Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i love the characters in this manga and i really wish the power-ups didn't almost universally come out of nowhere and that the overall story wasn't crumbling apart at a breakneck pace

you can really feel the "wrap it up!" crunch mashing into everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the story has indicated that Muzan is the First Demon and all other demons were effectively created by him

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Tightly paced plots are fine, but Yaiba's tight to the point where elements are missing. Genya and Sanemi need an arc or two that would flesh out their relationship, as do Zenitsu and Kaigetsu. All we really know about Kaigetsu is that he trained with the same master and thought Zenitsu was weak. How did Zenitsu even gain the confidence to fight, much less defeat, Kaigetsu? Zenitsu should've gotten an arc similar to the one between Tanjiro and Akaza.

honestly, this isn't even tight. the things that are happening still take a standard shounen length of time to get around to happening, it's just that things are getting crammed down the pipe and everything's spilling out at once and a lot of stuff's getting buried

it's still above black clover to me, which is just moving at a breakneck sprint and barely giving anyone any breathing room. KnY has used its downtime pretty well

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dont bring up black clover when talking about pacing.
This most recent arc took a goddamn year and a half, and all in the same location and presumably everything happening on the same day.

and still managed to make it feel like it was careening from event to event, it just had a gigantic stupid pile of events and characters to chew through

at least KnY's cast is relatively small even after producing the Pillars and giving a couple of them adjacent characters.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I think you can look at Genya to really see how much the pacing is staggering around. I feel like that character was supposed to be the next person in The Crew but instead he's just kind of roped along to having these big finale moments. All the stuff that could've more steadily unfurled about him is being shouted at us from someone passing by in a car.

Plus the power-ups for everyone are just coming hand over fist without being all that well explained, but I've complained about that one more extensively already.

The prettyboy upper moon also I think really got weakened. I feel like that dude should've been a whole arc with the characters having to navigate his hosed up cult instead of his hosed up cult being something we're being directly told about. There's been a lot of telling and a lot less showing.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

https://mangadex.org/chapter/734932/1

not a fan of the final form. he lost some kind of ineffable aristocrat quality i can't put my finger on that made muzan feel distinct to me

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

leave the fedora gotouge you coward

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm very sad that we're done with muzan the fashion plate

i wanted to see him fight in a sharp outfit while keeping his clothes immaculate, alternately clearly not caring about them at all

we never got like a *fight* from anyone against pre-powered up muzan where he was pushed at all, right?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

open anime

place cursor in screen

ctrl+a

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sindai posted:

If you think you feel sad now wait until next chapter when we get the cat's flashback

you think you're joking but i am absolutely confident we'll get some kind of 'what has the deus ex catchina been doing since we completely dropped that entire plotline'

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the gang is cool

this red blade poo poo is the most arbitrary powerup in a sea of arbitrary powerups

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"I could show anything happening... or it could just happen"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

no time for anyone else. only tanjirou

if it ends and the only contribution inosuke made to the climax of the story was 'cut a tentacle off once' i'm going from "KnY got really unfortunately rushed" to "KnY was bad"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the problem is that there aren't really any established rules for most of what's going on anymore so the victory is kinda going to feel like it happened because it's in the script

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

'this is kimetsu no yaiba! we wrote it wrong, as a joke!'

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

except it also sucks and everything is car crashing on top of itself

and inosuke showed up and did nothing!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"I can see the cat's parachute"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

tanjiro just hocking swords ruled

real 'gently caress it' hours tonight

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still shocked that it came down to Tanjiro and Iguro of all people to hold him off for this long.

yeah imagine how cool it'd be if iguro had any screen time at all to establish being like legendarily evasive or something so it wasn't just kind of happening

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if nezuko's role in this final battle is having no powers and just running on-screen to cheer tanjiro on/have a piece eaten/distracting muzan i'm going from putting KnY in the trash to tossing out the entire gotouge

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm gonna stand by the opinion that it's the first half of a very compelling story that then goes off a cliff due to a combination of probably being given a pre-emptive 'wrap it up' and some really amateur hour stuff. KnY is in a weird place where I feel like it would've been greatly strengthened by being less shounen (as impossible as that likely was) because I feel like the abrupt powerups Tanjiro keeps getting in addition to the 'red blade' thing never feel earned. They keep coming out of nowhere in a way that absolutely weakens it as a story because big question marks keep popping up. Like, remember when there was supposed to be a thing about the blade colors in general aside from this 'get a red blade by squeezing your sword real hard' thing?

At the same time, its undeniable that the popularity got a massive boost because ufotable was able to take all the shounen stuff and make it look amazing, so if that stuff wasn't there, that all wouldn't've happened.

What always gets me when I think about KnY kinda going off a cliff is less the actual narrative and more how many character stories went off the cliff with it. I'm not sure what more there was for Tanjiro and to some extent Inosuke, but the only other character I can point to and say had a full, well-written arc is Shinobu. Genya and Kanao in particular were clearly meant to be part of the core gang but the story just never got there and had to rush some stuff forward, along with all the Pillars we didn't spend any time with until we got to this point.

It's not bad, but it's very disappointing.

And frankly as soon as they got Muzan to the surface, this part of the final fight has kinda sucked aside from the mood of it. It's everyone jumping into a blender over and over again until Tanjiro somehow hallucinated a genetic memory. I can handle some rear end-pulling but almost every single powerup has felt like an rear end-pull.

I hope Gotouge's next work isn't shounen. I want to see what they can do without having to shoehorn shounen conventions in.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Professorjuggalo posted:

Muzan is gonna flake off the baby armour and come out as a sephiroth giga bishie for one last fight against tanjiro who’ll somehow recover too, book it

I personally felt the manga started going off the rails way back in the swordsmith arc but the upper moon fight with zenitsu was easily the worst fight I’ve seen in the manga (at least the taste of that one gets washed out with stuff like the doma and akaza fights though)

zenitsu is an absolute plague on the entire thing. he's like usopp without any of the things that make usopp good and cool except for seeing his lightning stuff animated

zenitsu is as bad as inosuke is good

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

It was pretty good when muzan was hit by some cars

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Chapter 200 spoilers

Zenitsu is being patched up near them, he is still alive

:one:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Dexo posted:

calling it Tanjiro's actually dead, Nezuko's the new main character.

new main character of what

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

...reiwa...?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

grouchio pls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RU50U9H1dI

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

inosuke and who?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is KnY going to be the first shounen to run and end without a tournament arc???

because it's clearly about to end

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

It's the same as when Nezuko went demon and it's gonna end the same way but with Nezuko bringing him back.

Cyclical narratives are like writing 101.

Like with the way the series has gone it has to, because to do otherwise means Nezuko has ultimately had no purpose in the story outside of a literal prop that is occasionally a deus ex machina (though you could argue this is just her being a deus ex machina again) and while I'm unimpressed with a lot of KnY I don't think Gotouge would drop the ball on that here at the end.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Alder posted:

:same:

I'm just glad it ended quickly so we can move on to the next arc.

what next arc

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

afaik it's not confirmed to be ending or anything. there could be another arc for all we know

but doing what exactly

unless nezuko fails and the new enemy is evil tanjiro, there's nowhere else to go without basically making a new series or asspulling "and now, america satan!" or something

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah but that would be such absolute trash writing

it would be egregiously ruinous to nezuko's character with the only reward being stretching out the comic past what it should at this point be capable of just to swerve the cyclical narrative expectation

the rewards do not outweigh the costs on that one

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

what character

there are a lot of assumptions going on here but fact is, we don't know this wasn't the plan. I don't see why this has to be bad

if the plan was to subvert the expectations of a cyclical narrative and take away the only possible payoff of a character who has basically spent 3/4ths of the series in a box for this moment, it's a pretty bad plan

i'll grant that there are ways it can be sold to push out into one last arc that will work out in the end but nezuko would need to be the primary character of that arc being out in front doing dope poo poo and i have no reason to be confident that's what'll happen. if nezuko fails and then evil tanjiro arc is like giyuu/zenitsu/inosuke you can keep it

i don't think kimetsu no yaiba is bad but i think it could drop a really critical ball here and i wish i had confidence it wouldn't

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk I think you're making a lot of assumptions here based on nothing. actually most of the complaints about this arc seem to be based on assumptions. like "well the series was cancelled and that's why we don't get character arcs for snake guy or whoever!". but where's the proof of that?

I don't understand getting upset over how you assume things went down in editorial or how you think the author will follow follow current events up

Explain to me exactly which of my points are based on baseless assumption as opposed to rational conclusions based on understanding the structures of storytelling

Also the alternative to the idea that the series got pushed down a hill is that gotouge's just a lovely writer for hanging emotional payoffs to characters we didnt know and rapidly running through their sad flashbacks to get us to know then

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RatHat posted:

Apparently the manga is ending on May 11th, so this will be the penultimate chapter.

drat that's crazy, who could've seen it coming

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's not a matter of de-emphasization, if anything you would need to add more to the story. it's a problem of being rushed and skipping steps and pulling powerups from nothing

the red blade sucks so much poo poo. it's literally 'squeeze the sword hard and now you can hurt muzan, but also someone can just smack your sword with their red sword and now your sword's red too'

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there was clearly supposed to be something about the blade colors mattering, but those colors were only ever established as something that was set when the blade was first drawn. the only other thing that was ever established about them mattering is that black blades were supposed to be a bad omen but that never mattered.

hell didn't kyojuro have a red blade and it wasn't a big deal?

basically: i cannot come around to thinking of it as a hint. it was a dropped thread that gotouge scrambled to pick back up at the very end with no real build because muzan was written to be unreasonably powerful and needing three asspull powerups stacked together to be fought

EDIT: like to be clear i still really like a lot of the characters of KnY but the shounen battle manga components really fell apart really fast

Patware fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 25, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Red Blades hamper Demon Regen.

i'm not particularly confused as to what the three asspull powerups do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Which were...?

'anyone who turned into a demon just didn't want to not turn into a demon hard enough'