Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Shiba inus are apparently supposed to be a really expensive breed, so those punks could've just sold the puppy to someone and made a small fortune. Then again, I'm not sure guys who wear FART hoodies (which are sadly missing from Kiwami, irrefutably proving that release to be inferior) in public make the smartest decisions in general.

The correct thing to do, of course, would've been to give the dog all the pets, so those idiots deserved all that face-stomping regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My apologies for the recent lack of updates, I swear this time it's not because I'm a lazy bum. Basically, ChaosArgate is joining in on the next batch of episodes, and there were some unfortunate scheduling issues forcing us to postpone recording the commentary. As punishment, I've cut off part of my username.

I'll definitely be posting something this coming week, though. It'll either be one or two episodes from this batch with me on solo commentary as usual, or a bonus video showing off the PS3 HD Edition if my copy arrives this week.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 24, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Bar of War

We finally find our way to Mizuki's Ares bar, but of course things aren't going to be as simple as that. (How did those Omi Alliance guys even get in? Were we followed? And if so, how did they see us input the code for the elevator?)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 26, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
They got in through plot contrivances! Never underestimate the power of them! ;)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Now that I think of it, maybe they got the code from the Bacchus bartender (who would probably have known it since he was the guy with all the contacts) before killing him. I don't think the game ever establishes who exactly shot up the bar.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It doesn’t but there is a strong suspect we’ll meet later who likes to shoot up things. More than one actually now that I think about it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I wasn't planning on posting this until tomorrow but what the hell, might as well release the bonus episode now.

Bonus 01: Ryu ga Gotoku HD Edition

In this bonus episode, we'll take a look at the Japan-exclusive HD remaster. We get native (or native-ish, there's a border a couple of pixels wide to the right and the bottom but that may just be my cables) 1080p and higher frame rates during gameplay, along with a number of quality of life improvements such as nearly nonexistent load times, more camera control and Yakuza 3 style item storage! This is an excellent way to play the game, at least if you're familiar with the story and/or aren't bothered by the language barrier.

Something I meant to mention in the video but forgot: The pre-rendered FMVs are still low-res and look awful next to the actual gameplay. Fortunately there aren't that many of those in the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I swear I didn't mean to update at almost exactly the same time as the Kiwami thread. But hey, at least you get two Yakuza episodes for the price of one! :v:

Episode 11: Brawl for All (uncut commentary)

ChaosArgate joins me again as we head deeper into Purgatory and meet up with the legendary informant. Then we beat up some men in a cage.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You probably recognize Dwight Schultz from the many video game voices he’s done since Yakuza, including major villains in The Darkness, Spider-Man Web of Shadows, and Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor (and plenty more that don’t continue the whole shadows theme).

Good intro to Komaki in the latest video. I actually did not know you could start his training that early. It gets a lot more brutal later on. The Coliseum too- definitely show off some of the unique Heat actions there if you can please.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 29, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

You probably recognize Dwight Schultz from the many video game voices he’s done since Yakuza, including major villains in The Darkness, Spider-Man Web of Shadows, and Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor.
Don't forget that he played Howling Mad Murdock on The A-Team! I kinda did forget, but that's where I recognized the name from.

quote:

Good intro to Komaki in the latest video. I actually did not know you could start his training that early. It gets a lot more brutal later on. The Coliseum too- definitely show off some of the unique Heat actions there if you can please.
Yeah, some of the the later instances of Komaki's training are among the hardest and most frustrating things in the game. I will be completing all of them, of course. :unsmigghh:

As for the Coliseum, I kinda went for practicality first so I wasn't trying for fancy heat moves, but there is at least one unique one you'll get to see (also, I haven't yet recorded the last couple of tournaments, so I'll still have plenty of opportunity to show off anything I've missed).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 12: Mad Dog at the Bat (uncut commentary)

I am once again joined by ChaosArgate, as we face off with Goro Majima for the first time in the Yakuza series. Here's the Majima fight music without us talking over it, the track is called "Receive You the Prototype".

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 30, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

No new episode just yet, but I do have a nice little behind-the-scenes update for all you four or so people watching this thing.

I've just finished editing the video footage for this LP apart from the last bonus episode, so now it's just a matter of recording a whole bunch of commentary and editing the audio together (you know, a little thing like that). Unless my math has completely failed me, the final episode count should be 33, plus a handful of bonus videos.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 2, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

So... I went back to record some stuff I missed, and discovered I was in fact able to fight the secret boss despite the fact I hadn't actually completed all substories. Like, you've seen me gently caress up two substories, and this is still the exact same save file.

Welp, looks like the bonus episodes just got more interesting. :unsmigghh: Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go bang my head against the wall that is Jo Amon for the next three hours or so. Already got pretty close on the first attempt!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Looking forward to watching your battle, although in my opinion Noa Amon is the toughest member of the Clan.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 13: Chapter 6 Substories, Part One

We help out a bunch of folks in Kamurocho, and beat up a few others. We even use a baseball bat for actually hitting baseballs instead of whacking people in the head with it.

edit: Also, in case you didn't notice, I added some more character bios to the third post.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 6, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 14: Chapter 6 Substories, Part Two

Oh good, we've got a loyal minion, and we also manage to stumble across a rather nefarious plot. Speaking of plot, next time will be a story update again, and I figured I'd put Komaki's training sessions from this chapter into a separate bonus video:

Bonus 02: Komaki's Training

Komaki's going to teach us some moves by throwing baseballs at our junk. There's a couple more training sessions after this, but those will be in the main videos since we only get to do one at a time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That Komaki throwing baseballs at us was the hardest training in the game for me. I wonder if Kiwami kept it or not. If they changed it to something easier... Grrrr.

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
I can't remember if the Kiwami LP did this substory yet, but considering how much of the original game is in Kiwami I would guess that they kept it in the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 15: Young Hearts

Be free tonight. Time is on your side. And so on and so forth.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Would that every love story in this series could have such a good ending. Sadly, most of them don't.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Bonus 03: Coliseum Battles, Part One

We participate in the first set of tournaments available at the Coliseum. In editing, I decided to speed things up a little, because I figured that hearing me go "and then we kick him in the face again" for 20 minutes would've been too boring even by my standards. So, instead of that, you get a sped-up version with some good music.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fun video with great music, thanks!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm glad people are enjoying my stuff even if my view counts aren't exactly setting Youtube on fire. :v: Also, I should probably have listed the songs I used in the last video, so here they are:

"Judgement -Shinpan- (Full Spec Edition)" from Yakuza 0, sung by Takaya Kuroda as Kiryu
"Receive You ~Tech Trance Arrange~" from Yakuza 0
"Pray Me" from Yakuza

I also got my hands on a copy of Yakuza: Dead Souls, so expect an LP of that sometime in the future I guess :shepicide:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Doc M posted:

I also got my hands on a copy of Yakuza: Dead Souls, so expect an LP of that sometime in the future I guess :shepicide:

That's the zombie one? Is it Japanese only?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That's the one with the zombies and other horrible creatures, yeah. Dead Souls, aka Ryu ga Gotoku OF THE END, is the only one of the spinoff games that got an English translation. That most likely happened because Sega thought zombies would sell better than Miyamoto Musashi, but unfortunately Dead Souls is not considered to be nearly as good as the samurai games.

I own a copy of Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan as well, but I won't LP that one since it's all in Japanese (and Egomaniac already did a comprehensive LP of it while providing his own translation). I might do a one-off video of the game after Yakuza 2, but that's it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Looking forward to your work, whatever you do. I thought Dead Souls was very metal.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

edit: poo poo, I accidentally synced the wrong voice track in MeGUI. Let's try that again, shall we?

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 20, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm surprised it took me until episode 16 to gently caress up in catastrophic fashion. Here's the video again, and this time it even comes with the correct audio track!

Episode 16: A Stray Child

Detective Date's estranged daughter seems to be hanging out with the wrong crowd lately, and of course we're going to do what we can to help out our friend. Lots of family drama here in Chapter 6, although to be fair it is called "Fatherhood".

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 21, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 17: Dragon and Carp

Some fairly major plot developments occur, the most significant of them clearly being the fact Nishiki's carp tattoo has almost reached level 20.

We also visit the "Love in Heart" massage parlor and play a minigame that is in no way weird and creepy. :japan: I'd like to think that rather crude SFX after the minigame was added in the localization, but anything is possible with this series. While there is no PS2-era nudity or anything other than heavily implied sexual content here, I'll tag this update as :nws: just to be on the safe side.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That minigame is too weird for my NSFW tastes- I really don't get what they were going for with it. Ugh.

Glad you're updating, hope to see more of the ChaosArgate Kiwami LP soon too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

achtungnight posted:

That minigame is too weird for my NSFW tastes- I really don't get what they were going for with it. Ugh.

Glad you're updating, hope to see more of the ChaosArgate Kiwami LP soon too.

I'm almost done moving! I'll be all settled in by this weekend so I can get back to it within a few weeks!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Okay, so it turns out I have hosed up pretty badly with one of the technical aspects of this LP. What I've been doing here is recording the output from my PS2 through the Micomsoft Framemeister, and that output has slight vertical pillarboxing on the sides like this (I've been messing around with the zoom function and cropping to make it less apparent and remove the horizontal letterboxing):

[tIMG]http://lpix.org/3186905/yakuza03-muxed.mp4_snapshot_06.04_[2018.07.27_07.45.17].jpg[/tIMG]

So, okay, I figured that was just how the PS2's widescreen output looked. Then I finally did a proper side-by-side comparison with the PS3 release, which runs at a full 16:9. I assumed they had just extended the field of view horizontally for this release and removed the pillarboxing, but... well, see for yourself:

[tIMG]http://lpix.org/3186904/rgghd-muxed.mp4_snapshot_11.32_[2018.07.27_07.47.31].jpg[/tIMG]

See how everything is ever so slightly shorter and wider? Yeah, basically how this works is that they stretched the image to fill the 16:9 aspect ratio on the PS3. The mistake I made was not realizing that you're actually supposed to do that yourself with the PS2 output (I read a bunch of stuff about this but only got conflicting information from different sources), so everything in the videos so far has looked too skinny, and I never noticed because it didn't look wrong enough. :eng99: I'll fix the issue in future updates, but so much for me having the best-looking Yakuza 1 LP (unless I re-render all the previous videos, which I will not do because the discrepancy isn't THAT huge).

And this, kids, is why you go to the Sandcastle and/or Tech Support fort before posting your LP like a smug moron who thinks they can do no wrong. :downs:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 27, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, that's enough of my incompetence for now. Time for an update:

Episode 18: Take Your Daughter to Work Day

You know, if I got shot an hour ago, going out on the town would be the least of my worries even if the bullet just grazed my arm like it did Haruka's. Turns out she also loves illegal gambling. What on earth even goes on at the Sunflower Orphanage if all the kids from there turn out like hardcore yakuza?

On a technical note, the aspect is mostly fixed. There is a couple pixels' worth of black border to the right of the image, which was hard to see in any preview so I didn't notice until now. There's also the fact that I used the Framemeister's settings to crop out the horizontal borders and cut out a few pixels off the bottom in the process, so I'll probably also need to stretch the sides out a bit more to get the perfect 16:9 ratio and lose a couple of pixels from there as well. Still, this is now at least close to how the game should look in widescreen mode, and I apologize for my stupid mistake (which probably would've gone unnoticed if I hadn't brought it up myself, but hey).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 27, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 19: Chapter 7 Substories, Part One

In which we float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, or something to that effect.

And in case you missed it, I started a new LP where I play through an obscure port of a classic game -- Resident Evil on the Sega Saturn!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 3, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I missed episode 18 when it first came out somehow. :( Haruka's lucky streak at dice is my favorite moment with her in these games. Sad to be that cheating tattooed dice roller. :)

2nd video comments- Dr. Emoto (his name in the untranslated version, it actually means doctor in Japanese) is a recurring NPC in these games. I agree his bedside manner is lacking, as are some of his medical practices (is hitting people a real treatment for kidney stones? is it ok to smoke in a clinic even if you're the doctor?), but it is not racist to move a child up in the treatment line. And killing people in retaliation for racism without checking to make sure your brother is really dead first... I don't think Martin or Malcolm would support that. Just saying.

The Giant Swing is a hard move for me too- but cool when I can pull it off.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

is hitting people a real treatment for kidney stones?
Hitting people seems to fix most problems in the Yakuza universe! :pseudo:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 20: Haruka's Trust (Chapter 7 Substories, Part Two)

We finish up the last of the substories in Chapter 7, and spend some quality time running around town with Haruka. This kid has an appetite like some sort of a world-devouring eldritch god.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

I think he was just waking him up. I'm not sure that hitting is the standard treatment for someone who's passed out due to pain either, but it makes more sense that knocking a kidney stone loose.

It strikes me that those guys who want to pay you to get them prizes from the claw machines should really just try asking the guy behind the counter. Even if they don't just sell them normally, for ¥200,000 (or even ¥30,000) they'll probably be perfectly happy to break that rule.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

achtungnight posted:

My dad used to get kidney stones all the time and he would just sit in the shower and run it whenever he had to urinate until they passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 21: Brothers of the Oath

BROTHERRR! Oh wait, wrong game. We finally meet up with Nishiki, but our old friend and oath brother is very obviously not the person he once was. Nishiki also brings up something interesting - Yumi's ring was found at the crime scene when the ten billion yen were stolen. Why would she drop her ring so carelessly?

EDIT: You know what, have another bonus video.

Coliseum Battles, Part Two

More sped-up battle arena antics set to music. Today's Coliseum fight schedule is as follows:

Revenge GP: We face off with the same three guys Kage had us fight when we first arrived, including the legendary Gary "Buster" Holmes. Can they finally take down the Dragon of Dojima? Music: Hidenori Shoji - Fly (from Yakuza 3)

Burning GP: I fell into a burning ring of fire. Threw Feldman down and the flames went higher. (I guess that explains why his skin is so red...) In Kiwami, the fire around the ring actually gets bigger over time! Music: Electric Six - Danger! High Voltage (Live)

Sword Duel GP: So now we're slashing each other with swords, knives and cleavers. Good times were had by all. That Bear Killer fellow's fighting style sure does seem familiar, like a mad dog of some sort. Music: Namco Sound Team - The Edge of Soul (from Soul Edge/Soul Blade)

Oh yeah, I'm slightly sequence-breaking the LP here since these fights were recorded at the end of Chapter 8 and you can see a move we haven't learned yet, but I doubt that matters too much to anyone watching this.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 10, 2018