu was easily the worst fight I’ve seen in the manga (at least the taste of that one gets washed out with stuff like the doma and akaza fights though)

Not sure if I'd say off the rails, but the Red-Light District arc felt STUPIDLY long and it always felt like Daki and Gyutaro had some NEW trick up their sleeve as the fight went on(ditto for Tanjiro and co). I did like that Nezuko got to actually do more in that fight similar to the spider demons.

Swordsmith Arc didn't really bother me as much since everything felt more spaced out with several characters doing different things, but the sudden power-ups and characters actually showing up and doing stuff felt iffy. Like, where the hell where these guys up til now? They really should've been introduced earlier in terms of their skills and abilities along with them just...being people.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, a lot of those things are ultimately useless and why I'm saying that it wasnt just executive meddling. The ranking system is completely useless, it was introduced and basically dropped completely by the end of the spider family and the execution of the lower moons. Either you are pillar level, close to it or completely useless. This was early 2017 barely over a year after it debuted. The lower moons themselves looked like they were going to be a thing before they got slaughtered. I doubt that at that time they had already told Gotoge that the manga was going to be cut because you dont get 3 years after that call is made to finish something. You get a whole lot less even if your manga was at one point hot poo poo.

True. I can't shake off the Muzan family thing since when they appeared, it looked and felt like Muzan actually GAVE poo poo about maintaining the facade at least to them and his motives after so many years went from, "I want to be an immortal god" to "I just wanna actually watch a nice sunset with my family" or balanced blend of both.

What I sort of mean is how the members of groups like Baroque Works and CP9 are members of organizations that do HORRIBLE things and have no qualms brutalizing people outside their friendzone, but are still quirky people who legitimately care about each other at some level as shown by their cover stories up to including some bits where their civilian covers actually allowed them to live out some of their dreams.. Some stuff like that.

On another note, the Moons never actually feel like they had much presence in the story. Like they appear, but they never feel like part of the story until the story calls for it. As part of the above, them having human identities of some kind or just having a bit more presence would've been great for their development.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

Oh, you mean like The Spider? :v: The Phantom Troupe, that is. Rui's "family" was hosed up even in a magazine that had Erina's parents in Food Wars, Marika's mom in Nisekoi and the loving Kakin Royal Family.

Yeah something like. Give them something more to do other than just show up and fight the characters when the plot calls for it. Douma had an entire cult in his name. Something like expanding upon that and how he uses that to create more demons or basically just acquire more sacrifices and having his temple or whatever be a sort of waypoint that linked the infinite fortress to the outside world. I'd have had Douma bs something akin to the gatekeeper and Akaza and Kokushibo be the bodyguards who occasionally get sent out to hunt upper level Demon hunters while looking for the Pillars along with fleshing out and adding more hunters since other than the one guy who's name I can't even recall who asked Tanjiro for help in the spider mountain, I don't think they've had ANY hunters of any kind of plot significance that weren't Pillars or successors like Kanao(more successors would have been nice).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Arianya posted:

Also I think part of what makes this a slog is that everything that's been hyped up or built up is getting no sell'd so hard that it's kinda hard to have any stakes left since the only solution they have is "wait for dawn" (and I'll be completely unsurprised if they pull a "Muzan becomes sun-proof" twist since they've had like 3 demons do it now)

Red blades? Slow regeneration by a fraction of a second
Marks that kill you by age 25? Let you get only *mostly* hosed up by Muzan
Fire Dance Style? Maybe if I chain them all together I can last a few minutes more.
See Through Vision? Uh oh Muzan has so many redundants, near immediate reforming organs that this is pointless.

It's like Muzan's power ranking went from "Dangerous rear end in a top hat who can kill Hashira" to "Literally God with one hand tied behind his back"
There it is, that's the issue. If they had only ONE of these then it'd make sense for them to be getting smacked around. But having all three and it still being 1 vs 8/9 makes it lack any real tension as a fight.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Chapter 200 spoilers

Jump’s cover: Tanjiro on overhead strike postion, Nezuko on the side, headline is about the climax of Muzan’s fight.

Chapter title: The price of victory.

Double-spread color pages: Sanemi, Giyuu, Zenitsu, Nezuko, Inosuke on the left looking somewhat sad; Tanjiro, Obanai, Giyoumei, Mitsuri on the right, looking happy and fulfilled.

Muzan, so far, seems to have really been killed, and it so it begins the death toll, Himejima dies, he is greeted by all the children that he took care off 8 years ago, Mitsuri actually got lethally wounded on her last maneuver against Muzan, Obanai holds her in his arms, they confess, they both seemly die.

Tanjiro is on his knees, where Muzan has burnt to nothingness, his legendary Yorrichi (Metsu) blade broke, Tanjiro is completely still, he is not breathing, several Kakushi rush to his side crying, Giyuu sees this and runs to Tanjiro’s side, he kneels in front of Tanjiro, touching his forehead with his own, checking Tanjiro’s body seems completely lifeless, he is not breathing Giyuu starts crying, Zenitsu is being patched up near them, he is still alive, Nezuko has arrived, she is running towards Tanjiro, CHAPTER ENDS.

Still no chapter countdown for the series’ end.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

I noticed yesterday that even before One Piece skipped this week Demon Slayer had edged past it in mangaplus's view ranking and is now #1.

I mean it is ending so that makes sense.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Relin posted:

hope the series doesnt start limping along like so many other manga that continued past a good end point only because they sold well

Come on man...we both know that's EXACTLY what's gonna happen.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GorfZaplen posted:

Thank god. Last time I fall for the shounen hype train

Yeah the series was good fun, but man some parts just felt both painfully rushed yet slow at the same time. All in all, I am glad it got its happy ending and all and that its ending instead of being drawn out because $$$ or something.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oh Snapple! posted:

I feel like years down the line we're going to find out SJ either didn't like the series or didn't like dealing with the author to the point where they wanted it wrapped up sooner rather than later in spite of it's solid-and-then-exploding sales.Even as someone who's been perfectly content with this arc and thinks it's had some of the best moments of the series with Akaza, Kokushibo, and Doma + Yoriichi's stuff, there was something still just...off in regards to it.

I 100% agree there being something off, but I really don't think it was Jump, at least not the way you're saying. Looking back on it, things have likely been on the wrap up since last year or the year before with how things were being rushed yet feeling slow like how the Red Light District arc felt so unbelievably long, yet that was only one fight. The coming into the next arcs we blaze right through getting very little on most of the pillars especially Kanroji and Obanai and their relationship feeling rushed. The sales were always middle of the road usually being in the 20's and rarely higher than that so it's possible sales were a factor, but mostly I think it's that Gotouge already had the ending rolling out and it was too late to course correct and the backstories for Akaza, Doma, Kokushibo, and Yoriichi were further fleshed out last minute to pad.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Patware posted:

it's not a matter of de-emphasization, if anything you would need to add more to the story. it's a problem of being rushed and skipping steps and pulling powerups from nothing

the red blade sucks so much poo poo. it's literally 'squeeze the sword hard and now you can hurt muzan, but also someone can just smack your sword with their red sword and now your sword's red too'

Yeah I basically zoned out there. The whole See-Through World also felt tacked on as did the overall blade colors thing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mr. Fowl posted:

This is a great ending that ties in with the overall themes of the manga.

Which were...?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mr. Fowl posted:

The argument between Tanjirou and Muzan is one of the arguments behind the series--people fight against evil so that others do not have to bear the burdens that they suffered. Muzan accuses Tanjirou of being selfish for trying to live but ultimately, this is a refutation of selfishness, as the ideology of the demon slayers was one of selflessness for the good of others, laying down their lives so that others wouldn't be dragged into this horrible feud with Muzan and his demons. It's about the ideal attitudes for fighting injustice, arguing against the idea that "if I had to deal with it, you should too!"

Vhak lord of hate posted:

that was very nice chapter.

they showed backstories after each demon died about how they let regret and revenge turn them into demons and tanjirou, through the support of his friends and family, embraces atonement and forgiveness instead and does not turn into a demon. if you missed out on it being laid out over the course of the manga the whole chapter states it in very succinct dialogue and even less subtle visuals i dont know how you did it!

Yeah those were never particularly subtle so I got them. Just...something never stopped being off since those just feel like they could apply and be found in just about EVERY fantasy shonen manga.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

I'm not sure if I prefer the 100 ch later version ending vs the rushed ending. Well, if they do S2 at least we know how it will all end.

They'll be an S2. Too much money not to. Overall, I give the series a 7/10. Overall it was fun, but just too many things didn't get fleshed out and a lot of rather asspull powerups that even then didn't feel like they had any real impact.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Stole this post from somewhere else,

quote:

Some couple confirmations, image spoilers are in for Chapter 205.

Tanjiro and Kanao hooked up, their descendants are a carbon copy of Tanjiro and a gender-bent Kanao, they are brothers, the Tanjiro clone is named Sumihiko Kamado and the Kanao boy clone is named Kanata Kamado.

Zenitsu and Nezuko hooked up, their descendants are a carbon copy of Nezuko and black-haired Zenitsu, they are siblings, Touko Agatsuma is her name, Yoshiteru Agatsuma is his name.

Inosuke's descendant is not part of the new group, in here he is older than everyone, he is a young botanist, the one who finally discovered the Blue Spider Lily, however he is currently being lambasted by the press for mishandling the flower samples, they withered; also his personality is completely different to that of Inosuke, he is meek young man.

Giyu, Sabito and Makomo might have reincarnated since the Giyu-looking child is named as such, they are seen in the street talking as Sumihiko pass by them.

Since the Rengoku boy is named Toujuro he might be Senjuro's descendant, instead of a full blown Kyojuro reincarnation.

Yushiro is alive to this very day, he spends his days painting Tamayo to keep her image alive, he made several paintings, it is shown Tamayo has reincarnated, she is currently a young girl.

Kyojuro's Gaiden one-shot is announced btw.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

I liked the series a lot overall, but I feel there should have been one more Arc between Hantengu and the Infinity Fortress.

For fun this is what I would have done. I would have made the Swordsmith Village Hantengu only he was powerful enough that he could have challenged pretty much everyone there by himself anyway, Tokito could join Mitsuri in battling him. Gyokko I would have saved for the Infinity Fortress, as this would have filled in the missing gap in the Upper Moons. Were Upper 6 and Upper 4 were replaced, but there was no Upper 5 for some reason.

The Arc before Infinity Fortress I think should have been Doma's Cult, and we could have made this a more proper Kanao focus arc, maybe have Oguro's details be here as well. Maybe have Kaigaku as backup to Doma and make him a bigger deal and fight then a guy that just gets effortlessly killed by Zenitsu.

Yeah something like that would've been dope as hell. I'd have had the snake woman from Tokito's backstory turn up as well there with the cult to give him some better flesh out.

Rody One Half posted:

Personally I would put my cut off at Kokushibou. Zenitsu Alter was a bit anemic but really no worse than Hantengu and uh, other guy in Smith village, and Douma absolutely ruled, but Kokushibou was kind of a letdown and where you really started to feel the wrap up rush.

As for the Muzan fight, it's atrocious. It IS super cool that literally every character is pouring out of the woodworks to just dump whatever they've got on him, that part I like. BUT it's just way too long and characters are getting their last minute back stories shoved in before they are killed, and it's right after Kokushibou which was a similar Everybody Pile On deal, and you've got sudden power-ups both from him and the crew, AND It's capping off an arc that has already gone on longer than any of the others that is just nonstop fights with no breather, AND OF COURSE we get that last second demon Tanjirou/human Nezuko business that feels like it was supposed to be an entire arc or even outright act 2 of a longer series.

It drags a series that I was really digging down from like an 8 to a 5, it SUCKS.

The power ups like the mark, red blades, see through world, and what not just made everything so much WORSE to me since it really didn't mean much if anything other than simplified justification to kill everyone off and actually made their sacrifices feel kind of hollow to me. Like, the power ups are hyped as these big game changers and barely do anything to really change their fights in ways that feel significant if at all. It made the character deaths feel like they were done just because dramatic payoff demands they happen and the mark killing them off making it easier to swallow(that and for them to give it their all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Professorjuggalo posted:

I’d give it a 6.5 after it was all said and done, I don’t know how I would feel if I didn’t watch the anime first beforehand though

I remember picking it up when it was new and reading it til just before Spider Mountain and sort of just dropping out of touch and only picked it again since I had heard about the anime. Overall I give it 6.5 to 7.5 depending on my mood at times depending on several variables(cast, fights, world building, lore, character building).