Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm legitimately super pumped over the adaptation now with the ufotable announcement, especially since it essentially means a seasonal schedule. Sometimes good things happen to good series :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ngl Oyakata-sama owned a lot in this chapter.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh right, the panel with him talking about how he'll never be held accountable is loving :discourse: to me and did a great job stoking my desire for him to get his. The sheer simplicity of the matter is oddly effective.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've generally assumed that they rarely get to pick their engagements with the upper moons.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Didn't want to post this in the anime thread 'cause it'd be a dick move but man I'm so glad for it. I'd completely forgotten that Muzan hosed those drunk civilians up because he was called sickly by the time his backstory came up, and it's so great to make that connection.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Today's episode and discussion of it reminded me of how weirdly loving hyped I'm gonna be when the anime makes it to

'cause it's just the perfect loving Muzan page and along with the verbal takedown of him that follows was a great loving leadin to this last arc.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think it's been fine? I don't think there was anything to gain from wasting time on demons that weren't the Upper Moons once the story had reached the point of confronting them.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fabricated posted:

It feels like they got the "wrap it up" signal and then the anime blew up. I imagine editorial is kicking themselves in the rear end a bit over that now.

That doesn't make sense though, since as far as I'm aware the manga has been doing extremely well for quite a while.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

God I loved the Akaza fight and resolution so much.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

that realization over why he was always clinging to his mom really got me :smith:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ngl i got mad as gently caress at that spiteful slash at Yoriichi's corpse.

also it's interesting to me that akaza has been the only upper moon so far to have a...regrettable, I guess, end; given that i don't think it's unfair that you go into this arc wanting him to get his

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I doubt we're getting any kind of sob story for Muzan. We already know his backstory - a debilitating, fatal illness that, through a complete miracle of a doctor, was cured to the point of making him immortal and incredibly powerful with only one slight caveat that was, frankly, an incredibly cheap cost for what he gained in being unable to go into the sun again. And he decided that wasn't good enough. And here we are. His pettiness is incredible.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That last page got me hype af

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I feel like years down the line we're going to find out SJ either didn't like the series or didn't like dealing with the author to the point where they wanted it wrapped up sooner rather than later in spite of it's solid-and-then-exploding sales.Even as someone who's been perfectly content with this arc and thinks it's had some of the best moments of the series with Akaza, Kokushibo, and Doma + Yoriichi's stuff, there was something still just...off in regards to it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sindai posted:

I think all of KnY is great, though it could still be better with more room to breathe (especially this last bit.)

KnY retained a strong narrative core to me, so ultimately I just kind of shrug my loving shoulders at poo poo like the blade colors. That stuff isn't why I read the manga. Some more breathing room here and there would have been nice, largely for pillar development, but it is what it is.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oof, that sucks and would also explain a lot, particularly if this has been an ongoing thing. I hope she made some good bank off the series to alleviate any financial concerns from this situation.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Patware posted:

imo retconning poo poo in to make the villain look like an idiot after the fact weakens everything

I don't think you know what the gently caress a retcon actually is

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I think basically everything up to about halfway into the Infinite Fortress arc was really good 8-9/10 stuff. The one thing from an action writing perspective I think I respect Gotogue for is not being afraid to really gently caress the characters up- yeah they somehow recover mostly from stuff that'd leave you permanently injured but stuff like Tanjirou getting hooked through the loving jaw with a sickle is pretty visceral and a lot of the battle injuries avoided being entirely generic non-fatal slashes and the like. Most of the battles in the series felt appropriately desperate- where you see all these people using breathing techniques to do superhuman moves basically just barely clawing out victories against demons.

Tanjirou is a really good MC too IMO, even if his hero's journey isn't much of a journey outside of powerups.

I think I'd specifically put the manga up until the Muzan fight as you did, generally 8-9/10 stuff. There are things about the Muzan fight I don't like (blade colors and stuff) but at the same time I thought it did a well enough job of depicting an absolutely loving desperate struggle to run out the clock against an absolute monster, and it keeps to the story themes consistently enough that it honestly didn't really crater the manga or anything for me - I'd ultimately probably give the segment a 6 or 7? Ultimately I'll probably rank the manga as a whole an 8 out of 10 regardless of it's issues - Gotogue did a lot of stuff throughout it that left a lasting impression and that I'll remember very fondly for a long time which is more than I can say for several of the manga's non-One Piece contemporaries.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Biggest reason Tanjiro worked is that his kindness was not treated as absolution and the manga was extremely and consistently clear about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He was explicitly drawn to vulnerable people he could take advantage of lol