Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I haven’t started this yet, but I looked ahead a little and saw something that piqued my interest but I looked and can’t really find a decent synopsis online, so:

I see the main character learns some fire-based moves from his dad, but isn’t his dad dead? Did he learn before his dad died, did his dad not really die, or did ghost-dad teach him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I just caught up with the series, and while what we have gotten is excellent, I do feel it's all rushed, and unnecessarily. I hope whoever said that the anime might flesh out the story more is right, and hopefully with careful notes from Gotōge.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I just hope the anime has some author-penned filler to...well, fill out the areas that are under-explored. But I don't dislike what we're actually getting. It just makes me want more.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Rody One Half posted:

Describing this as a bleachesque trainwreck is insane. It's definitely kind of a rushed ending but before anything else do recall that this thing is probably going to wrap this year, making a solid 4 year run.

Bleach ran for loving FIFTEEN, and was worse for longer than KnY's entire runtime.

Yeah, thanks for phrasing it more succinctly than I could. Comparing this to Bleach of all things is so :psyduck: it hurts.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lurking Haro posted:

Tanjirou learned just by watching and Nezuko might actually be talented.

Tanjirou didn't learn how to use a sword by just watching though. Just the fire dance. He practiced for two years solid to learn how to sword fight.

I definitely agree that Nezuko is there to be partially absorbed, but stave off Muzan enough to activate her fire power so she and Tanjirou can deliver the final blow together.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Inosuke is still best boy. :3

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Tanjiro wasn't on the same level as the legendary dude, but the fact that Muzan has also had however many hundreds of years to grow in power and craftiness counts for something. Maybe if Yorichi fought the Muzan of today, he wouldn't have done as well.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 22, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Well, that was unexpected.

And Inosuke is still best boy.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Dude, loving spoiler tag that poo poo.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Sindai posted:

I think all of KnY is great, though it could still be better with more room to breathe (especially this last bit.)

:same:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is there going to be an issue of Jump this week?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The "monster has a fake family he uses as a front but secretly cares for" was already done in Fullmetal Alchemist with Fuhrer King Bradley and Selim. I'm sure it's been done in other stories too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The cat lived. :3:

I kind of agree that I'm tired of Harry Potter endings, but it doesn't invalidate the rest of the series being enjoyable.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wow, low scores all around. Once again, I'm easy to please. I'd give it an 8.5/10 overall.

Call it cloying, but Tanjirou being so sympathetic to his enemies and generally such a good person was touching to me. The final battle had pacing issues, but the fact it was so terribly grueling and required literally everyone's help, including smashing cars into Muzan felt really cathartic. Muzan himself being an utter coward and piece of crap and only ever treated as such was good. And...well, Inosuke is best boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Jotaro
Kenshiro
Ichigo
Gon
Yugi/Pharaoh

I'm sure there are others. While there are definitely examples of shonen protagonists showing mercy/kindness/empathy to their enemies, I don't think many do to the extent that Tanjirou does. The guy's primary characteristic isn't "energetic" or "passionate" or even "heroic" like a lot of other shonen. It's "kind."

Dunno, felt refreshing to me, though there are a lot of very good shonen boys atm with Deku being a close comparison.